Taking sides off cot/Moving to bed
When?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Alpha_Chook

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

Eamons cot converts into a toddler bed by removing the sides. At the moment he is sleeping well in it and doesn't appear to be too long. DP is saying we should take the side off so that he can get used to sleeping without a rail keeping him in as he is now 2 and a 1/2 and he needs to get used to it eventually. While I kinda agree with that I also go back to "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I guess my main concern is him walking around the house if he were to wake up at night and as I said, he is sleeping well now, why change things if they don't need to be!!

When and why did you lovely peeps take the side off your cot/toddler bed or move your child into a big bed?

#2 Accidental

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

I moved #1 into a "big girl bed" (which was actually the top bed of a seperated bunk bed set - so low, and fenced) when she turned two. We'll be doing the same with #2, which means #1 will be bumped to a normal single bed (the bottom seperated bunk!) when she's almost four.

We leave the kids in their sleeping bags when we make the switch, so #1 didn't even consider getting out of bed for at least a year, even when she was under normal bedding. Besides, I figure they are going to try the get-back-out-of-bed thing at some stage anyway, so why not make it when they are small enough to a) easily lift back to bed and b) have a shorter attention span, so might give in on staying-in-bed faster!

Good luck.

#3 michellew68

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

I put my DD in a bed a week before her 2nd birthday.
It is conveniently the top bed of bunks so has a rail built in with a gap at one end.

It has been two months and we have not had any trouble with her getting up. She was sleeping through the night before the bed and that hasnt changed. She can get herself in and out at the end of the rail.
In the mornings she stays there and calls out to me until I come, which is fairly quick.

All good for us. go for it!

#4 hayzee fantayzee

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

DD turned 2 last month and she has been in a bed since she was 17 months old.
(It was earlier than what we had planned but DS was due when she was 19mo and we needed the cot.)

We bought her a single bed that when the legs are removed, it is quite low. Nevertheless, we use a bed rail from Target and I used to put spare pillows around the bottom of the bed in case she wriggled down and fell out ( she never did).
I kept the bed like the cot, where she just had a fitted sheet, no pillow and slept in her sleeping bag. She slept like this for a while until I added a pillow ( seems to stop her moving around) and now she has a doona rather than the sleeping bag. Ooh, I also bought her one of those little plastic step things so she can safely get up and down from the bed, she still uses this.

As for getting up and out of bed, we were so lucky that we never had this problem. DD goes to bed and stays in bed as long as she has her bits and bobs around her. The only time she has got up in the night is if she has been ill. We did have gate at her door to start off with but we removed it after a few weeks.

Good luck!

#5 Ruby Gloom

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:51 PM

We tried taking the sides of Leo's cot when he was about 2 and he did NOT like it! He started daycare not long after and we were pleasantly surprised that he slept on the beds there! We've run with the success of that, done lots of talking about "big boy beds" and he'll be getting a toddler bed from Santa. He's very excited.

With my first though, who didnt go to daycare and only had a cot, we waited until he was a little older (closer to three) so we could talk to him about it.

#6 ecb

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

I took the sides off my cots when my girls were 2yrs 3mths when they started climbing between each others cots and one of them fell to the ground on her head. I thought it would be pandemonium when sides came off with the 2 of them playing instead of sleeping. But it was fine. In fact a little over a year later they still call out to me in the night and only get up once it's morning. Personally, though, I'm with you - don't broke what ain't fixed. Some kids are terrible with freedom and sleep goes out the window. I say leave them in their cots until you have to change (i.e. they grow out of it or start to climb out of it).

#7 halcyondays

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:46 PM

I keep mine in their cot until they decide to climb out over the cot rails. I'm in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp.

#8 1miss2littlemen

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:51 PM

take the side off original.gif I took the side off when DD was 17months original.gif and I put a baby gate at the door to her room original.gif
goodluck

#9 theweehaggis

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:47 PM

We moved DD into her toddler bed at 18months as we moved house and thought it would be a good time as any.. we put a baby gate on her room so she doesnt raid thd fridge in the morning but she happily gets up and reads her books til shes bored then calls out to us. Shes always been a good sleeper though so rarely wakes at night.

We are having a house full of visitors over christmas so we will be putting her into a single bed once they leave (34mths).. rather than packing away the single bed and putting her toddler one back up in her room.. Hope the transition goes as smooth as her toddler bed did.

I agree with if its not broke theory.. the only reason we did what we did was following DDs lead.. :-)

#10 Domestic Goddess

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

I put my son in a big boy bed at 18 months. It's actually a really high bed. It has a trundle under it plus drawers under the trundle as well. So the mattress is about 90cm off the floor.
I was quite worried at first and got a toddler rail which I put halfway the mattress and I put big body pillows alongside the bed on the floor.
He fell out twice, until I moved the rail closer to his head and he never fell out again. I removed the toddler rail when he was just 2.

#11 jrmama

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

My  2.5yrold climbed out of her cot and also portacot  at 14 months.  I took 1 side off the cot  and she has slept very well ever since  and still sleeps in the cot like this.  I'm hoping to get another year out of this sleeping arrangement  as she's very small (but agile!)

#12 Exhaustedbuthappy

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:17 AM

wow - I feel really behind.
DS is 2 years and 3 months and I haven't even considered taking the sides down off the cot for another 4-6 months.

#13 *~dee~*

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

My DD went into a toddler bed before 18m, but to be honest slept with me most of the time. She is very tall and could climb over it by then. We switched to a single bed when she turned 2, and I bought a rail for the side. When she turns 3 in a couple of months, I am getting rid of the rail and she doesn't need it now.

#14 Alpha_Chook

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

Just to update, Eamon is still happy in his cot and is sleeping well so I'm not going to change things for now. He is fairly small so fits OK in the cot and isn't trying to climb out

#15 amabanana

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

We got a cot and then used it for decoration.

DD 'fell' out a couple of times (of a single mattress on the floor) when she was around 12mths (about 15cm) but she hasn't fallen out for ages and she is a proper single bed now (At 2yrs 3mths).  The bed she is in now does have a very low rail as it is meant to be a top bunk and will be used as one when she's older.

#16 SeaPrincess

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

Both of my boys moved into full size beds well before they were 2. With DS1 I had the advantage of having both the bed and the cot in his room while he transitioned. With DS2, we moved house when DD was about 6 weeks old and he went into a bed and DD got the cot.  She went into a bed when we moved house when she was 2.5

R

#17 TenOfSwords

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

DD2 is 2 years and 4 months old and a few weeks ago I trialled taking one side off her cot. She was very upset and heartbroken, like I'd taken her comfort toy away. She wouldn't sleep in it, just sobbed her heart out and tried sleeping with DD1 instead. I put the rail back on. She was clearly not ready and probably won't be for a while yet, I imagine.
I'd love for her to be in a bed by the time we are ready to move into our new house, so that we can get rid of the cot during the move.

#18 PippityRoo

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

I took the side off the cot at 18 months for all 3 of my kids. Moved them into a proper bed at around 22-24 months.

I've had no problem with this arrangement with any of them.

#19 cinnabubble

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

Our two year and eight month old is an awesome sleeper in her cot. I'm not messing with the formula until she's toilet trained (at this rate it may be high school) or she outgrows the cot.

The thought of her jumping out of bed and waking her big sister, who she shares a room with, just makes me exhausted.

#20 Paddlepop

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

My DD is 2y9mths and we took the side off her cot a week ago. She had been sleeping really well in the cot, and had no issues with it, and has never climbed out of it. However, about 2 weeks ago she started walking to her bed at bedtime and trying to climb into it, instead of wanting to be carried and put into it by DH. We figured that she was ready to have the side off.

On the day we took the side off, I told DD what was going to happen, and she was very excited. As soon as DH got home from work, she pretty much dragged him into her room so that we could take the side off. She helped us undo the side, put the rail on, put fresh sheets on, put her fluffy toys back into her bed, and generally was a part of everything involved in changing her cot into a toddler bed.

We took the opportunity to ditch her dummies that same night. Once her bed was made and toys in it, she went to put her dummies into her bed. I told her that she wasn't allowed to have dummies in her "big girl" bed, and that the dummy fairy would come and get the dummies to give to a little baby and leave her a thank you present. She wasn't very pleased about this, but it all worked with no tears. She took a little longer to go to sleep, but no problems.

So far she hasn't fallen out of bed, or wandered around at night. Once that girl is asleep, she is asleep until the next morning. We also introduced a pillow, and she is happy with that. It is flattish normal sized pillow. It is only about half of the thickness of an adult pillow.

Overall, we let our DD lead us about when she was ready, and had her be a part of the whole process. For her, it has worked really well.

#21 Lokum

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:42 PM

We put a quilt and flat pillow in DS cot at around 2yrs 3 months. He was moving all around in his sleeping bag, but with pillow and quilt he stayed with his head up the right end.

A few days ago (2 yrs 4 months), we took the side off the cot. Hasn't fallen out, is quite pleased with it. Stays in there after day sleeps and in the night, and still calls out for us to come and get him. We involved him in the action of taking off the side etc.

The new baby will be in a bassinet for a few months, but will then need the cot, so DS practice in the cot with no side will mean he'll be ready to graduate up to a big bed at that time too.

If the new baby wasn't shuffling things along, I might have left it alone for longer. He's still tiny in his cot/toddler bed, and still looks like a baby to me  wub.gif

#22 Covert

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

We put DS in to his bed (king single) a month before he turned 2. The only reason we did it was because we needed the cot for this baby and wanted him to be 100% used to it prior to his brothers arrival.

We had 2 really rough nights and after that everything was perfect.

Once he was in the big boot bed we didn't put his sleeping bag on him anymore for fear he would trip and fall if he got out and started walking around.

He doesn't get out of bed, even in the morning when he wakes up.  He will stand up in bed and yell out for me, like he did in his cot.

#23 BeachedAsBro

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:01 AM

We'll be taking the side off the cot when DD is 18-24 months old. When my friend did it to her her son's bed, she kept his airstrip bumper on the side. He could easily climb out of it, but in the transition period, it also kept him in the bed wink.gif I think we'll do the same thing.

#24 Chillax

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

Both DD and DS moved to a normal single bed at 18 months. I put on one of those bed rails but only left it on as the bed was a pain in the ass to make with it attached.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.