Public transport users sell me your stroller!
Must be suitable for newborn

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 futureself

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

So, I am in possession of a BJCS for 6 week old DS and I love it. We go on long walks, it's brilliant for grass and gravel etc and the bassinet is awesome.
HOWEVER I don't drive and to get to Mothers group etc I will be on a bus and not all buses have ramp access and even if they do, the BJCS is just too big for me to feel comfortable busing with it.

So, for those that have a very light, very easy to fold stroller - one handed if possible-  that they use on public transport to just zip around please recommend me yours! I'd like to start using it straight away so it does need to recline and have a good basket as well. Don't worry about price, I'll worry about that later.

Edited by futureself, 01 November 2012 - 04:04 PM.

#2 Bunsen

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

If you need to fold up the stroller a large basket isn't necessarily your friend as you'll have to empty it anyway - better to be able to attach a bag that holds everything.

I have a Maclaren Quest which is very light and small, easy to maneuver onto a bus and fit in the fold up seat area if available. Also folds down easily with a baby in one hand - one hand and one foot required - once you've folded it is easy to pick up and put in the storage area. Basket area isn't huge but I find I can put my whole bag in it to just pull out at the bus stop if necessary - small bag tho, not an everything and the kitchen sink bag! You can put the bag over the handles but you need to be careful it doesn't tip.

#3 Lokum

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:40 PM

BCJMini, for the one-handed fold.

For light and compact, Bugaboo Bee. Rear faces as well.

I'd try to get either 2nd hand from ebay/gumtree. If you already have a Select, these two are too exy to buy new.

Otherwise, cheap ($100-ish) Valco strollers. There are some of these which have full recline, good basket and canopy, are light and have small fold. The steering isn't brilliant, they're not great for rough surfaces, but will do the job on footpaths and buses, in shops etc.  

People will come and say McLarens, but apart from marginally better steering, I'm not sure the price hike is justified from the Valcos. You still need a two-handed steer for McLarens, which is why Id go Bee or BCJM if you can.

#4 Bunsen

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

I was going to mention the BJCM for the one handed fold (I have the double, great pram) but I think it would be difficult to get into the storage rack on the bus - something to test out if considering it.

Re the extra cost of Maclarens, I've had mine for over 3 years of heavy use and it's as good as new, worth the money for the quality IMO.

#5 Jen the hen

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

I second the BJCM - we have been taking it on the bus and tram for three years now and it's super. The one handed fold is so great if you get an old style bus. I'm not brilliant at getting it into the storage rack one handed - I can do it but usually take someone out on the way - but my husband is big and strong and can swing it around with a couple of fingers. The other thing is it's quite small so good at getting in and out of crowded buses. The one handed steering is very useful when you have bags and things.

We used to have a valco and it was even lighter and about the same size, but it was a two handed fold which might not be so handy.

#6 agnodice

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

Stuff the pram. Get a good quality sling - the ergo is my recommendation. By the time bub gets too heavy to carry around, he'll be big enough to sit in an el cheapo $25 umbrella stroller from toys r us.

#7 opethmum

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

I have a BJCM and I am a public transport user as I do not drive and it is fantastic. it is light weight, the only thing is that if you place anything in the basket down below make sure it is all together and easy to take out. The one fold system is great. Have the D clip on the handle and make sure you do not have too many bags on it.  

Target is selling also HiPods which have copied the one fold system and is cheaper than the BJCM.

#8 AryaStar

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

I have a MacLaren Daytripper which I think has been re-branded as the Quest.

Brilliant, lightweight, easy one-handed fold and carry. I am on buses and trains all the time and know that feeling when the low floor bus doesn't turn up and you are faced with the prospect of several steps up to get onto the bus and nowhere to store the pram. Such a quick and simple fold down, fits into the seat beside you if needs be.

The only downside is that you need to be careful if you have bags over the handles and the baby is not in the seat because it is light and can topple backwards. This IMO is still secondary to the other benefits.

ETA I think this is a different model to the Quest because it sells for around the $200 mark.

Edited by Shady Lane, 01 November 2012 - 06:24 PM.

#9 Madnesscraves

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

I've been using a steel craft agile at the moment I hate it, but the baby loves it. she prefers it to my Icandy stroller!  cry1.gif
but!! I have heard that the quicksmart stroller may be worth it. you can carry it like a handbag! I think Toys r us sells them Pram

but if you're after a el cheapo I'd just go into big w and pick one up for $35.

I feel your pain about some buses not being pram friendly!

#10 lotsofbots

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

http://www.babykingdom.com.au/Peg+perego+P..._6073_sec0.html

#11 tenar

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

We have a Combi Well-Carry (I think that's the model, might be mixing up the names).  It is a one-handed, really fast fold, easy to do while holding bub in the other hand, and once folded the stroller stands upright (so it doesn't get wet if it's muddy or whatever), and is easily dragged along behind you.  The back lays down fully and I've used it for DD2 since she was born (she's now 15 months, over 12kg and sleeping in it right now).

#12 Paddlepop

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:48 PM

futureself: You're in Brisbane aren't you? If you are, you can contact either the Brisbane City Council or Translink (can't remember which one) and book to have a wheelchair bus turn up. You need to give them 24 hours notice minimum, the bus route number and the exact time that you will be catching the bus. They will then do what they can to make sure a suitable bus does that bus run. I was told this about 2 years ago by the Public Transport Chairperson for the BCC.

Other than that, I have no idea. I don't drive, and pretty much gave up trying to catch public transport with a pram and just stayed home unless my DH could drive me. Every time I tried I would get one of the old buses and have to fold the pram up. Today my DD and I caught the bus into Wickham Terrace to go to a medical appointment with DH, and I didn't take a pram because DD is now old enough to walk for herself thankfully. Ironically, the buses both there and back were wheelchair buses.

#13 futureself

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:48 PM

Thank you everyone! Definitely a few brands to check out that I didn't know about so thank you- one handed fold is definitely the priority. I am a weakling so may have issues with the BJCM and the storage rack!

loysofbots - thank you, that may just tick all the boxes and great price!

QUOTE (MsN @ 01/11/2012, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Stuff the pram. Get a good quality sling - the ergo is my recommendation. By the time bub gets too heavy to carry around, he'll be big enough to sit in an el cheapo $25 umbrella stroller from toys r us.

Very true about the sling, we have a fantastic one at the moment (a Caboo Close carrier)  that DS loves and insists on sleeping in during the day but I do find carrying my bag as well and being 'out' with him in it - bus and quick shopping- a bit annoying.

#14 futureself

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

Paddlepop - I am and I had no idea that you could do that with booking , thanks for the info, who knew!?  original.gif
I just wish the bcc would prioritise replacing all the old buses with accessible ones, it's appalling that so many old buses are still on the roads and those with disabilities are restricted.

#15 --binda--

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

I bus it around with a strider plus - soooooooooon (when I get the funds together, hopefully this weekend), I'll be getting the strider compact, as I love how sturdy the plus has been for us over the last 19 months.

#16 laridae

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

As soomeone who has been catching a bus every day, twice a day since my DD was 5 months old.  I second the Ergo carrier.  And a backpack for your stuff/handbag with a over the head shoulder strap.  Or the add on pouches for the Ergo.
Prams, however big, are a PITA on public transport.  
With an Ergo you can sit down with the baby still strapped in - way easier.

#17 ekbaby

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

Maclaren here, we have the Techno, which I think is similar to the Quest but had some extra accessories.

However we did not really start using a stroller on public transport until DS1 was 18 months- 2 years old- up until that point, it was easier to just carry him in the ergo, and take a backpack for our stuff.

So we probably could have gotten a cheaper Maclaren that does not recline back all the way.

We also have a cheapie $25 Toys R Us jobbie but I found the maclaren super sturdy, did not have to bend over while pushing it, and it has a basket underneath. As PP pointed out, you need to empty the basket if you are folding up pram on the bus, but I just put things in a really big bag (like a supermarket green bag) to make this easy.

I definitely found an umbrella stroller the best, as you can fold it up so it hardly takes up much room, if your bus is crowded, and also it is easy to carry in one hand while climbing up stairs etc at train stations (and still holding your toddlers other hand).

#18 BumpyX

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

I lived in the inner city Sydney with my newborn and caught buses regularly. I used the Bugaboo Bee which I loved. You can lay it flat so baby can sleep, smooth turning circle, light, very easy to fold (push 2 buttons) and you can shorten the handle length to make the stroller more compact.

#19 aquarius9

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

I have a few friends who live in the Inner city and use public transport a lot. Two have got the Bee and one has a BCJM.

#20 LittleSpoon

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

Madnesscraves - do you mind me asking why you hate the Agile? I was planning to get one and would live any feedback. Ta. (Sorry to hijack the thread OP!)

#21 PurpleNess

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

I have a Mclaren Stroller & happily steer it with one hand - all the time....

Mine is a Techno XLR but I believe the Quest is a bit lighter.
As PP says though the storage is not good, you'd be best to use a backpack as hanging things on the handles can unbalance the pram....even though I do it!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Ideas for recording baby milestones

Get the props, lights and camera ready to record the milestone moments in your baby's first months and years. Tip: set a reminder in your phone (or jot it in a calendar) to make sure you remember it every month.

From penis amputation to fatherhood

After a botched circumcision as a child, Mike Moore was left without a penis. Years later, and after meeting the right surgeon, he was able to become a dad - naturally.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Your baby's first shoes, made with your own hands

Imagine someone saying to you, "Your baby?s shoes are magnificent, where?d you get them?" And you reply, "Oh, these? I made them."

Mother bites off pit bull's ear to save toddler

What would you do if your child was being attacked by a vicious dog? One mother recently had to learn the hard way.

Couple dies 15 hours apart after 70 years of marriage

A couple who held hands at breakfast every morning even after 70 years of marriage have died 15 hours apart.

Behind the scenes of Kate and George's cuddly photo

Every face is partially obscured, but there's no denying the happiness and love in the faces of the royal mum and bub.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Your baby?s developmental roadmap

Caring for your new baby can feel like driving along a dark highway without a GPS: you know your destination ? a happy, healthy human being ? but you?re not sure whether you?re heading in the right direction.

Breaking out of the isolation of motherhood

There can be many reasons for mummy isolation ? and you don?t have to be a new mother to feel like you're often doing it all alone. Here, mums share their stories of feeling isolated, and what they do to try to break out of it.

The billionaire baby with $10,000 worth of prams

When money is no object you can go all out when it comes to baby transportation, as this billionaire socialite has shown.

Medication helps depressed mums to breastfeed

Breastfeeding mums are often told their medication may pass into their milk, but a new study suggests the benefits of taking antidepressants are greater than any risks to baby.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.