Dresses that are not frumpy and boxy
Where can I find them?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 paula1

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:40 PM

I've been finding it really hard to find any dresses that are not shaped like sacks, that don't sit just under my buttocks or that my grandmother wouldn't even wear in her greatest depressed state (not dowdy, frumpy or taupe!)

Recently most clothes I have seen are cut in a big square, both tops and dresses. This is not flattering to anyone who has a waist and a bust. According to the sales assisstant at Country Road, most women really like the boxy tops and dresses that are out now....mmm who wouldn't want to look pregnant or 10 kg's overweight!

I'm a size 12 with a waist, a bust and a round behind. I'd like something with a bit of shape that doesn't look like a graduation gown. I'd rather be able to try clothes on in a shop too rather than online.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, I mean casual and dressy!

Thanks

#2 Ruby Gloom

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

I'm wondering if maybe Target isn't your cup of tea since you mentioned Country Road, but they have a BIG selection of dresses at the moment. I have two from there at the moment. Very different shapes and not frumpy, IMO.

#3 paula1

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

Thanks Ruby Gloom,

I'm happy to look anywhere, if it's well cut and looks nice I don't care if it's from the reject shop or David jones!

#4 aphraell

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

going to be ninja.gif as I have the same issue.

I like the 50s style dress (fitted tops, nipped in waist, full skirt etc) but a) they tend to be dressy and b) not easy to find!

#5 Feral timtam

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE (aphraell @ 17/10/2012, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
going to be ninja.gif as I have the same issue.

I like the 50s style dress (fitted tops, nipped in waist, full skirt etc) but a) they tend to be dressy and b) not easy to find!

Target actually seems to have a lot of these at the moment, it's annoying me no end because while I love the dresses that are in there, very few of them are breastfeeding friendly.

#6 EBeditor

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:22 PM

You can add a belt to most dresses to give them more shape. I buy a lot online and seek dresses I know will fit my body type, which is also curvy with a small(er) waist. Leona Edmiston designs her clothes for curves, check out her online boutique.

#7 Ruby Gloom

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:23 PM

Cool original.gif Check them out. I also thought online there's www.ezibuy.com.au but I know you said you'd rather stores than online. To be honest I've had the same trouble to a degree. While I don't MIND the ones I've found, I still find myself trawling online.

Oh I just thought of Modcloth too (www.modcloth.com.au ? ). Someone mentioned it in another thread recently and I've been looking ever since!

#8 summer80

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

Witchery and Seed Femme have some gorgeous stuff at the moment. You could have a look online then pop into your nearest store to try on. Do you like the peplum shape at all? Plenty of this style around at the moment and looks hot on curvy girls!

#9 chickendrumstick

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:33 PM

I've had the same problem and find Target to be pretty good. Beyond that I have given up and found a dress pattern that fits and flatters me and have had my mum sew me 6 new dresses!

#10 paula1

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

I've never tried a peplum stye dress but might have a look when I'm out.

I'll definately give Target a try too.

I'm glad it's not just me that is having this issue.
I've tried the belt to see how it would look but honestly on me if just creates more bulk.

Leona Edmiston has some nice dresses but the only thing I don't like is the fabric that she uses, it's too clingy in all the wrong places.

I'm determined to find find something!

#11 alxase

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:43 PM

For dressy dresses I like Veronika Maine and Cue, for example
http://www.veronikamaine.com.au/Products/V9430_S12
I am a similar shape to what you described OP and find boxy shapeless dresses make me look much bigger than dresses with a defined waist.

#12 Philosophie

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:51 PM

Jacqui-E has some great dresses... http://www.jacquie.com.au/shop/en/jacquie/search/dresses

Love Tara Moss modelling their dresses.

Another fav of mine, but a bit over the budget for me (but I like dreaming about them: is Marcs.

Wish I could buy this one:
http://www.marcs.com.au/product-detail.htm...0928&cat=91

Hope this has helped xxx

#13 cuddlebud

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:43 PM

Second veronika Maine stuff, also review Alannah hill have some lovely feminine dresses...

#14 Schmig

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

I always love Leona edmiston. Loads of stunning styles including plenty for those of us with hips and a bust

#15 Girlo

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:56 PM

Birds Nest have some great 50s style dresses. I've actually never bought from them personally, but I really like the dresses.

http://www.birdsnest.com.au/womens/dresses

#16 tarn

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:45 AM

Not sure what state you are in- but Johnston and Bell in Balmain  have some great shaped dresses. I think they have a web site too.
I agree that although the box shape seems to be everywhere- it doesn't seem to suit most women!!!
Ahh- the perils of fashion.

#17 adl

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:53 AM

I have seen really pretty almost classic flattering shapes in David Lawrence, Ojay, Jigsaw and those are just the ones I walk past at North Sydney so I can only think there are more out there...

and the colours are just fabulous,  greens, rasberry, cobalt blue, coral , yellow really not frumpy at all!!!!  

#18 Studybug

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:03 AM

yeah, a shortish sack style dress worked when I had no curves, was a size 8, was all of 18yrs old and wanted to show my legs off!  Now, I would like something to suit my shape and that is longer than mid -thigh.

I was also going to suggest Alannah Hill.  For similar vein of style but cheaper, grungier(?), younger Dangerfield used to be good, can't quote it now but perhaps have a look - tho their sizing can sometimes be a bit small and I'm unsure about dress length now too.
Also, Maiocchi is all about the waist, knee length and lots of their dresses would accomodate larger busts. ( I think; I don't have one so can't guarantee lol).

http://www.maiocchi.com.au/spring_2012

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread too, for additional suggestions.

Cheers.

#19 Mpjp is feral

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:08 AM

QUOTE (Studybug @ 18/10/2012, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WOW thanks for this link I LOVE their stuff - never heard of them. I have picked uot about $3K worth of stuff i want!! Want, not bought sadly!

Edited by meplainjanebrain, 18 October 2012 - 09:25 AM.

#20 melajoe

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:21 AM

OP, I feel your frustration!  I've been having this same issue as well.  I'm short and shapely and all the boxy dresses and tops make me look like I am wearing a tent!  Even with a belt the excess fabric looks a bit meh.  I've solved the dress problem by making myself a few dresses to suit my shape and I recently bought some casual but nice dresses from Jeanswest of all places (I never shop there but walked past a store the other day and the dresses caught my eye).  Most of them are midi-length so they aren't super short either.

http://www.jeanswest.com.au/womens/dresses-skirts.html

I have also been admiring the dresses on Birdsnest but I still hesitate to buy dresses online as I've been caught out with the wrong fit a few times and although most places have good returns policies now, it's still a pain to have to return stuff.

#21 MeN3Ps!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:31 AM

hey Paula1, I had the same issue.  sad.gif  Gave up shopping for a longtime! There was nothing I could find for almost 2 years that didn't look like a mumu or a tent!. I found a fitted t-shirt with belt could look good when the dresses were unflattering.

Ok, when I WAS pregnant, Mamaway was very stylish.

When not pregnant, I go to Target, Katies or Portmans.  original.gif
(H&M or Topshop are usually good if you are going overseas). I also love Dangerfield!

Cheers.

#22 Studybug

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:35 AM

QUOTE (meplainjanebrain @ 18/10/2012, 08:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WOW thanks for this link I LOVE their stuff - never heard of them. I have picked uot about $3K worth of stuff i want!! Want, not bought sadly!

I know, feminine, lovely but uber cool too, isn't it!!!  They must still be Brisbane only.  They've had a store on Ann st in the Valley for as long as I can remember.  And they're aweome quality too; can last years.  Once I'm done studying, and I get a FT job, I've told DH that I'm going to spend my first paycheque on clothes for me, so you can guess where I'll be heading...

#23 JBH

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

It's pricey, but I love Sacha Drake. Lovely dresses. I tried on the Aimee this morning and I really want it.

#24 Academic

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE (Studybug @ 18/10/2012, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know, feminine, lovely but uber cool too, isn't it!!!  They must still be Brisbane only.  They've had a store on Ann st in the Valley for as long as I can remember.  And they're aweome quality too; can last years.  Once I'm done studying, and I get a FT job, I've told DH that I'm going to spend my first paycheque on clothes for me, so you can guess where I'll be heading...

They used to have the BEST sale store around the corner from their main store, on MacLachlan St. I picked up quite a few dresses for $30-$50 around eight years ago. I still have them, but don't fit into them anymore.

OP, I second the suggestion for Alannah Hill. It's pricey to buy current season but there is TONS of older stuff on eBay - a lot of it never worn, and some ridiculously cheap. I've bought three or four things in the last month alone, and for less than $200 in total.

#25 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:13 PM

I like Leona Edmiston too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recall: Another cot deemed unsafe

Parents are being warned to check their baby's cot is not one of those which have been recalled in recent weeks due to safety concerns.

The truth about breastfeeding and weightloss

Celebrities often state that their post-baby weight loss is down to breastfeeding, and breastfeeding alone. But that's not the reality for all women.

10 weird things little kids do

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. It's usually nothing to worry about, but every now and again you might find yourself scratching your head and asking, ?Really? Is that really a thing??

The app that helps detect signs of autism

Parents can assess their children's progress at critical developmental stages, thanks to this new app.

Long battle to learn the truth about Ariana's birth

Cerise and Tim Lawn spent two years fighting to find out how a healthy pregnancy turned into a nightmare birth, and why their daughter now suffers from disabilities she shouldn't have.

Christina Aguilera announces daughter's name

Christina Aguilera and her fiance, Matt Rutler, have welcomed their daughter into the world.

Couple caught in surrogacy crackdown

An Australian couple caught up in Thailand's surrogacy crackdown have said many parents are distraught and facing dire financial difficulties as are they are unable to bring their surrogate-born babies home.

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

5 co-sleeping myths busted

In case you are co-sleeping with your baby, and all the ?helpful? advice from others is sending you down the slippery slope of self-doubt, let?s bust a few myths on the topic.

When pregnancy takes you down memory lane

One mum-to-be discovers pregnancy hormones can give rise to some surprising emotions.

What?s your love language?

The secret to making your partner feel special is to know which language of love they favour ? and it?s the same for your kids, too.

Returning to exercise after a caesarean

I had my daughter four months ago via caesarean, and I want to get back into exercise. What are some good first steps I can take?

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

Whether they're out of favour traditional names, or the parents were a little creative, here are the least popular names of 2013.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.