Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:34 PM

Silver Woohoo!!

#4 Alxeen

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

Bronze!!

#5 Brinny

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:50 PM

Just missed out grrr lol

I had my scan yesterday and bubs had legs crossed and tucked right up in the pelvic area, so they were stumped on gender. They had originally thought boy, but the cord was in the way at the first scan and this time I swear I saw 3 lines and I did get a potty shot that looks like a girl but I don't know how they can say boy, then at the next scan think it could be either......

#6 adl

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

books - Baby Love by Robin Barker  - love it practical and down to earth..

Dr Miriam Stoppard for those that dont know the first thing,  she goes through the care,  in fact I have one I am willing to send on as I dont need it... pm me an address,  it has pics and diagrams!!!

Ist timers - I have been around babies my whole lfe,  my mother kept having them so to me it was natural and yes things have changed .. there are fancy or new ways to do things... but people in the middle of Africa give birth and raise kids without special equipment,  attending lectures and reading experts....

A baby needs love,  food and warmth and a dry bottom....  dont worry overly much,  no one right way .  ( okay carry them head up and support neck there is a right way with that  wink.gif )

MY GF who was pregnant and I watched that film ,  http://en.wikipedia....ki/Babies_(film)  

I highly recommend you watch this to help allay any anxiety about caring for a baby ..  I found it to be so beautiful and basically as there are no words very pwerful but not sad at all!!!!  

Grrrr DH ... he ordered the take away Thai last night,  he doesnt eat anything spicy and told me he got a stir fry chicken,  whcih I was having for lunch today its CHILLI chicken AAAAHHHH the pain, the heartburn!!

i hpe the anxiety calms doen for those feeling overwhelmed... lists help I am very much a list and planner person to help me cope... off to see if half a snickers will help the burn  tongue.gif

#7 *Katey*

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE (Brinny @ 25/10/2012, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just missed out grrr lol

I had my scan yesterday and bubs had legs crossed and tucked right up in the pelvic area, so they were stumped on gender. They had originally thought boy, but the cord was in the way at the first scan and this time I swear I saw 3 lines and I did get a potty shot that looks like a girl but I don't know how they can say boy, then at the next scan think it could be either......

Argh, how frustrating!

#8 *Katey*

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE (adl @ 25/10/2012, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
books - Baby Love by Robin Barker  - love it practical and down to earth..

That must be a good book, as my MIL just bought it for us....

#9 Darwinmummy

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

I can't remember who does 'the list' but can I please be added?

1st baby due March 18th. Based in Darwin. Gender unkown- we will 'try' to find out at next weeks 20wk scan, will wait and see if baby co-operates....

I have nothing to report. All 'symptoms' have gone and I'm feeling suprisingly good, with a newly found baby bump! yippee. (finally).

Only really GAH! thing is that we are STILL living with the in-laws after five months of being in Darwin, as we 'hope' to buy a home so don't want to take out a rental contract. The bank won't give us a loan until we have been in employment for 6 months as all previous employment has been self employed overseas.  

So I haven't really been able to buy anything for baby yet as all of our normal stuff is still boxed up and we have no room at the moment. I'm beginning to really want to buy baby things and prepare-- paint the nursery etc, but can't until we actually have one to paint. Feeling a touch fed up adn frustrated by it all.

sad.gif

#10 Jojo38

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:10 PM

Love Baby Love. Was like having a fantasy mum (because mine doesn't even hold babies). The baby book equivalent of The Cooks Companion...

Redmum - no packing to do really. Removalists will do that - moving house here is nothing like back home. You have about 15 little guys that form a congo line and everything is shrink-wrapped/bubble-wrapped within an inch of it's life. When it arrives in Australia our stuff will probably be dumped on the nature strip by a couple of guys on parole.... We will however need to pack for the next 6 weeks at my Dad's until our container arrives in Melbourne... Not so hard for me cause nothing fits but will be hard to do for DS... It's also the fiddly stuff I hate - tax, advising all the utilities, inspection by agents etc...

Enough avoiding work. Back to it!!! You guys are probably all relaxing on the sofa watching TV... sad.gif

#11 LittleSpoon

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:56 PM

Thanks for the birthday wishes ladies!  I had a lovely day.  Exhausting at work, but a nice dinner and lots of thoughtful treats from DH made my day!

The List - I've been doing the list lately.  But it would be great if whoever is gold, silver or bronze could add the list each time as I often miss the start of each thread.  I'll include it in this post tomorrow (and update your details Darwinmummy) but just about to head to bed.... so sleepy zzz

~Due in March 2013~

28th Feb 2013
lozoodle, Children: 2 (DD3y, DD1y), EDD: 28/2/13 (overdue with last 2), Location: Sydney
Serapod (Sera), Children: FirstTimeMummy, Location: ?

1st March 2013
klizanne (Kimberley), Children: 2 (DS5y, DS3y), Location: Brisbane
bear78, Children: First time mummy, Location: ?
readynow, Children: 4 (DS22y, DD20y, DD17y + DD2y to new DH), Location: ?
Studybug, Children: 1 (DS2.5y), Location: Brisbane
BloomLuka, Children: FirstTimeMummy, Location: ?

2nd March 2013
SurferBoys (Lyndell), Children: 3 (DS5y, DS4y, DS1y), Location: Central Coast
Aminila (Tasha), Children: 2 (DS4y, DD2y), Location: Perth
Jellybean4, Children: ?, Location: ?
clm1982, Children: 1 (DD2y), Location: Adelaide

3rd March 2013
CoconutBaby, Children: First time mummy, Location: Brisbane
happybubba2, Children: 1 (DS4y), Location: ?
magalee (meg), Children: first time mummy, Location: South of Sydney
SarahVandooo, Children: First time mummy, Location: vic

4th March 2013
parker22, Children: First time mummy, Location: ?
Hence, Children: 1 (DD4y), Location: Adelaide
Cookie23, Children: ?, Location: ?
MooMooMum, Children: 1 (DS7m), Location: ?
Nataliah, Children: First time mummy, Location: ?
AJ35, Children: 2 (DD6yr, DS13mths), Location: ?
Zackcat (Lexy), Children: First time mummy, Location: Sydney

5th March 2013
mama123, Children: 3 (4yo, 3yo, 18mo), Location: ?
ChrissyE (Christine), Children: 1 (DD1), Location: Bundaberg
tishka, Children: 1 (DS22mo), Location: Sydney

6th March 2013
EmmaLee (Emily), Children: FirstTimeMummy, Location: ?
~shannon~, Children: DD6, DD2. Location: Central Qld... going to Cairns for the birth as I am aiming for a VBAC water birth.

7th March 2013

8th March 2013

BabyBug44, Children: First time mummy, Location: ?

9th March 2013
Jojo38 (Jo), Children: 1 (DS 3yo) Location: Hong Kong

10th March 2013
sarah_fly (Sara), Children: 1 (3yo), Location: Pilbara WA
linzy, Children: (DS2ys,DS5yrs,DDbornsleeping), Location: ?
Ladeeda (Anna), Children: DD 1 yr, Location: Melbourne
mytimenow, Children: First time mummy, Location: Canberra

11th March 2013
ingrid82 (Ingrid), Children: First time mummy, Location: Sydney
lorywhol (Loretta), Children: 1 (4yo), Location: Perth
Waiting..., Children: ?, Location: ?
3lillboys (Sam), Children: 3 (DS10 DS5 DS4), Location: Blue Mountains NSW
Cloria, Children: First time mummy, Location: Woolongong

12th March 2013
Pium, Children: DS3, Location: Adelaide
Meteorite, Children: 1 (DD17mth), Location: ?
SC99, Children: First time mummy, Location: Woolongong

13th March 2013
Brinny, Children: DS2 DS1, Location: ?

14th March 2013
SlyMonkey, Children: ?, Location: ?
6littleducks (Kirsten), Children: 6 (DD18y, 2xDS13y, DD9y, DS7y, DS1.5), Location: Newcastle
Dreamer_86 (Amy), Children: 1 (DS15mths), Location: Adelaide
Beanbag (Shveta), Children: First time mummy, Location: Brisbane

15th March 2013
Kazzauk (Kaz), Children: First Time Mummy, Location: Sydney
Ozrose (Cristy), Children: 4 (DD14, DS11, DS8, DS2 - DS2 is DH first), Location: WA
LittleSpoon, Children: First time mummy, Location: Victoria
BBV, Children: First time mummy, Location: ?

16th March 2013
becomingmum, Children: FirstTimeMummy, Location: Sydney
BaileyBunny (Bec), Children: DS - 9 months old, Location: Brisbane
Tonberry (Jenna), Children: 2 (DS2.5y, DD1y), EDD: 8-14/3/13, Location: Newcastle
Weis Children: 1 (DD2) Location: Montreal, Quebec
MrsBobby, Children: First time mummy, Location: Perth

17th March 2013
InsertAwesomeHere, Children: 3 (DS6mths, DS2.5yrs,DS5.5 yrs), Location: Western Sydney
*Kell*, Children: First time mummy, Location: Penrith NSW
kungfugirl, Children: 3, Location:?

18th March 2013
theevilcarot, Children: DD 3 yrs in September and DS11mths, Location: Sydney
5ratbags (Suzanne), Children: 7, Location: ?
AugustRush. Children: 4. Location:?
Darwinmummy, Children: first time mummy, Location: Darwin

19th March 2013
kerrymur, Children: FirstTimeMummy, Location: Chermside, Brisbane
antigone_, Children: Two; aged 7 and 5, Location: Sydney

20th March 2013
nikkibaby1 (Nikki), Children: 1 (DS21mths), Location: Brisbane
Meff, Children: 1 (DD23mths), Location: ?
Redmum77, Children: 2 (DD 8, DS 4.5), Location: Brisbane
Stickymicky (Emily), Children: 1 (DD2), Location: Pilbara WA
ness07, Children: DS1, Location: ?
Sparrowfall, Children: FirstTimeMummy/DSS3yrs, Location: Melbourne

21st March 2013
Cyaira, Children: ?, Location: Sydney
cowpermurray, Children: 1 (DS10mths), Location: Central Coast, NSW

22nd March 2013
Peapea, Children: FirstTimeMummy Location: ?
Baire, Children: 1 (DS10mo), Location: Melbourne (predicting a girl)
Minxybug (Karen), Children: 2 (DS 3y, DS 2y), Location: Wales UK, aiming for VBA2C

23rd March 2013

24th March 2013

CarlyCM (Carly), Children: 1 dogchild, Location: Perth
Zombiekitten, Children:1 (DD,11 months) Location: Sunshine Coast/Brisbane Northside

25th March 2013
4plus1make5 (Nicole), Children: 4 (DS 9, DD 5, DD 4, DD 11mths), Location: Sydney NSW
Adl (Anna), Children: 1 (DS2yrs), Location: Sydney
BeccaBoo88 (Bec), Children: 1 step son, Location: Sydney

26th March 2013
Linda6 (Linda), Children: none unless you count the 6 dogs, Location: Northside Brisbane
Swarley, Children: 4 (DS 9yo, DS 7yo, DD 4yo, DS 2yo) Location: Wagga Wagga NSW

27th March 2013
AllegraM (Allegra), Children: 1 (DS- 4 October 2011), Location: North Qld
deefordoula (Dee), Children: 5, Location: Perth
lucky star, Children: DS, Location: Darwin

28th March 2013
lucky star, Children: DS, Location: Darwin
Axleen (Alex), Children: 1 (DD9) Location: Melbourne
mummy.to.one (Nicole), Children: 1 (DS22mths), Location: ?

29th March 2013
WhimsicalDragonfly, Children: FirstTimeMummy, Location: Sydney

30th March 2013
maybereadyagain (Melissa), Children: 1 (angel Born sleeping 11/12/2007), Location: Adelaide

31st March 2013
*Katey* (Katey), Children: First time mummy, Location: Minden, QLD
Donuts08, Children: First time mummy, Location: Bunbury, WA
Naturalgoodness (Sarah), Children: 4 (DS1 19, DD1 17, DS2 7, DD2 4), Location: Adelaide

EDD tbc March 2013
G.K (Georgina), Children: 1 (DD1y), Location: ?
Scrambled Eggs 32, Children: First time mummy, Location: ?
JamieLee85 (Jamie), Children: 2 (DD4y, DS2.5y), Location: Baccus Marsh, Vic
Mardee, Children: FirstTimeMummy, Location: ?
TenaciousC, DS1 - 1 year (14 months), Location: Canberra
robotsimone, Children: ?, Location: ?
reesan, Children: expecting twins, Location: ?
Six.and.Out, Children 5 (DS14, DD13, DS11, DS4 and DD1), Location?

~ANGEL BABIES~

Missing our little angelsā€¦ gone but never forgotten.

Corchen (Belinda) - baby girl Fae at 20 weeks
Only_Ethan
Bubaburns (Amber)
Mashie (Ash)
JuliaD (Julia)
Kellzz
emmy-g
Mrs_G
Enharmonic
Mrs Franks
pinkplane
geckogirl
Chervin (Cherie)

Edited by LittleSpoon, 08 November 2012 - 07:28 AM.

#12 MrsBobby

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:54 PM

So angry at work, had to work loooooots today and didn't get to check in here at all! Why is it that stuff that's annoying is even more annoying when you are pregnant? I really can't be bothered with work much anymore. I have literally worked my a** off for the last few months, trained a new staff member in a new position that's not even mine but that I happen to know, she then left after 6 weeks which is now approx. 4 weeks ago and I have had to do her job plus mine (which is already three jobs in one), worked every Saturday since then plus the new girl doesn't starting for another two weeks. Plus I will then have to train her again... Getting really frustrated. Being pregnant doesn't help! I am counting down the weeks until my mat leave!

I did do some lovely retail therapy tonight, upside on all this overtime=lots of money to spend on clothes... Got two beautiful dresses and some other tops plus my first pair of mat leggings! So comfy! I have been cutting slits in my normal leggings so I could still wear them but thought it might be worth the investment now. original.gif

I will have to check out the books and that movie you guys have recommended, I should probably find out a little bit. I have seen people change a babies diaper but never done it myself or anything else relating to babies... Funny really because I love to hold friend's babies but I haven't really done anything with them! My dad has bought some books for DH to read which are from the dads side of things... Will be interesting to see if he likes them (he hasn't got them yet)!

Darwinmummy, I can understand that you are getting impatient. I couldn't wait to go and buy stuff, all the stuff is so gorgeous and cute! When I was waiting to buy stuff but wouldn't because I was still waiting for test resuts I did loads of internet research and wrote down exactly the stuff I wanted so then when we got the ok I had it all sorted and just needed to buy, maybe that's an idea for you too?!

#13 redmum77

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:07 AM

Morning all,

Katey, thanks honey. Your post to me made me ball! I needed it though, and felt a bit better! I'll see how today goes, I didn't make an apt with the psych in the end so now im hoping ill improve magically on my own wink.gif

Mrs bobby, that sounds completely frustrating! But good about the dresses lol!

It seems a lot of people are getting frustrated, we must be getting wiser and seeing how much people take us for granted all of a sudden!

Jojo - I'm the one on the couch watching tv! Bt I think I'm the only one in here with such a life - all the other lovely women are working their buts off with their kids or jobs. My kids are with their dad these two days, and I don't work any more because it sent me mad (seriously). So yeah, couch it is. Id give anything to be run off my feet with the kids though.

Scan for me today, at 11! I'm going to have my eyes closed though, petrified of seeing babies bits! Plus I get to see DS at speech therapy, woohoo... Right now I'm off to scan the babyology pages once more, and hipkids for some furniture or Christmas presents for the kids original.gif

#14 MrsBobby

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:36 AM

Redmum, good luck for your scan today and I hope you feel better soon!

#15 redmum77

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

Thanks original.gif

We had our scan -- and baby is all fine and kicking lots! The only concern is that s/he is small. Head is in the 13th percentile, and other measurements are up to the 33rd. They have said this before, and the results seem to be slowly getting smaller. The scan at 15 weeks was between the 24th and 36th %ile, and the 12 weeks was 47%ile. Soooo if anyone has experience with this I'd love to hear it. DH has many short family members, my family are huge/tall. My other kids are tall (but different gene mix obviously, from the ex). I'm hoping that's all it is. I'm trying to resist posting in the big forum, but would love to know that this decline can be normal if baby is moving and all the measurements are small.

Will they change my due date? I hope not, it would be the 23rd I think...

Sorry for the 'me' post!

#16 MrsBobby

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

Redmum, not 100% sure but my sister seems to be a similar case. At first her baby was measuring well and now it's on the lower end of the scale... She is not too concerned as she was a small baby too (plus she is superskinny), she is 32 weeks now. Her midwife doesn't seem too worried either. It will be interesting to see what our bubba will be, they said at the US he was spot on but I haven't had the OB appointment afterwards yet, that's on Monday, so not sure if it runs in our family or not. They haven't changed my sisters due date but she reckons her baby will come a week or two early (not sure how she knows that though lol).

Heartburn, OMG I have it bad today!

Nosebleeding as well!! Not happy... Been going on for like a week or two now. It's not very strong (not like it's dripping) but very annoying. sad.gif

#17 clm1982

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE (redmum77 @ 26/10/2012, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks original.gif

We had our scan -- and baby is all fine and kicking lots! The only concern is that s/he is small. Head is in the 13th percentile, and other measurements are up to the 33rd. They have said this before, and the results seem to be slowly getting smaller. The scan at 15 weeks was between the 24th and 36th %ile, and the 12 weeks was 47%ile. Soooo if anyone has experience with this I'd love to hear it. DH has many short family members, my family are huge/tall. My other kids are tall (but different gene mix obviously, from the ex). I'm hoping that's all it is. I'm trying to resist posting in the big forum, but would love to know that this decline can be normal if baby is moving and all the measurements are small.

Sorry for the 'me' post!

mmm no idea Redmum, has your OB/Midwife said anything have they suggested another scan? My Ob said my bubba was an average weight with long legs, im not sure how they work this out  huh.gif

AFM - Not much going on here just plodding along, picking up my purple paint for my feature wall from a friend tonight (hes a painter and gets discount) thats all really. Just counting down the 8 weeks till christmas!

Hope everyone is well!

Edited by clm1982, 26 October 2012 - 02:11 PM.

#18 zackcat

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE (redmum77 @ 26/10/2012, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks original.gif

Sorry for the 'me' post!

Glad the scan went well Redmum and fingers crossed the small measurements don't mean to much to worry about. Was the rest of the scan good? Organs working as expected etc?

#19 Cloria

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

Redmum - This might not even help because I don't know the exact details about sizing %ile, but DP's aunty had a baby through IVF and she went over her EDD (which was spot on due to IVF) and the Drs were telling her that her daughter was too small especially seeing as she was overdue and did she get her dates wrong (wtf?!) and basically trying to force her into a CS. She was meant to have a homebirth. They also had a private midwife who they trusted and the midwife basically said yes baby was rather small but that didn't necessarily indicate a problem. In the end the pressure from the hospital got the better of them and they went with a CS at the hospital and there was absolutely nothing wrong with bub!

Did you say you had/were looking into a Doula? Maybe she can offer you some advice.

And just on a personal-non-educated-on-the-subject opinion 33rd %ile doesnt sound that low to me? That means 33% of other babies are at the size too. That's 1/3!

#20 redmum77

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:05 PM

Zackcat, The other things were all good - organs, heart, kidneys etc. This isn't a big concern I know, I just shouldn't have googled and looked and those bad outcomes.. Silly red.

Cloria - 33rd is fine, just a bit weird with the head being 13th?!?! Small head but tall? I'm forming a weird image of this baby... Plus she was asking about the other two kids, who were big or 50th and DS is now 97th for height.. I do have a stunt doula/midwife, I'll email her.

Mrs bobby, I wonder how it will go for your sister. I also have a weird feeling the baby will be early! I guess I'm on the slimmer side, and with my diet changes I hope this isn't related, might go think up something high protein to eat...

#21 Cloria

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (redmum77 @ 26/10/2012, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
33rd is fine, just a bit weird with the head being 13th?!?! Small head but tall? I'm forming a weird image of this baby...

my DP has a big head and I've been PRAYING for a small baby head  laughing2.gif

#22 MrsBobby

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

Redmum, I will let you know if I hear anything from my sister. She is due in December so beore us, I suppose I should be able to get some information on everything! original.gif also was just thinking if maybe those problems you had with your amniotic fluid might have just held up the growth for a little bit as your body had to put energy towards re building the fluid. A couple of days of less growth might already have a big impact now but might even out later?!

#23 naturalgoodness

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE (Cloria @ 26/10/2012, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We are all praying for a small baby head!  laugh.gif

#24 *Katey*

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE (redmum77 @ 26/10/2012, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks original.gif

Sorry for the 'me' post!

My SIL's baby measured small at their scans. They didn't change her due date, they just put it down to her having a small baby.

Towards the end of the pregnancy (in the last month or so) they started monitoring her every week, as bub was still measuring small. And at 38 weeks, bub hadn't grown in a couple of weeks and was still measuring small, so they induced her.

She was booked in for her induction, had a quick labour, and 5 hours after she got the gel to be induced, had a healthy 5 pound baby girl, no dramas or complications original.gif

After the birth though, their OB did say that her placenta looked small and weak - "A poor excuse for a placenta" I think she said were his exact words Tounge1.gif So that's possibly why bub was so tiny, she may not have been getting enough from the placenta.

She's still small. Apparently their GP guessed the baby was 2 weeks old at their 4 week check up, so she's a tiny little thing. But nevertheless, she's healthy and happy and nothing went/is wrong with her original.gif

Edited by *Katey*, 26 October 2012 - 04:48 PM.

#25 Alxeen

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE (Cloria @ 26/10/2012, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep I am in the same boat!

Redmum I have no knowledge whatsoever to impart sorry. Hopefully it is just one of those 'things', like some parts are growing quicker than others but will catch up.

clm Sound like you are growing a model in there! I'm referring to the long legs wink.gif

Brinny I'm very excited for your surprise! That little one just doesn't want to let you know!

Darwinmummy I've been in that situation with everything in boxes/living temporarily with parents after being away. Pregnancy is such a nesting time, it's so important to feel like you have a home and that's hard work being in between places. Is it realistic you'd buy somewhere and move in before bubs is due?

AFM So I've mentioned before we currently have my 17 y.o. cousin living with us. Essentially things broke down at her home so she came to live with us and we have been somewhat quasi-parents. She's in Year 12 now and guess what....exams time! And she's turning 18 so we're also doing 18th birthday celebrations. It feels like a crazy house at the moment, and all in between me going back to work five days/week, DH starting a new full time job, oh, and the guy running into the back of my car the other day. And DD just generally doing really well with it all and not complaining makes me feel more guilty. Life is still very overwhelming and I'm just so looking forward to everything settling down and being less crazy and more boring.....boring is good, at least just for a little bit before these twins arrive!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Teaching our son to say no to violence against women

Today, on White Ribbon Day - and every other day - we're teaching our son to say no to violence against women.

Mothers told to breastfeed in 'spacious' toilet

If there is one thing the owners of Tillings Cafe can be certain of, it is that the eatery won't win the award for Britain's best baby-friendly coffee shop any time soon.

Mother gives name to son dumped down drain

A woman who admitted to dumping her newborn baby down a Sydney drain has reportedly been allowed to give him a name.

Taking small steps to reduce stress

Are you feeling used up by life's stress, family problems and a demanding job you can't turn off? Many people are way beyond work-life exhaustion. They are functioning as robots.

Bad news: we're running out of chocolate

The world's biggest chocolate-maker says we're running out of chocolate.

Born at 23 weeks, 'Chopstick Baby' survives first week

A baby who was born at 23 weeks has survived her first week of life outside the womb.

Manic stations: the nesting instinct in pregnancy

It might sound like temporary insanity, but almost obsessive nesting as you near your due date isn’t uncommon – even if you’re not usually a particularly clean person.

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

Love has nothing to do with mental illness. But love may drive a mother to do something about it.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong'

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

Christa Engles was changing her baby's nappy when tragedy struck.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.