Help me choose :) Duet or Strider Compact

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 ~RM~

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:58 AM

DS will be nearly 3 when baby arrives, but we live in a very hilly area and the walk to DD's school/his daycare is a round trip of about 3-4k's.

I currently have a MB urban which I LOVE and will probably keep for once I dont need a double pram.

I have thought and thought about it and have decided that for me I want a double even if its just for a year/18m so that I dont HAVE to always carry the baby. DS is quite small too, and wont start school til 5.5yrs old, so I could ptentially be using the double for 18m-2yrs.

After lots of looking online and in person I have come down to 2 choices. Either a MB duet or a Strider compact.

I have the car capsule that fits the travel system for the duet, so would only need to buy the attachment, and can pick up a 2nd hand duet on ebay for $400-$500. I love nearly everything about this pram EXCEPT how big it is when folded. It seems like I would get a good price on resale for it, although it might drop a bit over the next 12-18 months as more become available.

The strider compact is amazing, I love the idea of it being a better single pram, and would probably sell my MB urban if I went this way. Negatives with this are the price, there arent any 2nd hand available, and I would need to buy the pram plus 2nd seat and/or bassinet. Although perhaps I would get more use out of it long term as baby would use it for 3-4 years, and I could always sell the 2nd seat once I was finished with it.

What would you choose and why?

PS I have ruled out other models for different reasons, these are my final two original.gif

Edited by ~RM~, 29 October 2012 - 10:17 AM.

#2 Lokum

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:38 PM

I don't know the Strider Compact well. I'm a dedicated MB fan, and bought a Duet 2nd hand, while keeping my Urban for 'after.'

I do know the original Strider.  I have a friend who loved her Strider3 as a single and found it worked well for her 18 month old and newborn, but not once her #2 was more alert around 4 months old. Then she stopped liking being on the bottom, and the bigger kid wouldn't go in the bottom either. She bought a Duet and is keeping the Strider for when she goes back to a single. (She didn't use a travel system, not sure if this makes a difference?)

Someone close to me has the Strider4, and apart from the size which drove her mad, (obviously improved on by the Compact), she liked it. However, she was given an old 2nd hand MB to use at their holiday house. She loves the MB so much, and finds it steers so beautifully and lightly compared to the Strider4, that they have sent the Strider to the holiday house, and are using the old MB full time. They are still planning to use the Strider4 for when their #2 comes, with travel system.

The fold on the MB Duet is definitely big. Even though the rear width is the same as the Urban, the 4 wheels mean it does take up most of the boot. However, if you keep it in the house, it stands up against the wall by itself, and is not so bad.

#3 dae-gu

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:53 PM

For ease of steering and pushability.....DUET!!!!!!

#4 Six.and.Out

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:58 PM

I looked at both of these when in Melbourne recently and we have chosen the Duet.  

The dimensions are exactly the same as our single pram even when folded, and when it was shown to us it folded much smaller than the strider compact.  There's still a good few cm's difference in the widths of the prams which makes getting into some of our smaller shops where we live incredibly difficult (they wont go through their checkouts or down their narrow aisles)  You can get Duets via online shops here in Aust for less than $600 delivered which we will be doing to take advantage of the warranty period.

#5 ~RM~

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

Thank you everyone original.gif

I think Im pretty set on the MB, now just have to convince DH lol

#6 TillyTake2

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:34 PM

Resurrecting this thread for further opinions!!

I have a MB swift which I love. Am currently leaning towards the strider as its lighter & has a smaller fold. Mostly it will be used for shops, walking to the park & days out (eg zoo).

Anyone NOT like their compact? Pros & cons of both?

Eta: I'll be keeping my swift for times when I only need one in the pram.

Edited by TillyTake2, 13 December 2012 - 09:35 PM.

#7 5andfinished

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

I just bought the Duet and have just put it together...I am in love. I originally wanted the donkey but it was awfully wide, really happy I ended up with the MB

#8 rose_83

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:12 AM

I had this exact dilemma - trying to choose between these two prams. In the end, I have chosen both! blush.gif I got a 2nd hand duet in amazing condition and have just laybyed a Compact. The Duet will stay set up at home for walking and the compact in the car for out and about. I just loved so many features of both that I couldnt choose. I particularly love the option for parent-facing seat on the Compact and the great steering on the Duet.

#9 TillyTake2

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (rose_83 @ 16/12/2012, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had this exact dilemma - trying to choose between these two prams. In the end, I have chosen both! blush.gif I got a 2nd hand duet in amazing condition and have just laybyed a Compact. The Duet will stay set up at home for walking and the compact in the car for out and about. I just loved so many features of both that I couldnt choose. I particularly love the option for parent-facing seat on the Compact and the great steering on the Duet.

Lol, this is what I'm looking at doing  ph34r.gif

If you had to choose, which one would you go for now?

#10 Ellie_83

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

Hi,

If you keep an eye out on ebay i have seen a few Strider compacts be listed with all the extras included.

I'm currently tossing up between the Strider compact and the  baby jogger city select,

cheers

Ellie

#11 bikingbubs

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

I sold my urban before I had #2 and got a BJCS thinking it would suit me for everything...I do like it but - you cant beat a MB.  I still have my BJCS but have also bought the duet. First push out of the driveway and I was in love again...

#12 rose_83

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:38 AM

QUOTE (TillyTake2 @ 04/01/2013, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lol, this is what I'm looking at doing  ph34r.gif

If you had to choose, which one would you go for now?

Well, I'm not entirely sure yet as my second baby is still a few weeks away so I haven't tried them out properly yet. The Compact is still on layby.

I wrote a big pros and cons list before making the decision to get them both and just couldn't choose! I've tried my 2y4m daughter in both and she fits very well with room to grow (in Duet and both top and bottom seat of Compact). She weighs almost 13kg and is quite tall for her age.

I think that the Compact will be slightly better for me than the Duet mainly due to the fact that it can be a single pram if needed (when my older daughter wants to walk) and the parent facing seat option (big plus for me). Also, a friend is lending us her capsule that is compatible for the Compact. I think the Compact will be better than the Duet for shopping and going out and about. Also good if I only have one child with me. I'm hoping to get the Compact off layby soon so I can use it for my daughter now. At the moment I'm using a Mountain Buggy Urban and it would be so much nicer to have the option of being able to have her face me when she feels like a chat. Also, the airflow for naps and the sunshade is much better in the Compact. And bigger basket underneath.

But the Duet will be so handy to have set up at home - just to pop the girls in and walk without having to get the pram in and out of the car. It will also be much better for walking the rough paths and tracks around our house. And I think it will be nice for the siblings to sit next to each other when we're out walking and going to the park etc.

I feel a bit silly getting both, but I just couldn't choose (and am a bit pram obsessed)! I also figure that if I do decide one is way better than the other and only need one, I will sell the other one! I got the Duet second hand quite cheap in very good condition so that is how I keep justifying it!

I'm looking forward to trying them out!

That is probably absolutely no help to you!! Let me know what you're thinking and what you choose! biggrin.gif

#13 lozoodle

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

I just upgraded from a strider plus to a strider compact. OMG I love it, I would totally go with this. So easy to steer one handed etc, plus you aren't stuck with a side by side pram that way.

#14 TillyTake2

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

That is probably absolutely no help to you!! Let me know what you're thinking and what you choose!

Currently I'm thinking I'll buy the strider & a second hand MB double (not the duet, probably the duo). They are around $100 & I could justify that for walks etc.

#15 madammuck

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

We've just bought a Duet for our 2yo DS and DS2 due in eight weeks. We've taken it out a few times (with the bag attachment on the side rather than the second seat) and DS loves it.

I agree with PPs that you'll probably always get more use out of a side-by-side because the kids won't outgrow being sat underneath, and everyone I've spoken to who has a side-by-side says their kids love interacting with each other in the pram as they get older.

BUT, we absolutely wouldn't have been able to fit the Duet in our old sedan, you'd need an SUV or wagon to fit it in the boot. And it's veeeeeery heavy.

We're happy with it though, it works for us biggrin.gif

#16 ~RM~

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:28 AM

We are off for another look today, Im still not sure.

I bought a second hand Phil and Teds Dash of ebay really heap to try out, and its driving me bonkers. Going to sell it will get my money back at least as I got it reaaallly cheap).

Im leaning towards the Strider Compact this week last wek duet lol) because of the rear facing seat, and the fact that it can be a single pram (with DS 2.5 now, and bubs coming end April/early May I think I will get more long term use with the compact). The Duet is SO bulky folded, I wonder if the easy sterring (which yes, I admit I LOVE with my Urban) will outweight this.

Apparently the old Strider capsules fit the Compact too, so I could sell my current one and buy a second hand one (would probably end up ahead $$ doing this too).

FOr those who got both, and verdicts after some use? Could you have gone with one only?

Or any other recent experiences?

#17 leandlittlee

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

Purchased the strider compact this week, and not so fantastic.Previously been a mountain buggy swift user and didn't appreciate how good it was until I got the compact. It is horrible to push on any surface other then the hard smooth bump free flooring of the shopping centre. Even a short walk to our local shops on footpath was almost undo'able. My almost two year old rides in the top and my 7 week old in the bottom. Top seat has suspension but the bottom seat is subjected to every bump and wobble. Nearly impossible to get up even the smallest raise in the pavement. Can't get from the road up the pram ramp without lifting the front wheels, which involves quite an effort. The only advantage to he compaq is that it breaks down to two smaller parts (frame and seat) to fit in the car but even then it takes up my entire boot space of a Subaru liberty. And the seats are a good size and comfy for the little ones.
Go the duet. I know that's what I'll be doing now. Any one interested in a 2nd hand compact? Used for three days and it perfect condition.

#18 ~RM~

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

leandlittlee- bummer! this was my biggest concern, after looking at them on the weekend with DH he was all over the MB and didnt like the Compact at all, for this as the main reason. I actually went into My Baby Warehouse today and put a Duet on layby, got it for $569 (new Evo model too), which seeing as Ive seen them selling 2nd hand for $500 on ebay Im pretty happy with. I reckon you will be able to sell your Strider on Ebay easily thoug, there are literally NONE one there, and they are still a great pram. Good luck.

#19 TillyTake2

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

Arrg, it's so hard!! I this DS will be happier in the compact but I think the duet will be easier to push etc. What to do what to do?!

#20 bubba13

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

I'm currently trying to convince DH to let me buy a MB Duet!! I love the look and sound of it! I currently have a strider plus which I have been pretty happy with until now! I have DS 19m and DD 5m and I'm finding DD is wanting a bit more to look at then just the back of a seat?!

My question is do the kids annoy each other being next to each other? I'm afraid DS will be poking and prodding DD all the time?

#21 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

My Duet arrived yesterday! Love it. Just have to figure out how to put the wheels on and then hide it from DH!

#22 eachschoolholidays

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

I've had a Duet for nearly 18 months - I ordered it from the States before it was widely available here  ph34r.gif

It has been such a great pram.  DD is now nearly 3/12 and can fit in it at a pinch.  She is 101cms and 18kgs!  It pushes really well and is surprising narrow.  It fitted in so many spaces that I thought it would get stuck in.  

I would totally recommend it and am struggling with parting with it and putting it on ebay  cry1.gif

#23 ~RM~

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

I pulled out my urban after my unsuccessful Phil and Teds trial, and OMG its just soooooo much nicer to push! I have absolutely NO regrets about ordering the duet. I even ordered a bassinet (although I doubt it will last long lol its very narrow).

#24 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

Apparently MB are owned or made by P&T. I had no idea. I'm going to get the bassinet attachment too. Took the duet for a test drive around my tiny house and it fit. DS hates it though. Lol

#25 ~RM~

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

Yeah Phil and Ted bought them out a couple of years ago, 2010? 2011? Apparently the older models are better made......

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Mums reveal their nappy bag essentials

Ever wondered what other mums carry in their nappy bags? We have, so we asked mums to tell us their must-have nappy bag items.

Toddler died because he wasn't given antibiotics soon enough

A 15-month-old boy would almost certainly be alive today if doctors had given him antibiotics sooner, a coroner has ruled.

VIDEO: moment a toddler falls on to train tracks in Melbourne

Shocking footage has emerged capturing the moment a pram carrying a toddler rolled off a platform and onto train tracks in suburban Melbourne.

Sold on natural birth? Read the fine print

In the excitement and anticipation of a first pregnancy, I ignored the fine print: some women, some of the time.

Child with alcoholic mum who drank while pregnant won't win pay-out

A young child is not entitled to criminal injuries compensation after her mother drank excessively while pregnant.

Superbugs killing India's babies, posing wider threat

A deadly epidemic that could have global implications is quietly sweeping India, tens of thousands of newborns dying because antibiotics no longer work.

Can you teach a toddler to sleep in?

Parents share their tips on getting their early risers to sleep in, even for just a little bit longer.

Keeping your relationship on track as new parents

About 70 per cent of couples experience a slump in their relationship within three years of having a baby. Here's how we tried to get back on track.

America's favourite baby names of 2014

Americans are turning to television, Netflix and sports for ideas for what to name their wee ones.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.