TTC or Pregnant Hyperemesis Gravidarum Sufferers and Survivors #31

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
122 replies to this topic

#26 WishyBee

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

I think it's about time i join the HG group. I am 12 weeks on Friday and really hoping for some relief. It's so good to know i'm not the only bedridden pregnant lady. I was wondering if any HG sufferers out there are still able to work? If not, do you feel pressured to work because people think you're being soft?
If one more person tells me to eat dry crackers i'm going to throw up on them. For me eating dry crackers = throwing up dry crackers = a sore scratched throat! sick.gif

#27 purple_daisy

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:38 PM

Hi WishyBee no sadly I'm not able to work when I have HG. Last pregnancy I took a full two months off and when I returned I would still have about one day a week off. Fortunately my boss was extremely supportive once I explained that I had an actual diagnosed medical condition rather than just "being soft" and another one of the ladies in my team had hg years earlier so she was able to talk to my colleagues about how debilitating it is.
This time around I've been off for two weeks and have told my boss that I will be off till at least 12 weeks and will have to reassess at that point. She is great about it.
In my case once I got past the worst of it (it eased off from 16-20 weeks) then work became possible again. Have you given your work a medical certificate stating that you have hyperemesis? That might help a little?
Also ditch the crackers - I recommend toast instead because it is much softer on the way back up so you don't get that scratched throat feeling.

Chedasha lol at the get out of bed or get fat comment! I was in a two month weightloss challenge here on eb just before I got pg and I managed to lose 5kg through a lot of calorie counting and daily exercise. When I told the girls I was pg one very nice (and well meaning!) lady said to make sure I watch what I eat so I don't gain too much pregnancy weight. laughing2.gif I've lost 5kg in the last month from vomitting so I really don't think excessive weight gain is something any of us should worry about!!

#28 NastyMuddyPuddles

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

Oh girls I'm so sorry to hear you've been having a rough time.

Hi wishybee, sorry you are here but it's such a wonderful support! I have found sipping really small amounts of gastrolyte has helped a bit, and when you throw it up some electrolytes stay down! Also the almonds are great, soak them overnight in water first and they become even better.

Purple daisy I am so angry for you!! Some medical professionals are just idiots and make such a horrible situation worse. I was lucky that my OB works at the hospital where I was admitted, so he arranged my bed and refused to let them send me down to ED, I went straight to maternity. If I need to go back in I'll def be calling him first to arrange again. Do you have that option?

Chedasha lol at the fat comment, as if!! 4 kgs down here and more likely to starve than get fat! Even with mum feeding me for a week I only put on 100gms!

I'm off work until further notice, it's been 3 weeks so far. As my OB said when he wrote my certificate, I'm useless to them at the moment anyway! As long as I'm on the couch or bed and not movin then I'm semi ok. Makes it hard to do anything! DS is at Kindy 3 days, grandparents 1 day, and the other 3 well if h isn't home then DS gets To watch a lot of DVDs as not much I can do.

I have a wedding at 12 weeks and I'm praying that I'm well enough to go, I'd be devastated if I missed it. I've already missed a few big birthdays and hens nights sad.gif

I'm finding if I let me meds go for even half an hour over 5 hours, the vomiting and nausea start again in earnest, does anyone else have this? Also if I don't take the doxy at night I get no sleep and the vomiting is worse in the morning. Hoping I can wean myself off that stuff at some point as i know it's not great.

Sending you all big hugs and vomit/nausea free times! Xx

#29 Wyfee

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:47 AM

Hi everyone,

I've just joined this forum and have been reading through your HG posts and I feel your pain! I'm now 29 weeks and still suffering from HG..my doctor got me onto Zofran pretty early so the vomiting didn't last too long but I'm still sick all day every day, can only eat minimal foods, can't drink anything at the moment so just having ice blocks (even the thought of water makes me sick and don't even mention juice or something else uggh). I haven't worked since May and will soon be going on early maternity leave just so I can pay bills!

HG is horrible and I feel so terrible for anyone else suffering through it. I can't believe the way people have been treated by hospitals! I'm lucky my gp has been pretty good, am on zofran and Maxalon daily but they really only stop me vomiting they don't make much impression on the nausea. And the zofran is sending me super broke at $120 per week!

Anyway enough ranting! For those of you right in the early weeks, mine did get more manageable from about 16 weeks..I can generally go out with the hubby for a few hours and not feel too bad.. And agreed if one more person tells me to have ginger and eat dry crackers I'm going to scream! Any ginger or vitamins make me want to puke at the thought, and dry crackers aren't quite going to cut it! Grrrrr!

Anyway sorry this was so long! Really just wanted to say hi! original.gif

#30 purple_daisy

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:25 AM

Wyfee you poor thing! Have you rung around chemists in your area to ask the varying prices of zofran including any generics? I got my mum to ring about 12 chemists back at 6 weeks and we were shocked that the price for GENERIC ondansetron varies from $74 pk/10 to $124 pk/10. Needless to say DH drives to the cheaper one - fortunately it is fairly close to us.
Also, I discussed the price with my GP and she wrote me a script for 30 wafers at a time. The chemist was charging us $74 for a 10 pack but now I get three packs at once and the price went down to $210, so saving 40c per wafer. It all adds up!

Well I am trying not to freak out. Yesterday I had no nausea. Nil. I was able to eat vegimite toast, a salad sandwich, a cheese roll, nuggets and chips, choc chip cookies and drink about a litre of OJ. I had plenty of abdominal discomfort as if really super constipated so I tried an enema (sorry TMI!) but nothing came out. This morning I've woken up again feeling totally nausea free with only that same lower tummy discomfort which I liken to the feeling after you ate something that didn't agree with your gut. I keep reminding myself that this happened to Reality Bites a month ago and didn't mean anything bad..... For now I'm eating and drinking like my life depends on it, and trying to stay positive. After all I would feel stupid going to the GP and saying "I'm here because I feel really good"! We have our next scan in 2.5 weeks.

#31 jekka

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:51 AM

Hi, I'm new to this forum, stumbled across it Googling HG info (sitting at my desk completely unable to do any actual work). I've been reading through the posts and now I'm crying at all your stories, it's just so sad that we have to experience this when we should be feeling happy. HG is like a form of mental and pysical torture, I can't eat, drink, smell, cook, read, watch tv, hold a conversation, basically function. I'm 7 1/2 weeks with pg 2, I also had terrible HG with my DS in 2010 from weeks 6 -14. I am hoping soooo badly it will go away again this time because basically I want to die.

First trip to A/E yesterday for IV fluids, although clearly not a priority as I waited 3 hours (after vomiting blood and bile earlier in the morning). At least last time I just had myself to worry about, my poor DS (2 1/2) doesn't know what's going on and has been so clingy. I just don't know how I'm going to cope. I wish I could fall into a coma for 6 weeks and get fed nutrients through tubes. The worst, my DH woke up this morning with man flu, to hear him dramatically coughing and moaning made me want to throw up on his shoes... I'm taking Maxalon which helps a bit with the vomiting, but does nothing for the nausea. I tried ondansetron last time but 12 hours later got a massive migraine which I'm scared to repeat again.

I really hope you girls feel relief soon. It's so hard to talk about this with anyone who hasn't experienced it before, or worse, just had normal ms and think that you're seeking attention or exaggerating. I am going to flick my stupid useless sea bands in the face of the next person who asks me if I'm over my ms yet, and agreed, being patronisingly told to eat fricken ginger and biscuits is so rude. Sorry for ranting! I wish time machines were invented.

#32 Wyfee

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

Thanks Purple Daisy it's been horrible! I have sound what I'm pretty sure is the cheapest around here..I have my doc write me up scripts for 14 at a time..they offered to do it for more if I wanted but I turned it down thinking I didn't want to buy more than I need in case it got better..I guess it's time to get over that idea and go and get a bigger script! Even doc has told me it wont go away now until I pop the baby out sad.gif

#33 WishyBee

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

jekka,
It gives me hope that your HG had improved by week 14. I am at 12.5 weeks now, so 14 weeks is close for me. I totally agree that non sufferers of HG just don't get it, i wish i had plain old morning sickness!

Does anyone know the offical difference between morning sickness and HG?

#34 Zouzou

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

Hello ladies, I'm back and 19 weeks and 3 days pregnant. Still suffering from HG and am still staying at my mums place. I'm now on 4mg zofran as opposed to 8mg. I feel that HG has robbed me of enjoying this pregnancy, my DH DS And DD. I do feel like its fading away day by day however I'm still incapable of looking after my DD who's at kindergarten. This HG pregnancy was by far the worst not sure if its due to my age or just the fact that HG gets harder every time. In general when did your HG fade completely and you were able to function as a mother and wife? And when could you drive again? I fear driving to be quite honest the nausea affects me 24/7 and I've lost all confidence.

#35 pisceschick

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

Hi all, I am not part of this forum, as I am not suffering HG this time around, but had it with DD. I am still taking Zofran though as my m/s is constant and I can't function particularly well without it. But I did want to share that Ozepharmacy sell the generic brand 4mg ten pack for $47.95. Hope this might help some of you. When I was pg with Dd, I was paying around $83 a week for it, which was a nightmare..Good luck to you all.

#36 RealityBites

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

Hi everyone. Shocking day today.

Purple daisy - try not to worry, just enjoy the good days!

#37 NastyMuddyPuddles

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

Hi girls,

Welcome to the newbies, sorry you are here with us! It's such an awful condition that really robs us of so much.

Well 10 weeks today and still sick, I had a few days where I wasn't too bad, actually left the house and didn't throw up! But today that's all a memory again and even with the zofran am feeling rotten and unable to get off the couch. Managed to drop DS at Kindy and DH will pick him up but that's about it.

Ive found the chemist warehouse does 4mg 10 tablets for $51, the cheapest without going online. That's the wafers but I'm considering asking for a script for the 8mg tablets so I can break them in half as it really reduces the cost. It's sucks there's no PBS for zofran.

Work are accepting I'm off at the moment but don't seem to get what's wrong with me, despite me sending them info and links to read. It's frustrating and makes me not want to go back until I'm well as they seem to think that I can just do my normal job, and there is no way in hell that I can. So I'm just taking it one day at a time at the moment.

My NT scan is in 2 weeks so looking forward to that and hoping I'm well enough to get there! It's about 30 mins away so not sure how I'll go.

I'm sorry to hear so many others aren't well, RealityBites I was just wondering how you and purple daisy were today and hoping it had eased. sad.gif sorry to hear not so much. I remember feeling a marked improvement at 16 weeks with DS and just crossing everything that it goes away before then this time.

Does anyone else find that the hot weather makes you feel worse? For the first time in my life I can't stand being near the sun!

#38 WishyBee

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

Zouzou,
Driving a manual while throwing up is something i just can't do. My car has a flat battery from lack of driving and my Mum has been driving me around (yes i feel like a teenager bumming rides off my Mum).

RealityBites,
I feel your pain!

zaacaa,
I'm waiting for 2 vomit free days in a row before i go back to work. I don't have a vomit friendly workplace, the toilet is far away and i can't leave my desk at a moments notice. Besides, i'm not descreet when throwing up - i'm really loud and i end up a snotty mess.
Yes, hot weather is the worst!

I have lost 6 kilos in the last month, i've had a few shocker days.
Also i have a really high level of HCG, does anyone else?

#39 RealityBites

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:02 AM

Hospitalized yesterday for the first time  sad.gif

#40 NastyMuddyPuddles

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

Oh RealityBites I'm sorry, but at least with Iv meds and fluids you should have a day or so of feeling a bit better. I hope they are being nice I you.

Wishybee I am the same, loud vomiter and I end up with burst blood vessels all over....very I attractive! Last night and today have been good so far, touch wood. Hoping that it continues rather than declines!

Sending everyone nausea free days! Xx

#41 purple_daisy

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

ZouZou my HG was gone completely by about 20 weeks last time - started improving around 15/16 weeks - but I still did throw up maybe once a week or so for the rest of the time - it just wsan't accompanied by this constant nausea and dehydration. I think it is super you are down to 4mg zofran. I'm on 24mg daily AND IV fluids twice a week and am struggling big time.

Reality bites how did you go after the fluids? I find I get about 12-24 hours vomit free so I tend to eat and drink like a crazy person!

I'm another one not driving at the moment. I'm home all day everyday anyway but go out twice a week for the IV fluids and have to get DH or my mum to drive me. I know exactly what you mean WishyBee about feeling like a teenager with mum driving me around!

I can't stand the hot weather either, but mainly I find if I have a bad night's sleep I am soooooo sick the next day.

My Dr was talking to my yesterday about the option of having a canula left in my arm (which would have to be changed every few days) so I can self administer IV drugs at home three times a day. I was so tempted but got too freaked out about what would happen if my DD knocked it or it got infected sad.gif So for now I'll stick with three wafers a day and all these fluids.

Good luck holding some things down today everyone.

#42 RealityBites

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

PurpleDaisy - Oh wow, what a lot you are going through! And here was me feeling sorry for myself having to go to hospital once. Do you go to ED or your doctor? I have read on the HelpHer site that some women have a permanent zofran line (like a bum bag?)
Mine eased up around 16-20 weeks last time too, I wish I could remember exactly. But with my first it lasted until she was born. Or should I say, until the placenta was born, I threw up immediately after having her and remember thinking 'that's not fair!'

Yes, feeling a lot better today. And the hospital staff were nice, although I had to sit in the waiting room with my drip for the last few hours.
Eating for the first time in 3 days! So far I have had crackers with tomato and cheese, naan bread and a nutrigrain bar, as well as flavoured milk and orange juice. Wow, writing it down I am amazed by the lack of nutrients in my new diet  wink.gif
I've even done some work, thank goodness, and got an extension for a week to get my marking in, so feeling a bit relieved about that.
The doc gave me 4 zofran wafers and I have to get a script from the doctor at some point. I'm saving them for when I really need them at this stage!

#43 purple_daisy

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

Reality bites that is so great that you got to eat some things and got an extension for work.

AFM I had my 12 week scan yesterday and everything is looking good much to my relief. I had this irrational fear that something would have happened to the baby because I was so miserable... really relieved that it seems to be doing fine.

#44 NastyMuddyPuddles

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

Oh purple daisy my heart goes out to you! I was just complaining to DH but seeing your post and knowing that I have managed to eat lunch, dinner and some fruit today, I have nothing to complain about.

I am hoping my symptoms have eased somewhat, that or the meds are doing a better job at controlling them. I haven't vomited in days and the nausea is mostly manageable, I've even been back at work this week for 3 days and managed a playdate today. Still don't feel great but muh better than a few weeks ago.

I really hope you guys get some relief soon! Xxx

#45 kate_123

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

Hi ladies,
I haven't posted in this section yet. Don't know if I classify as HG or not but Ive been quite sick and on zofran 2-3times a day. It has started to ease a little the last few days and was starting to feel hopeful but just threw up dinner :-(
At the end I spat up some mucous and it had some blood in it and now I feel like blood is trickling down my throat. It happened a couple of days ago too.
I was just wondering if anyone else has had this and if I should be concerned. Im certain its from the strain of vomiting but I don't know if its a concern or not. Scared of doing real damage. Thanks

#46 NastyMuddyPuddles

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

Hi Kate! We are in The same DIG! Yep sounds like you have HG given you are on meds to control the vomiting, you've lost weight (2kgs?) and still vomiting. The blood is normal from throwing up so much, easy to burst blood vessels. I had it and also burst vessels all over my face, very unattractive. I really hope it eases for you soon. Mine was gone by about 19 weeks last time, and whilst this time has been more severe it's under control a lot earlier which is good finally.

#47 kate_123

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:56 PM

hey zaacaa! thanks for replying. yeh lost about 2kg in the last week or so. Thought i'd got it under control but its hit back this arvo. Glad to hear the blood isnt too serious. Hoping u get relief soon too xxx

#48 RealityBites

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

I have just had enough. I don't want to do this anymore.

My house is a pigsty. My hands and shoes smell like vomit. I only have one Zofran left and don't want to 'waste' it.

cry1.gif

#49 purple_daisy

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

Reality bites can't you get a prescription from your GP for zofran?

I know they are expensive but chances are your HG will ease up at some point - you just really need the medication NOW, so don't feel bad about taking it.

Not sure why the shoes smell like vomit (afraid to ask heheh) but I suggest chucking them out and just wearing flip flops as you can easily rinse them in the laundry tub if they get vomitted on.

bbighug.gif

#50 RealityBites

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

Thanks, sorry for being a sook but I know you guys understand.

Going to the doctor tomorrow for script. Threw up on my shoes, pants and the gutter after a play date today. Sigh.

Dh ordered an emergency cleaner for tomorrow morning thank god.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.