Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

Hi all

New thread time

Previous thread

Regards

Ali

#2 InsertAwesomeHere

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:27 AM

I've just been diagnosed with GD. I had it first time round, just diet control, skipped 2 pregnancies and here we are again. Pretty sure it's relating to my weight but I was checked early on in pregnancy and sugar levels were fine.

I was just wondering which bread everyone is using. I was using white, got diagnosed (only this wk) so I got helga's wholemeal as it was on sale but it still seems to leave my levels quite high, not over just up there in comparison to everything else I eat.

Can anyone tell me a really good low gi bread please.

#3 rhihoot

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:34 AM

Hi fellow GDer's,

Having read the last thread on GD it's definitely made me adjust my attitude, and knowing I can get support from the lovely women here is very reassuring.

I was diagnosed at 28 weeks, currently 31 weeks and just finished my first 2 weeks testing and keeping a food diary, in prep for dietician visit on Monday.

My situation is slightly different from many of the women I've read so far, I had zero risk factors, am usually labelled as 'underweight' in BMI (am perfectly healthy though), and haven't put on extra weight aside from baby bump throughout my pregnancy. As you can imagine, a massive shock, there's been many tears shed and some very down moments. Guess my pancreas is just a bit slack and struggling to keep up.

Haven't had to change my diet all that much, have had to increase my activity though. Find my levels change day to day even though I might be eating the exact same things, so it all depends on the amount of activity I do. Luckily I do have low fasting levels consistently - hope it stays that way.

Trying to get over the negatives and focus back on having a wonderful birth experience and healthy baby. How is everyone else coping with keeping positive? It's hard when you get a high reading to keep upbeat for the rest of the day.

#4 Becstarinator

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

Hello All,

InsertAwesomeHer... - I'm having success with any of the Burgen breads.  They are all low GI but some are lower if you know what I mean.  Just look on the packet to work out which one is lowest.  They are all very grain bread which wasn't a hard switch for me as we normally eat grainy bread (usually just the woolies one).

rhihoot - welcome to the thread and sorry to hear you need to be here.  I keep reminding myself that there are far worse things that can happen in/to a pregnancy.  At least this is something I can do things to help control it such as eating well.

It didn't come as a total shock to me because I had several risk factors, although I had the same risk factors with my first pregnancy and was lucky enough to pass the tests last time.

I'm still plodding along ok with my BSL's staying under the desired levels.  I am however starting to get over the restrictions of the GI diet.  

I think it has to do with it was my DS 5th birthday last Saturday and I made all the usual "party" foods and then realised I couldn't have any of it and had to watch everyone else eat it...lol.  At least my DS had a great birthday.

Also I'm only 21 weeks so it seems like I have forever still before all this good work and eating will pay off.  

On a positive note though I haven't put on any weight so far so if I continue not to gain too much I should come out lighter in the end.

#5 InsertAwesomeHere

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE (Becstarinator @ 19/10/2012, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello All,

InsertAwesomeHer... - I'm having success with any of the Burgen breads.  They are all low GI but some are lower if you know what I mean.  Just look on the packet to work out which one is lowest.  They are all very grain bread which wasn't a hard switch for me as we normally eat grainy bread (usually just the woolies one).

rhihoot - welcome to the thread and sorry to hear you need to be here.  I keep reminding myself that there are far worse things that can happen in/to a pregnancy.  At least this is something I can do things to help control it such as eating well.

It didn't come as a total shock to me because I had several risk factors, although I had the same risk factors with my first pregnancy and was lucky enough to pass the tests last time.

I'm still plodding along ok with my BSL's staying under the desired levels.  I am however starting to get over the restrictions of the GI diet.  

I think it has to do with it was my DS 5th birthday last Saturday and I made all the usual "party" foods and then realised I couldn't have any of it and had to watch everyone else eat it...lol.  At least my DS had a great birthday.

Also I'm only 21 weeks so it seems like I have forever still before all this good work and eating will pay off.  

On a positive note though I haven't put on any weight so far so if I continue not to gain too much I should come out lighter in the end.

I'm 19 wks tomorrow. I'll give the burgen a go, trust it to be the most expensive bread possible.

I only started the other day and only 2 readings have been over. My first reading ever was because I had a massive carb loaded last dinner and I had a really late dinner by accident last night which put my reading this morning over, by a lot actually. Otherwise it's been stable.

I'm really hoping it stays manageable over the rest of the pregnancy.

I searched www.taste.com.au for diabetes friendly recipes, I found a few but with 3 kids already I'm a stickler for easy meals.

#6 ~spirited~

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:52 AM

Hi everyone, I thought I might join this thread. I was also here 2ish years ago, when I was pregnant with my first. I was diagnosed at 18 weeks last time, tested early as my sister has type 2 and I am overweight. I ended up on insulin almost immediately for my fasting levels, and then for dinner, and then lunch. By the end of my pregnancy I was on over 70 units per day, with over half being slow release before bed.

Once on insulin I knew I would not be allowed to go past 40 weeks. I was induced at 39+4 and DS was born on 39+6, one day early. Yep, it took 46 hours! I was monitored throughout the labour, but didn't need an insulin drip. I was really concerned that the amount of insulin I was on would mean he'd be taken to SCN, but he wasn't. His BSL was monitored (at birth, then twice more) and it was fine. He wasn't given any formula. He didn't latch on immediately after birth so the midwife expressed some colostrum for me and he had that from a syringe. He fed fine after that.

Despite being told he was measuring large at my 35 week growth scan he was born 3.25kg and 51cm, he really was very skinny, but my placenta was fine. I monitored my own BSL post birth and it was fine. Follow up GTT gave me the all clear.

I haven't been tested yet this time, but I have made the decision to follow a GD diet and monitor my levels from next week (now the first trimester nausea seems to be easing). If I find my levels are high, even when following the dietary guidelines, I'm hoping that will be enough of a diagnosis and I can avoid the GTT. I won't have my booking in appointment until around 16 weeks so not sure what to do in the mean time if my levels are high, as I won't have access to the endo and diabetes educator until then.

My previous guidelines were 30g carbs for breakfast/lunch/dinner and 15g for morning tea, arvo tea and supper. Fasting level under 5.0 and 2 hours post meals under 6.7. Does that sound about right?

Looking forward to getting to know you all,

C

Edited by ~spirited~, 20 October 2012 - 11:53 AM.

#7 Becstarinator

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

~spirited~ - I have been told to have 3-4 serves of carbs at main meals and 1-2 serves for snacks.  A serve being 15 grams but I have found if I have potato at dinner I can only have half a cup (1 serve).  I have to be under 5.3 in the morning (fasting) and then under 7.0 two hours after meals.

So far I'm totally diet controlled at the moment so I don't know if those numbers change if I have to use insulin.

#8 Lokum

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:54 PM

HI Ladies!

Insertawsomeness - I second Burgen bread. I can eat a smaller portion of other multigrains, but no wholemeals at all!! I can also get away with Bakers Delight low GI white bread - but I can have a smear of low joule jam on the Burgen, and only Vegemite on the Bakers Delight.

Spirited - yeah, my targets are 5 for fasting, and 6.7 for post meals. Apparently the current/old guidelines are for 5.3 and 7, and the new (unofficial) guidelines for 5 and 6.7 have been in the pipeline since I last had GD 2 years ago!!!  Apparently the 'experts' can't agree on whether to reduce the target levels. My endo thought the peak endo body (whoever they are) would have made an announcement in September, but she's still in favour of more conservative controls for GD for her patients anyway.

Rhihoot - hang in there - I'm sure you'll be fine and GD won't be a big deal.

Becstarinator - sad to hear about the party food! My 'treat' foods are apple and rhubarb crumble (not too much crumble!), or a smallish slice of apple strudel with puff pastry and LOTS of apple (not the thick, shortcrust pastry kind). I can also eat my own recipe banana bread which is very heavy on banana and light on sugar, provided I keep slice size to about half what you get in a cafe.

If I have one of these snacks now and then, I feel like I'm a normal person - because I do have a really sweet tooth, and these are still 'cakes!' I am missing risotto though.

AFM - I'm on 22 units of slow acting insulin over night, and still creeping up. My c/s has been booked for 38+6, as I can't be induced and OB won't let me go past 39 weeks given my last baby's experience. I had a growth scan this week showing healthy, normal sized baby, which is great! I'm having twice-weekly CTGs from next week to keep an eye on him, which is reassuring but time-consuming.

I think if I go into labour before the c/s, I'll have a trial of labour rather than automatically convert to an emerg c/s. It's a pain (LOL)  as the monitoring will be full-on, and I know it might end in a c/s anyway, but I'm dreading the possibility of being separated from baby while I'm stuck and he's off having BSLs and maybe FF (as my first one needed.) At least if I can push him out, I can be with him in SCN and try to keep the colostrum up to him.

Hope you're all having a nice weekend!

#9 Mum2TwoDSs

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:56 PM

Burgen! Smaller piece, super delicious! I am stuck to this brand now.

#10 InsertAwesomeHere

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:38 AM

OK i got the burgen bread to try. I hope for $5 a loaf it works hehe.

I'm wondering with the GD and my high blood pressure if they will let me go overdue. I've been induced once and overdue twice, I seem to go over about 5 days.

#11 Becstarinator

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:27 AM

Hi all,

Back from the diabetic clinic and they are totally happy with how everything is going.  My numbers are good and everything is looking stable at the moment so I don't have to see them again for 3 weeks.

I asked him about feeling off after eating breakfast in the morning and he say it is morning sickness, nothing to do with the GD.  Who would have thought at 22 weeks it would be morning sickness.

Got to run.  Hope everyone else is doing well.

#12 ~spirited~

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:31 AM

I'm having Burgen bread, from the varieties at my woollies the soy linseed had the lowest carbs. I had 2 slices at dinner, and a mango cheek, and my reading was fine. But then I don't know if I have GD yet, so maybe they would have been fine no matter what I ate.

So yesterday was my first day of monitoring and the GD diet. Fasting was high (5.7) but I had a late (9pm) dinner of Chinese food (lots of rice). Breakfast, lunch nd dinner were all fine. I was interested to see what my fasting level was this morning, but my monitor is now out of battery juice! Argh!

InsertAwesomeHere- my hospitals guidelines are 41 weeks for diet controlled, 40 weeks for insulin, 39 weeks for type 1 diabetics.

#13 ~spirited~

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:17 PM

DP

Edited by ~spirited~, 23 October 2012 - 12:20 PM.

#14 InsertAwesomeHere

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

I called to give my results in today and when I was talking to the guy he said I may end up on insulin because of how early the diabetes has come on. He also told me not to avoid carbs to keep my blood sugar levels down as eventually my liver will kick in and make the sugar i'm not eating and my results will be over and I will have just delayed the inevitable.

I find the snacks really hard to fit in but I think im doing ok so far.

#15 rhihoot

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:05 AM

On the old bread topic, discovered Yum! Bread at Coles, is low GI, at least the farmer's grain is, but not sure how it compares to Burgen, it's under $4 though so might be worth checking for those concerned about cost. It's boosted with chia, which has Omega 3 and 6, so good for your heart and joints.

Had a visit with the dietitian, who basically just said keep going as you have... insightful. But at least I'm on the right track. Have had a few high readings, although I could easily pin point why - stuffing oneself, low activity etc. She did advise that I should go for a quick 15 min walk after meals, especially if I'm chained to the desk all day, going to give it a go.

Dr. doesn't seem concerned at all, first thing he said to me was 'Now how does someone like you develop GD?", was hoping he could tell me that! It would be funny if it wasn't such a hassle. Starting to relax about it all though.

My targets are also <5 fasting and <6.7 2 hours after food, so they must be starting to agree.

#16 InsertAwesomeHere

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

Mine are 5.5 fasting and 7 after meals. I wonder why they are all different.

#17 InsertAwesomeHere

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:15 AM

Looks like i'm going to need insulin as I can't get my morning results down.

#18 Lokum

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:34 AM

Hey InsertAwsomeness -

I only failed my GTT because of my fasting levels too. I can't do anything about those - and it's unrelated to what I ate the night before. As long as you haven't eaten in the last 6-8 hours - it's a fasting level, not a post-food level - (so Spirited - it wasn't the Chinese food!!).

I've got pretty good control of my post-meal levels, but no control over my fasting. I'm on 22 units of insulin overnight. It's not that big a deal, but it does mean you have to eat a supper before bed. It also means my OB insists on twice weekly CTGs from 35 weeks on, and is reluctant to have insulin-controlled diabetics go much past 38+4, which can be a bit disappointing (but best for baby IME!)

My endo said what your Dr said - do NOT try to starve yourself of reduce carbs to keep levels down. You and baby need the carbs. It's better to eat right-sized portions of low GI carbs and need insulin, than deprive yourself and put pressure on other parts of your system.

Becstarinator - yours is going great! Well done.

My c/s is scheduled now, so we are making plans for that date, and talking to my endo today to make sure we time the insulin/fasting to make sure baby is delivered at the ideal moment in the BSL cycle. I'm still semi-hoping that I go into labour before then, though I daresay I'll cry and beg for surgery once it gets going!

#19 Becstarinator

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:13 AM

Hi all,

After being over it last week I seem to be back on track.  Went and spent a night at Dad's and he is really good at putting things in perspective...lol.  Also probably tmi but my 5 year old gave us intestinal worms, which I don't think was helping my energy levels and everything was becoming a struggle.  Now they are treated (yes I opted to have the chocolate squares, which are a category B drug so they think it is safe but no one has done research in to it) I'm feeling so much better.

InsertAwesomeHere - sorry to here about the insulin.  My fasting levels have been good and I passed the fasting bit of the test but not at 1 hr or 2 hrs.  I'm really scared about needing insulin but if I need it I guess I'll cope and adjust.  I'm a bit worried because I too was diagnosed early at 15 weeks.

Lokum - must be different knowing when you little one will arrive.  I'm still working on the premise that everything is looking good and I will be allowed to go to 40 weeks plus 10 days but who knows.

Spirited - I'm getting away with eating right so to speak but as soon as I do something wrong like have Macca's for dinner or fish and chips I spike.  So I figure I just have to be good.  The doctors at the diabetic clinic seem to understand though that I'm still a human and once in a while do the wrong thing...lol

rhihoot - I too think it is interesting about the numbers.  My diabetic clinic told me that they aren't concerned unless I'm under 2.5 or over the 5.3 in the morning or 7 at other times.

Well DS in asking for some food so I better go and get him something.

#20 InsertAwesomeHere

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

I called the diabetes clinic today like they asked me to because my numbers were high. The lady was useless. She said to try eating something different after dinner (and sometimes I don't eat the snack because I have dinner so late that i'm not hungry) and see how that goes.

I have my clinic appt next week on Wednesday but I found the guy I spoke to on Tuesday was much more helpful.

#21 Sunshineandsmiles

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:57 PM

Hello there original.gif

Just got my diagnosis today at 15.5 weeks pg.  I had with my DD in 2010 and only found out by chance this time round as i became part of a study for mum's who had had GD before.  I am pretty upset that it is so early and am so worried my head is spinning.  Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of GD this early?

thanks

#22 InsertAwesomeHere

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

I was diagnosed at 18 wks, that's fairly close. There seem to be a few people that have been diagnosed early.

#23 scruff101

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:03 PM

Hello everyone,

I was diagnosed with GD at 10.5 weeks - I already knew I was pre-diabetic (impaired glucose tolerance) thanks to infertility investigations.
After 12 months of no success TTC, we went to the GP where she ordered a series of blood tests to gauge my general health.  My fasting sugar levels were red flagged (5.9) and she made me do the 2hr GTT which I failed (levels were still at 9 at the 2hr mark).  Since then I cut back a lot of sugar, but did not give it up totally.  A follow up blood test 12 months later (Feb this year) revealed better fasting levels - 4.7 I think.
My FS told me that I had a 50% chance of developing GD whether I liked it or not - the odds did not swing in my favor  sad.gif
I'm in no way overweight, I exercise quite a bit and I don't really have a sweet tooth - my condition is unfortunately genetic.

I had to bring up my glucose intolerance at my first OB appointment 2 weeks ago where he made me to the 2r GTT.  However, the results were better than last time - I had a reading of 8.1 at the 2hr mark which I was told is just over the limit.  My diabetes educator is confident that I can control my levels with diet alone.

Sorry about the introductory 'me' thesis - I'll go back and read the previous thread and see where you're all at.
Looking forward to chatting with you all...

#24 ~spirited~

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE (InsertAwesomeHere @ 25/10/2012, 09:15 AM)
15022416[/url]']
Looks like i'm going to need insulin as I can't get my morning results down.

QUOTE (Lokum @ 25/10/2012, 09:34 AM)
15022436[/url]']
Hey InsertAwsomeness -

I only failed my GTT because of my fasting levels too. I can't do anything about those - and it's unrelated to what I ate the night before. As long as you haven't eaten in the last 6-8 hours - it's a fasting level, not a post-food level - (so Spirited - it wasn't the Chinese food!!).

I've got pretty good control of my post-meal levels, but no control over my fasting. I'm on 22 units of insulin overnight. It's not that big a deal, but it does mean you have to eat a supper before bed. It also means my OB insists on twice weekly CTGs from 35 weeks on, and is reluctant to have insulin-controlled diabetics go much past 38+4, which can be a bit disappointing (but best for baby IME!)

Fasting levels are my problem, too. They've been 5.5 or higher since I've started testing, so no, it wasn't the Chinese food!

My hospital has a 40 week limit for insulin controlled, I went in at 39+4 to be induced with DS, and he was born 46 hours later on 39+6

QUOTE (Sunshineandsmiles @ 25/10/2012, 03:57 PM)
15023719[/url]']
Hello there original.gif

Just got my diagnosis today at 15.5 weeks pg.  I had with my DD in 2010 and only found out by chance this time round as i became part of a study for mum's who had had GD before.  I am pretty upset that it is so early and am so worried my head is spinning.  Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of GD this early?

thanks

I was diagnosed at 18 weeks with DS, have not been tested yet this pregnancy (am 11 weeks) but started following the GD diet and monitoring my BSL on Monday.

So, dinner last night, and lunch today, were over 7.0. Eek! and fasting levels have been over 5.5 every day. Not good. I'm thinking I should see my GP and have her refer me for a GTT, or at least see if I can get into the hospital for my booking in appointment sooner than 16 weeks (they won't even speak to you until you are 12 weeks) so I can see the endo and dietician there.

#25 rhihoot

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

Someone mentioned they have trouble with snacking, and I just stumbled across something yesterday, actually my husband did...

He struggles with his weight and was eating nuts as a snack, but wanted to find out which were the healthiest ones, so almonds are apparently awesome for diabetics, there's a few stories I found:

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/diet-and-f...0103-19dn1.html

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2011/Sep/mo...l-92233708.html

http://diabetes.about.com/od/nutrition/a/T...-Of-Almonds.htm

It's mentioned on a few more websites too. They help improve insulin sensitivity, as well as being packed with protein and fibre. I was eating dried fruit to help my bowels, but find I can have them anymore, so am switching to almonds today original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

Tales from the homefront

When you're at work you sort of assume that your house is basically just sitting there quietly doing nothing until you return. However, since spending my days at home, I've learned this couldn't be further from the truth.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Video: Toddler not keen on clean-shaven dad

This little girl thought she was taking part in a standard game of peek-a-boo, but her dad had a surprise for her.

When will I feel like myself again?

At some point I became 'me' again, but not the same me that I was ... and that?s not a bad thing.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Win a House of Magic prize pack

To celebrate the release of the new movie House of Magic, we have 10 double passes and magic sets to give away just in time for these school holidays. Enter Now for a chance to win!

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Couple's bucket list for unborn baby

Jenna and Dan Haley know their baby's time will be limited, so they're packing in a lifetime of memories before he's even born.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.