Do people really care if they have to spell their name for others?

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#1 Mozzie1

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

I see a lot of of criticism of names on EB based on the fact that the child will need to spell their name for their whole life. I am just curious if this really bothers people?

I have a name that has been in the top 20 girls names for most of the last 30 years. There is only one commonly used spelling (I have met many women with the same name as me, and we all spell it exactly the same way). And yet, I have to spell it for people all the time. It's never occurred to me that this is a burden, or that it should bother me.

Even if you call your kid something fairly standard like Catherine/Katherine/Kathryn, or Aimee/Amy/Amie, there is a good chance they will need to spell it for people.

So does it bother you when you need to spell your name out? Is it important to you in naming your kids?

#2 jai*

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

Nope. I have to spell my name every single time. Doesn't bother me at all.

#3 Rosie R

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

I have a fairly uncommon name and have to spell it regularly.

It doesn't bother me having to do so. original.gif

#4 wallofdodo

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

My name needs to be both spelled out and the pronunciation usually corrected. The second annoys me more than the first. My mum and I have worked out that she has made a spelling error with my name, which sort of makes it a unique type name.

What annoys me more now is that I am tired of correcting people so there are a lot of people who think my name is something that it is not.

#5 liveworkplay

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

it doesn't bother me more makes me rolleyes.gif. I have one of the commonest 70'a names going. it has only 4 letters yet I still have to spell in 99% of the time. I always spell my last name even though it is relatively simple. so no, I don't think.it's a burden to have to spell your name as most people these days will ask you to spell it no matter what it is.

#6 Luxe

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

I have a unisex name. It doesn't bother me that I have to spell it sometimes. What does annoy me is when I email someone and they can clearly see how it's spelt and they'll spell it the other way instead.

It wont stop me from using a baby name that may need to be spelt when the time comes.

#7 Expelliarmus

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

It drives me nuts. Both having to spell it constantly and correct the pronunciation.

I've stopped even bothering with the latter.

#8 mama123

Nope. Doesn't bother me at all!

I'm not overly keen on my name but I do love that it is un-common. I find it highly annoying if I happen to stumble across someone with the same name as me, it gets so confusing. I don't know how people put up with that! biggrin.gif

I have had to spell my first name my whole life and it is long. Now that I am married I have a surname that needs to spelt out as well. biggrin.gif It doesn't bother me though. You can normally tell whether or not the person is going to have trouble and my usual response once someone has asked me what my name is, is to automatically start spelling it out. Sometimes if I'm in a place that's overcrowded and noisy I'll just ask for the pen and paper and write it out myself but that's few and far between.

I don't think it's a big deal.

#9 Ingrid the Swan

Yes it bugs me.

I have to spell my first name, surname, street, suburb and (if required) my middle name. I've taken to spelling my FN and surname automatically without being asked. Still, more often than nor I still get the wrong spelling or the masculine version of my FN or anything other than a hyphen in my surname (and that's if they've twigged it's actually two names in the first place).

I'm surprised my mail ever makes it to my house.

#10 RumbleBee

I have to spell out both my 9 letter first name and my 10 letter surname.

It doesn't really bother me, and I like having an classic-but-unusual name.

#11 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

My last name is complicated i.e. there's a space and a hyphen. Thankfully my first name is as common as can be, but unfortunately can easily be heard as something else.
It gives me the absolute irrits that I have to spell my name (usually more than once), they can't find me in computer systems, etc.
My children therefore were given their father's white bread boring last name and phonetic first names (but a bit out there). No way was I going to hyphenate their names or given them non-phonetic names. They will still have to spell their names, but at least it won't be multiple times with the same person, over and over and over - hopefully!

#12 libbylu

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

No.  My last name is as common as Jones and I still get asked to spell it sometimes!
I guess what is possibly more annoying or embarrassing is when people cannot read your name out when they see it.  If it is spelled in such an obscure way that it will be constantly mis-pronounced then that would be a PITA I reckon.

#13 cheekymonkeysmum

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

Yep annoys me to tears i have a common name but can be spelt a couple of ways but OMG i am over it every time i go somewhere i have to spell my name i am so F'n over it.

#14 ~buzz~

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

Nope I am the same as you OP my name is very popular been in the top 10 or 20 for years and the only person I have met with it spelt differently is a friends daughter and she is 2 yet I still often get asked to spell it

#15 la di dah

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

As a weirdly named individual, I don't mind spelling it for people at all. Especially if that means they'll actually use the right spelling.

Even mispelling my name doesn't bother me much unless you are close kin (this happens!) or I just signed the email you are replying to and have in fact quoted.

For my own child, I'd choose the common spelling if there were multiple "right" ones, (Amy over Aimee, both are legit but I think Amy looks simpler and easier and is more popular) but I'm nerdy enough to choose the "right" one if the popular one is "wrong," i.e. Aidan over Aiden, because I am a pedant.

But pretty much any name will require spelling, yeah. Nor do I really ascribe to owing the entire Anglo world me naming my kid a common English name.

#16 Amy 1976

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

I have a very uncommon name. I often have to repeat it and/or spell it more than 20 times per day (my job means i talk to new people all day) I also receive endless questions about why I have the name I do.

It bothers me quite a lot to the extent that I often consider changing my name. I think my parents were vain and selfish in choosing the name hey did for me.

I'm obviously biased because of my experience but I think that names should be spelt in the usual way and should be culturally appropriate.

#17 EssentialBludger

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

It's not the end of the world, but I do get tired of saying "Amie with an ie" after awhile. I really wish I was just plain old Amy.

#18 :::

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE (howdo @ 02/11/2012, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It drives me nuts. Both having to spell it constantly and correct the pronunciation.

I've stopped even bothering with the latter.

Can totally relate.

I even make up names for coffee orders because they will never get it right in a million years. Made me choose a more common and easy to spell name for dd and I am happy in the knowledge that she won't have to spend her life explaining her name to every person she ever meets.

#19 Broxie

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

I have a Dutch first and last name and spell them both for people all the time. I don't love spelling it all the time, but it doesn't upset me.
I named my DS Dean, and every time I tell someone who has to write it down (receptionists, nurses etc), the first question is always 'how do you spell that?'
I don't even think any other way is possible, but with cre8ivitee so rife, I think it's just a standard question now.

Edited by Broxie, 02 November 2012 - 08:25 PM.

#20 her mum

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE (FluffyOscar @ 02/11/2012, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, it sh*ts me to tears. And one of the letters is a 'd', which sounds like 'b', so when I get to it I have to say "d, for dog", because WTF else is an easily understandable word that starts with 'd'?

Having said that, all the uneek names these days mean that even "Jane" could be misspelled.

delta?

#21 mama123

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

I even make up names for coffee orders because they will never get it right in a million years.

I have seriously considered doing this when I am tired and just want to get out of there. biggrin.gif It's such a great idea. I like it when my husband is with me, I just give them his name.

#22 Mozzie1

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

Interesting - so it bothers a few people, but most don't seem to mind. And yet it seems to be such a bug consideration for naming children, at least here on EB.

QUOTE (libbylu @ 02/11/2012, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No.  My last name is as common as Jones and I still get asked to spell it sometimes!
I guess what is possibly more annoying or embarrassing is when people cannot read your name out when they see it.  If it is spelled in such an obscure way that it will be constantly mis-pronounced then that would be a PITA I reckon.

That is an excellent point - luckily all the names we have short listed for this baby can be read phonetically.

QUOTE (la di dah @ 02/11/2012, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even mispelling my name doesn't bother me much unless you are close kin (this happens!) or I just signed the email you are replying to and have in fact quoted.

I get this All. The. Time. And I agree, it's very annoying!

#23 cabbagepatch

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

As someone with a 3 letter name - I hate having to spell it all the time... it's not really that hard!!

Although it didn't make me specifically choose an easier name for my DD - although I don't think you can really spell her name any other way?! I'm sure someone cre8tive could find a way tho Tounge1.gif

#24 tiggy2

I have to spell both first and last name. It really annoys me. I also make up a name for coffee orders, take away orders etc!

I don't bother to correct people anymore, if I recognize you are referring to me I will respond. Even some of my close friends who have known me forever still spell my name wrong.
I really hated it as a child, I was already considered weird coming from another country and not speaking English in a very Anglo school, my name was another way I didn't fit in.
Doesn't seem to have bothered my brother but I hated it.
I've gone for very classic names for my kids.

#25 NotBitzerMaloney

QUOTE (Amy 1976 @ 02/11/2012, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a very uncommon name. I often have to repeat it and/or spell it more than 20 times per day (my job means i talk to new people all day) I also receive endless questions about why I have the name I do.

It bothers me quite a lot to the extent that I often consider changing my name. I think my parents were vain and selfish in choosing the name hey did for me.

I do wonder if my children wil think / say this of their parents. We gave them both very normal middle names, which I would have no problem with them deciding to use if they decide their slightly odd names aren't really for them. Heck, I have no problem if they choose to use totally new first and last names.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

11 things that will happen when you're breastfeeding

After having three children and various degrees of success feeding them all, there's one thing I can tell you: virtually nothing will go as planned.

Surgery for baby born with a tail

A baby born with a tail has had it removed after doctors feared the birth defect might cause long term damage to his lower body.

When 'skin to skin' becomes a family affair

An adorable photo of a little boy and his dad enjoying skin to skin contact with newborn twins is melting hearts everywhere.

35 hilariously weird 'top tips'

Who would have thunk it? We never knew there were so many uses for feminine hygiene products. 

Pregnancy skin woes: acne, dry skin, itchy skin

Here are some of the most common skin complaints in pregnancy and how to tackle them, face on.

Watch this fun dance class for babywearing dads

Is there anything sexier than a babywearing dad?

Parents, this is how to cut grapes to avoid choking

One mum has learnt a harrowing lesson about the best way to cut grapes to make it safe for toddlers and little kids to eat.

When your kids have totally different temperaments

Sometimes it has felt like whiplash parenting. She perches watchfully while I vacuum; he tries to climb on and go for a ride.

How do our stress levels influence our baby?

Since having my second baby a number of people have commented on how placid, content and settled he is and, similarly, many have commented on how this is a reflection of how I am with him.

Separation anxiety isn't just for kids

Despite its prevalence, most doctors tend to be reluctant to diagnose adult patients with separation anxiety.

A charm bracelet, a boy, and my beliefs questioned

I was staring at the face of my son, realising that my once steadfast decision to be open minded was quickly unravelling at the seams.

Why I'm so grateful for Hayden Panettiere's PND honesty

There are baby steps and giant leaps forward. But there are steps backwards, too. And, oh, how they can hurt your heart.

The heartbreaking story of little Moko

The mother of 3-year-old Moko Rangitoheriri said she should have picked up on the signs. {Warning: distressing content}

Kate Beckinsale and teen daughter recreate birth photo

Kate Beckinsale has recreated her daughter Lily's birth photo, 17 years after she was born.

The adult-size stroller you'll want to test drive

It's one of the biggest baby related purchases they will make, so it makes sense that parents-to-be get a chance to road test a stroller.

Pregnancy announcement shows the reality of IVF

It's a long way from baby booties or bump shots people have become accustomed to in social media pregnancy announcements.  

Soleil Moon Frye welcomes fourth baby

"Punky Brewster" is a mom again, for the fourth time. Soleil Moon Frye announced the birth of her baby boy, Story, on Instagram Wednesday.

Mum breastfeeds baby found abandoned on the street

A woman has been praised as a "beautiful mother" after breastfeeding a baby which had been abandoned at the side of a street. 

A birth with a difference: the 'natural caesarean'

We've shared stories of gentle caesareans before, but a new video shows a new option called a 'natural caesarean'.

Baby name inspiration by music genre

If you're all about the music, then you'll need a musical name for that baby. We've got all the lists for you by music genre.

Giving effective instructions to toddlers

One of the most common errors made by parents is in how they give instructions to their children.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

The babies who are one in 70 million

Bethani Webb was excited to find out she was pregnant, but the first time mum did not realise she was carrying four babies not one.

Cafe offers breastfeeding mums a free cup of tea

A Sydney cafe is offering breastfeeding mums free cups of tea in a bid to show support for the right of women to nurse their babies wherever they choose.

To snip or not to snip? When the decision is not clear cut

Jamie Oliver, who considered a vasectomy, is to be a father again. A fellow dad reflects on his own decision 11 years ago

Doctors stunned by rare twins born almost six weeks apart

To everyone's surprise, Kristen Miller "kept doing better each day", keeping her second baby safe.

Baby book ideas for modern parents

Before my son was born I was given a lovely baby book full of blank pages waiting to be filled with weights and heights and first words.

The adorable smile of a baby seeing his mum clearly for the first time

There is no doubt seeing their child smile for the first time is an unforgettable moment for parents everywhere.

Mum tells how toddler 'nearly hung himself' in cot mishap

When Alison Johnson put her 18-month-old Caleb down for a nap, she had no reason to believe her son was in any danger.

Babies are still switched at birth? Yes, it can happen

All my panic and tears aside, my biggest question looking back is about the kind of security measures used in the maternity ward.

Doctors slammed for taking selfie with newborn

Everyone who visits a mum in hospital in the days following childbirth wants to get a photo with the new baby.

ergoPouch Twosie Sleepsuit for winter breastfeeding

Finally, there's a way to keep warm while breastfeeding through winter.

Health check: How long does sex 'normally' last?

What to do with this information? My advice would be to try not to think about it during the throes of passion.

When breastfeeding sucks: fixing common problems

From niplash to tight boobs, biting to milk supply issues, Pinky McKay looks at common breastfeeding issues and how to solve them.

10 things I've learnt in my first six months with twins

Six months on we're all still alive, and the more we get to know each other the easier the days become.

Mum's loving kiss leaves baby fighting for life

Kirsty Carrington thought nothing of giving her newborn son a kiss, little did she know it would leave the baby fighting for life.

When doing chores is your new 'me time'

After children, 'me time' looks a little different.

Get going: 14 travel strollers for families on the move

A stroller can make or break travelling with a baby or toddler. Here are 15 great single travel stroller options.

10 ways toddlers are terrific

It always pays to remind yourself of how terrific toddlers can be - they're little like this for such a short time

Vintage Toys

The toys of your childhood

Take a trip down memory lane with these vinage and retro toys that you may have had in your childhood or your parent's childhood.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.