Do people really care if they have to spell their name for others?

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#1 Mozzie1

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

I see a lot of of criticism of names on EB based on the fact that the child will need to spell their name for their whole life. I am just curious if this really bothers people?

I have a name that has been in the top 20 girls names for most of the last 30 years. There is only one commonly used spelling (I have met many women with the same name as me, and we all spell it exactly the same way). And yet, I have to spell it for people all the time. It's never occurred to me that this is a burden, or that it should bother me.

Even if you call your kid something fairly standard like Catherine/Katherine/Kathryn, or Aimee/Amy/Amie, there is a good chance they will need to spell it for people.

So does it bother you when you need to spell your name out? Is it important to you in naming your kids?

#2 jai*

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

Nope. I have to spell my name every single time. Doesn't bother me at all.

#3 Rosie R

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

I have a fairly uncommon name and have to spell it regularly.

It doesn't bother me having to do so. original.gif

#4 wallofdodo

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

My name needs to be both spelled out and the pronunciation usually corrected. The second annoys me more than the first. My mum and I have worked out that she has made a spelling error with my name, which sort of makes it a unique type name.

What annoys me more now is that I am tired of correcting people so there are a lot of people who think my name is something that it is not.

#5 liveworkplay

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

it doesn't bother me more makes me rolleyes.gif. I have one of the commonest 70'a names going. it has only 4 letters yet I still have to spell in 99% of the time. I always spell my last name even though it is relatively simple. so no, I don't think.it's a burden to have to spell your name as most people these days will ask you to spell it no matter what it is.

#6 Luxe

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

I have a unisex name. It doesn't bother me that I have to spell it sometimes. What does annoy me is when I email someone and they can clearly see how it's spelt and they'll spell it the other way instead.

It wont stop me from using a baby name that may need to be spelt when the time comes.

#7 Expelliarmus

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

It drives me nuts. Both having to spell it constantly and correct the pronunciation.

I've stopped even bothering with the latter.

#8 mama123

Nope. Doesn't bother me at all!

I'm not overly keen on my name but I do love that it is un-common. I find it highly annoying if I happen to stumble across someone with the same name as me, it gets so confusing. I don't know how people put up with that! biggrin.gif

I have had to spell my first name my whole life and it is long. Now that I am married I have a surname that needs to spelt out as well. biggrin.gif It doesn't bother me though. You can normally tell whether or not the person is going to have trouble and my usual response once someone has asked me what my name is, is to automatically start spelling it out. Sometimes if I'm in a place that's overcrowded and noisy I'll just ask for the pen and paper and write it out myself but that's few and far between.

I don't think it's a big deal.

#9 Ingrid the Swan

Yes it bugs me.

I have to spell my first name, surname, street, suburb and (if required) my middle name. I've taken to spelling my FN and surname automatically without being asked. Still, more often than nor I still get the wrong spelling or the masculine version of my FN or anything other than a hyphen in my surname (and that's if they've twigged it's actually two names in the first place).

I'm surprised my mail ever makes it to my house.

#10 RumbleBee

I have to spell out both my 9 letter first name and my 10 letter surname.

It doesn't really bother me, and I like having an classic-but-unusual name.

#11 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

My last name is complicated i.e. there's a space and a hyphen. Thankfully my first name is as common as can be, but unfortunately can easily be heard as something else.
It gives me the absolute irrits that I have to spell my name (usually more than once), they can't find me in computer systems, etc.
My children therefore were given their father's white bread boring last name and phonetic first names (but a bit out there). No way was I going to hyphenate their names or given them non-phonetic names. They will still have to spell their names, but at least it won't be multiple times with the same person, over and over and over - hopefully!

#12 libbylu

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

No.  My last name is as common as Jones and I still get asked to spell it sometimes!
I guess what is possibly more annoying or embarrassing is when people cannot read your name out when they see it.  If it is spelled in such an obscure way that it will be constantly mis-pronounced then that would be a PITA I reckon.

#13 cheekymonkeysmum

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

Yep annoys me to tears i have a common name but can be spelt a couple of ways but OMG i am over it every time i go somewhere i have to spell my name i am so F'n over it.

#14 ~buzz~

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

Nope I am the same as you OP my name is very popular been in the top 10 or 20 for years and the only person I have met with it spelt differently is a friends daughter and she is 2 yet I still often get asked to spell it

#15 la di dah

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

As a weirdly named individual, I don't mind spelling it for people at all. Especially if that means they'll actually use the right spelling.

Even mispelling my name doesn't bother me much unless you are close kin (this happens!) or I just signed the email you are replying to and have in fact quoted.

For my own child, I'd choose the common spelling if there were multiple "right" ones, (Amy over Aimee, both are legit but I think Amy looks simpler and easier and is more popular) but I'm nerdy enough to choose the "right" one if the popular one is "wrong," i.e. Aidan over Aiden, because I am a pedant.

But pretty much any name will require spelling, yeah. Nor do I really ascribe to owing the entire Anglo world me naming my kid a common English name.

#16 Amy 1976

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

I have a very uncommon name. I often have to repeat it and/or spell it more than 20 times per day (my job means i talk to new people all day) I also receive endless questions about why I have the name I do.

It bothers me quite a lot to the extent that I often consider changing my name. I think my parents were vain and selfish in choosing the name hey did for me.

I'm obviously biased because of my experience but I think that names should be spelt in the usual way and should be culturally appropriate.

#17 EssentialBludger

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

It's not the end of the world, but I do get tired of saying "Amie with an ie" after awhile. I really wish I was just plain old Amy.

#18 Queen Bey

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE (howdo @ 02/11/2012, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It drives me nuts. Both having to spell it constantly and correct the pronunciation.

I've stopped even bothering with the latter.

Can totally relate.

I even make up names for coffee orders because they will never get it right in a million years. Made me choose a more common and easy to spell name for dd and I am happy in the knowledge that she won't have to spend her life explaining her name to every person she ever meets.

#19 Broxie

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

I have a Dutch first and last name and spell them both for people all the time. I don't love spelling it all the time, but it doesn't upset me.
I named my DS Dean, and every time I tell someone who has to write it down (receptionists, nurses etc), the first question is always 'how do you spell that?'
I don't even think any other way is possible, but with cre8ivitee so rife, I think it's just a standard question now.

Edited by Broxie, 02 November 2012 - 08:25 PM.

#20 her mum

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE (FluffyOscar @ 02/11/2012, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, it sh*ts me to tears. And one of the letters is a 'd', which sounds like 'b', so when I get to it I have to say "d, for dog", because WTF else is an easily understandable word that starts with 'd'?

Having said that, all the uneek names these days mean that even "Jane" could be misspelled.

delta?

#21 mama123

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

I even make up names for coffee orders because they will never get it right in a million years.

I have seriously considered doing this when I am tired and just want to get out of there. biggrin.gif It's such a great idea. I like it when my husband is with me, I just give them his name.

#22 Mozzie1

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

Interesting - so it bothers a few people, but most don't seem to mind. And yet it seems to be such a bug consideration for naming children, at least here on EB.

QUOTE (libbylu @ 02/11/2012, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No.  My last name is as common as Jones and I still get asked to spell it sometimes!
I guess what is possibly more annoying or embarrassing is when people cannot read your name out when they see it.  If it is spelled in such an obscure way that it will be constantly mis-pronounced then that would be a PITA I reckon.

That is an excellent point - luckily all the names we have short listed for this baby can be read phonetically.

QUOTE (la di dah @ 02/11/2012, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even mispelling my name doesn't bother me much unless you are close kin (this happens!) or I just signed the email you are replying to and have in fact quoted.

I get this All. The. Time. And I agree, it's very annoying!

#23 cabbagepatch

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

As someone with a 3 letter name - I hate having to spell it all the time... it's not really that hard!!

Although it didn't make me specifically choose an easier name for my DD - although I don't think you can really spell her name any other way?! I'm sure someone cre8tive could find a way tho Tounge1.gif

#24 tiggy2

I have to spell both first and last name. It really annoys me. I also make up a name for coffee orders, take away orders etc!

I don't bother to correct people anymore, if I recognize you are referring to me I will respond. Even some of my close friends who have known me forever still spell my name wrong.
I really hated it as a child, I was already considered weird coming from another country and not speaking English in a very Anglo school, my name was another way I didn't fit in.
Doesn't seem to have bothered my brother but I hated it.
I've gone for very classic names for my kids.

#25 NotBitzerMaloney

QUOTE (Amy 1976 @ 02/11/2012, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a very uncommon name. I often have to repeat it and/or spell it more than 20 times per day (my job means i talk to new people all day) I also receive endless questions about why I have the name I do.

It bothers me quite a lot to the extent that I often consider changing my name. I think my parents were vain and selfish in choosing the name hey did for me.

I do wonder if my children wil think / say this of their parents. We gave them both very normal middle names, which I would have no problem with them deciding to use if they decide their slightly odd names aren't really for them. Heck, I have no problem if they choose to use totally new first and last names.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win a Mountain Buggy Swift

To celebrate Essential Baby reaching half a million Facebook fans, we have a Mountain Buggy Swift to giveaway to a lucky fan.

Shopping with kids: breaking the pester-power cycle

You're out shopping with your little one and they're incessantly whining that they want a treat. It's easy to say no ... the first time, at least.

eBay jacket may hold clue to murdered girl's identity

A jacket similar to the one found with the remains of a brutally murdered little girl in South Australia has been identified on eBay.

New mum forced back to work early due to paid parental leave 'technicality'

Shelley Parker had to keep driving buses until the date her baby was due and will have to rush back to work at the end of this week after being denied paid parental leave on a "technicality".

Pregnant Amanda Palmer poses naked for book drive

It has to be the most original way ever of promoting a children's book donation day.

The conception dilemma facing many parents today

Some parents who conceived through a sperm donor will be wary of telling the child, while others prefer to deal with it early on. But recent research suggests it makes little difference either way.

The wedding photo the bridesmaid would rather forget

We've probably all seen a passed-out bridesmaid at one wedding or another, but it usually happens towards the end of the night.

Pregnant TV meteorologist takes on haters

Pregnant TV meteorologist Katie Fehlinger has hit back at haters who called her a "sausage in casing".

Honest words from first-time mums

I didn't want to say anything negative to my pregnant friend, but I wish I'd been more honest.

Adorable baby experiences rain for the first time, couldn't be happier

Harper had seen rain from the comfort of indoors before, but had never had the pleasure of being outside and experiencing it first hand.

What it's really like to start a family in your fifties

Many people suppose that it must be much more tiring to have a baby in middle age, but all the mothers in the playground look exhausted, whatever their age.

'Biggest hypocrite ever': Josh Duggar admits to Ashley Madison account

An American reality TV star has been busted with a cheating website account, according to US media.

Long recovery ahead for girl hit by car weeks after baby brother's death

A little girl is more alert and starting to talk after being hit by a car a week ago, but still faces a long recovery.

How to react when a toddler lies

Q: My almost-3-year-old is starting to figure out that he can lie when asked if he ripped the book, threw the food, hit his brother, etc. Totally normal, I know. How do we respond?

The circular experience of a Centrelink client

A mum-to-be experiences the frustration of dealing with Centrelink, myGov and everything in between.

Kelly Clarkson announces live on stage: 'I'm pregnant!'

Singer Kelly Clarkson has announced she is pregnant with her second child during a concert in Los Angeles.

Hack

How to search the leaked Ashley Madison data

At least three sites are republishing Ashley Madison's user data on the public-facing internet.

Mum dances her way through labour

There are a fair few ways to distract yourself and beat pains while in labour, but it's probably a rare woman who chooses her dance her way through it.

'Rest in peace, my little lion': premmie baby Jacob passes away

Baby Jacob, whose photo of him born at just 27 weeks was deemed 'too graphic' for a fundraising site, has died.

Mum killed three young sons 'to help her daughter', prosecutor says

Niall Pilkington's death last summer apparently raised little alarm in Bellefontaine, Ohio. Tragic accidents happen, after all.

Shorter women have shorter pregnancies: study

When a group of researchers studied nearly 3500 mothers and their babies, they noticed a curious pattern.

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Show ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

The worst 20 minutes of my life

Thirty seconds was all it took to turn a shopping trip into my worst nightmare.

Top baby names for England and Wales in 2014

George has overtaken William in the official rankings of most popular British baby names - and Game of Thrones is still having an impact on parents.

Baseball or baby? Dad's tough choice

What's more important, a baby or a baseball? That's a question this dad seems to struggle with.

Childbirth choices: five star or free?

It's not often you hear the words labour and luxury in the same sentence but for some, a 5-star start to parenthood is exactly what they seek. And with a number of private hospitals now offering packages which include a post-birth stay at a sumptuous first class resort, many mums are choosing to recover in style.

'Where did your boobies go, Mummy?' and other soul-destroying comments from kids

Most women carry a smidge of baby weight after giving birth. If you're lucky enough to have an older child in the house, they can keep you on track with your weight loss goals.

Do you read me, baby?

Is it too soon to be reading to my two-month-old son? If not, what should I read?

Minimising sibling rivalry when you've got a baby

Sibling rivalry is an act of competition, but if your children feel involved and special, this type of jealousy will be minimised.

Will studying on maternity leave take you away from your most important job?

I remember when I was trying to decide if I could combine motherhood and furthering my university education.

Win a Pacapod this Father's Day

To celebrate dads and families, we are giving away a Picos Pack from Pacapod Australia filled with a few extra goodies ENTER NOW

Preschooler hit by car shortly after baby brother's death

A mother has had a frantic race to the hospital after her daughter was hit by a car, just four weeks after her infant son died.

Gay couple and Thai surrogate in custody tug-of-war

A six-month-old baby girl is trapped in the Thai capital in a bitter custody wrangle between her Thai surrogate mother and her biological father.

Couple denied IVF over parenting concerns

A mother of six has been denied access to IVF treatment in order to have another child over concerns about her parenting skills.

The book that promises to put your children to sleep

Exhausted parents from around the world are singing the praises of a "miracle" book which promises to put even the most restless child to sleep in just minutes.

5 things every parent who feels guilty needs to know

Parenthood can make you feel bad, but you're not alone.

Royals criticise 'dangerous' attempts to photograph Prince George

The British royal family criticized paparazzi on Friday for what it called their increasingly dangerous attempts to photograph young Prince George.

'No jab, no play' rule to cover Victorian kindergartens and childcare centres

"Anti-vaxxers" face not being able to send their children to childcare centres or kindergarten if they refuse to have them immunised.

15,000 birthing kits on their way to developing countries

Giving birth in a hospital surrounded by medical experts is tough enough, but some women deliver babies without a clean sheet to lie on.

Photo of premmie 'too graphic', fundraising site says

When their son Jacob was born at just 27 weeks, Christina and Jeff Hinks were thrown into an uncertain world.

The latest Bugaboo collections: cool chevron and runner prams

Bugaboo sure likes to keep things fresh, and with the Australian spring/summer season coming up, there are two new Bugaboo pram releases.

Making room for two in the bed

Mum's room or their own room? Cot or bassinets? Deciding where twins will sleep can be tricky.

FREE TICKET

See Hi-5 LIVE in Sydney!

Get your free ticket to The Essential Baby & Toddler Show and save $20 - register online now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.