#2 Feral_Is_Me

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

gold

#3 cardcarryingferal

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:25 PM

Silver!

#4 Feral_Is_Me

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

Cardamom - I could do friday but only if morning (eg 8am or 9am. I have a meeting at home at 10:30am and then the rest of the day will be swamped (and its the last yoga at lunch session before they change it to tues afternoons, and I really want to go!). I am also happy to have a stressed filled walk on thursday lunch as well! it might make your day less stressed? anyways, up to you and Congrats on the HD!

everyone sounds like this week is off to a flying start! well done. I went to Zumba at lunch which was great but my next exercise window will be thursday as I have an all day workshop thing off site tomorrow.

and thanks for the thoughts about the promotion - I agree that I think I might have an interview style issue (which is something I never thought I woudl have) but also there are probably development areas too - I have a better feedback session on thurs am.

#5 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

I get a bronze!

#6 cardcarryingferal

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:16 PM

Darn, Friday morning is out for me unfortunately, I'm teaching from 9 til 10. When you say lunchtime yoga, do you mean the class at Club Pink, or is it something your workplace offers? If it's at the gym, I'd love to come along to that with you (cost doesn't worry me). Will put me in a lovely Zen mood for all the packing I'll be doing that night!  tongue.gif  

I'll play it by ear with the Thursday walk if that's okay? Busy is probably a better word for what Thursday will be like, rather than stressed; because of the assignment I have due, I think I'll need every spare minute during my lunchtime gap on Thursday to finish the preparation for tutorials that afternoon.

Have procrastinated away ANOTHER day! Yargh, I need to just do this! This is the second-last essay I have to write for this degree (!!!) and I seem to have some kind of mental block. Note to self: STOP BROWSING THE INTERNET, AND DO YOUR WORK.

#7 claptrap

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:14 PM

I missed out on a medal  cry1.gif
And I feel like I am getting another cold.  Does anyone else find resistance to bugs drops around time period is due?  I hope I can sleep this off, I really feel lousy and I felt fine this morning.  I was really tempted to stage a lightning raid on the aforementioned cookies, 'to make myself feel better".  But I didn't.

I feel like I may have dropped a bit again and tried once more to squeeze into my fave suit.  Nope.  The zip does up but I would not actually be able to sit down lol.

Hope everyone is chugging along ok.

#8 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

Still here, still reading.  

Dogged, my immune system is definitely down around my period.  I almost always end up with a cold sore, or infected pimple etc. As if my self esteem doesn't take a big enough hit at that time. Lol.

#9 seepi

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:23 PM

hi guys

I am still here.

all I am doing is logging all my food on myfitnesspal.
I am eating less real rubbish, but still eating to much and too many snacks.

All I am doing is discovering my bad habits. I haven't really started actually fixing the habits as yet....

I suppose it is a starting point of sorts though.

#10 71Cath

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

Hey all,

Not much new with me, although I am trying something new at breakfast.  I noticed that I was absolutely starving before 9:30, so I have changed my 2 slices of vegemite toast to 1 slice of vegemite toast and 1 slice with low fat ham and cheese (plus my fruit and yogurt).  The extra protein seems to keep me feeling fuller for longer and I can easily last until morning tea at 10:30.  Also morning tea now doesnt need to be huge.  So hopefully a change for the better.

Finding your bad habits is a good start seepi - you need to know what they are before you can work on them.

Hi Spikey, cardomom, Joisme, dogged, AA, and anyone else reading.  I hope everyone is having a good week.

Catherine

#11 claptrap

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:38 PM

Hi AA.  I remember feeling like a beached whale when I was about where you are now.  Hope you are doing ok.

seepi - the work you're doing now is really, really important.
(puts on management consultant hat)
If you can't name it, you can't fix it.

So getting to an understanding of WHY you have lots to lose and what brought you to where you are, is the first step towards doing something about it.

Cath  - protein makes a great difference doesn't it?  I am a total cereal person; even if I were to have an indulgent breakfast of croissants or bacon and eggs, something I really enjoy, I would still feel deprived if there weren't cereal first.  So I have cereal every morning without fail but I do notice that if I veer from my usual protein rich cereal, and go for another one, I do feel more hungry by mid morning.  

I just went skirt shopping.  I am not into my thin clothes yet but have thrown out my really big clothes and consequently have nothing to wear to work.  I had to go down a size, then down again, which was both encouraging and annoying, because how can I be struggling to do up the zip on one and yet fit into another that's 3 sizes smaller according to the label?  Bring on uniform sizing I say.
I also treated myself to a new bra.  My boobs are saggy beyond recognition and need some serious hoisting! but it makes such a difference, I definitely feel more slender and less of a frump.

That pesky cold is still hanging around; I slept 10 hours last night. So I'd better run and get ready for the morn in case I sleep in again!

#12 Feral_Is_Me

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:28 AM

cardamom - I think it may not work out tomorrow sad.gif DH reminded me last time the RE guy came round he was there for 2 hours. so I don't think I should plan on being at the class - which sucks (so I will go to gym in hte morning). maybe when you are up for your exams we can have a catch up after your last one? I hope hte move goes well this weekend.

My appetite increases with my period, and I get extra spots on my face and I get cranky and I feel old and I bloat and I get tired and ... (should have added a warning I am due for my period!) so I would totally believe that your immune system would dip too.

I am cranky today and its a day of back to back meetings from 9 -12 and 2 - 5. oh what a fun day it is going to be.

#13 claptrap

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:40 PM

So, any news anyone?  How was your day? OPM, meh, lausii, other relative newcomers, are you still here?

I ran out of time for lunch today.  There was nothing worth taking in the fridge cupboard; poor planning I know.  I managed a WW muesli bar for morning tea and grabbed a sushi roll whilst on the way to the Medicare office this afternoon.  So now it's not even 5pm and I am thinking about dinner....

#14 seepi

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

Thanks dogged - you are right - at least now I know why I am gaining weight, instead of thinking how I cook such healthy dinners full of vegies, what is going on.

But I really should be at the point of correcting these bad habits now....

anyway - I am home today, so I've been very good - brown toast with homous and cucumber for lunch. No snacks.

the bakery near work is one of my major downfalls and is also expensive - and the calories in bakery food are huge according to Myfitpal, so perhaps next week i will try to have a bakery free week.

Jolisme - I hope you got through the mtgs ok. At least not much chance for endless eating - unless they are catered meetings. I am part time, so I avoid a good few mtgs, but I have to attend an all day mtg next week. fun fun.

Ok - off to make coleslaw and boiled potatoes for dinner. (and sausages.).

#15 cardcarryingferal

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:28 PM

That's okay JoIsMe! I may end up needing to teach a couple of extra classes tomorrow anyway as the other tutor is sick, so that works fine  original.gif  Plus I haven't finished this bleeping essay yet. A catch up some other time sounds great.

Since you asked dogged, my day has been a bit of a mess. I'm at that point in the semester where I'm stressed out of my mind and start to crumble, which results in nightly depressive episodes (ie. crying, anxiety attacks, black thoughts, etc.). In a panic I emailed the lecturer last night to see if there was some kind of alternative arrangement that could be made for this assessment item.

I went to the doctor this morning hoping to see my usual GP who is lovely and reassuring (wanted to get a medical certificate in case I was able to get approval from the lecturer) but sadly he wasn't available, and I had to see some horrible b**ch doctor instead. She fired questions at me in rapid succession, interrupting me as I answered, while I sat and sobbed.

Told me to stop crying, that the problem was that I clearly wasn't working hard enough at uni and have poor study habits, the assessment didn't sound that bad, and I couldn't expect to get anywhere in life if I took this unprofessional attitude into the workplace, and sent me on my way. I wish I hadn't gone, I came out feeling far worse than when I went in. So much for prioritising mental health. When I told her that during these episodes I have recurrent thoughts of death, she replied dismissively "But you haven't got a PLAN to harm yourself, have you? You're not serious about it."

sad.gif

#16 claptrap

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:35 PM

What!! That is appalling, cardamom!  That GP should be hung out to dry for such lack of empathy.  Wow.  Just wow.
I am so sorry that you are feeling so distressed.  I hope it passes rapidly.  bbighug.gif

seepi - even a bakery free day is a start.  Don't aim too high to start with - aim for a realistic goal and achieve it; then you'll be so pleased with yourself you will want to do it again.

#17 cardcarryingferal

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:12 PM

Thanks so much dogged. I was in disbelief, felt semi-hysterical when I left! I was trying to explain how I feel/the thoughts I have, and she kept talking over me repeating "Well, why do you feel that way? Why do you feel that way? WHY do you FEEL that way?" I wanted so badly to shriek "I don't ****ing KNOW, isn't that the whole idea of depression?!"

I know I'll feel instantly better as soon as I get this assignment out of the way. The lecturer kindly offered me an extension, but I really don't want it hanging over my head and spoiling my lovely weekend away. Will keep plugging away. It's not even that long or difficult, I don't know what's wrong with me. I just can't seem to concentrate for more than a few minutes at a time.

#18 claptrap

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:16 PM

What would be the worst that could happen, cardamom?  you have such great marks usually.  Is this one essay really going to determine your entire life?

I know you're a perfectionist (cue playground taunt, "takes one to know one" ) but would it really be the end of the world as we know it were you to just get some words on paper and finish the jolly thing, even if it's not HD material?  (wash my mouth out with soap)

Go on.  I dare you.

#19 cardcarryingferal

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:22 PM

I've been trying to tell myself that very same thing dogged. The options in between never seem to occur to me; it's always: the absolute best I can manage vs. not doing it at all.

Nothing wrong with a nice healthy credit!  cool.gif

#20 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

Hi all, Hi seepi, cath, jo, dogged!

Hey Cardamom bbighug.gif , you're not the only one struggling with the study. I just can't seem to get myself motivated and enthusiastic - and I'm getting behind.  Not as bad as the deadline stuff, but in one sense worse, as I have nothing now to force the issue.

As for that a*s*hole, put a complaint in with the practice manager. That is just not on. You reported feelings of death, which should always be treated seriously. Do you have a Mental Health Plan? If not, book an appointment with the decent GP and do one - include a referral to a psychologist and don't be afraid to use one (I have one that I'd recommend to you, here in Canberra, she's lovely).

I have resumed work. Ugh. I want to go back on holidays.  sad.gif

While I was away, I moved desks. That is to say, I pre-packed all my stuff, and someone else moved them. Planning fail: My coffee and mug were in the box at the bottom of the stack (cue picture of prostrate and desperate Spikey). cry1.gif Unpacking was a serious pain. But I did find my coffee eventually (had to resort to the cafe as an interim measure).

#21 cardcarryingferal

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:40 PM

Thanks Spikey. I'd been wondering whether to put in a complaint, and I think I will. I do have a mental health care plan, and have been seeing a psychologist for the last 3 years or so. I've seen my usual GP about this sort of thing many times, so it's all in my file, and she didn't even look!

I felt like she really minimised how I was feeling (ugh, hate how self-indulgent that sounds, but I can't think how else to phrase it). I said that I was feeling stressed about uni, the binge eating, moving house, etc. "Why are you stressed about moving? You don't want to live with your boyfriend, is that it?" "What are you bingeing for? That won't help anything." "Don't you have any friends to talk to?" (all spoken very aggressively)

laughing2.gif at the thought of you with the coffee. Hope your study stress eases soon; it's nice to know I'm not the only one, though I'm sorry that you're struggling with it too.

#22 claptrap

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:19 PM

You are facing several potentially major life changes at once - no wonder you're feeling overwhelmed!
Spikey is right, you should definitely lodge a complaint.

Spikey, you're also right about the lack of deadline = lack of impetus.  I could be doing a bit of (paid) work right now but I just can't be bothered  ph34r.gif

WW weigh-in tomorrow.  I'm hoping for an encouraging result.

#23 cardcarryingferal

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

Hope tomorrow goes well dogged!

1/3 of the way there! Slow and steady. Am going to post my progress updates in here, just because I find it helps me. There's absolutely no obligation to respond to me! Will probably delete later as I know it's boring as batsh*t  wink.gif

#24 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

Nah, don't delete it, it might spur me into some study action.

#25 cardcarryingferal

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:43 PM

I don't think my progress will be particularly inspiring, but okay  wink.gif

ETA: 900 words to go.

Edited by cardamom, 25 October 2012 - 08:02 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Band

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Band

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.