TTC or Pregnant Hyperemesis Gravidarum Sufferers and Survivors #31

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
122 replies to this topic

#101 melmeln

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

Hey girls, I visited this thread before when I was pregnant, it has helped me so much to get through the pregnancy , and after the baby I got so busy and did not come very often.

firstly, I wish to tell the girls who are still struggling, the moment you hold your bundle of joy in your hands, you will realise all these suffers are nothing and worth every single moment of the nausea, every bit of the throwing up and just hang in there, its all worth it after all.

second thing, I wish to ask mums who has more than one kids, how do you manage a HG pregnancy with another toddler  at home.  It is hard enough for me to get through with my mum caring for me  , now I am thinking about baby number 2( I really thought NO MORE at the time, but then , the bright smile at bub's face erased all the suffering , and yeah, I want another one despite the horrible nausea and throwing up)  just not sure how am I going to cope this time around if I get pregnant again. My ob said that every pregnancy is different and I might not end up with HG again, however, my mum had HG when pregnant with me, so the chances are still pretty high I guess.

will really appreciate  any of you sharing your own experience.

#102 RealityBites

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:08 AM

Melmeln - the chances are you will have HG again, and need to plan contingencies to work around it with a toddler.

30 weeks and had an awful day yesterday, v depressing  sad.gif

#103 zimmie

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:41 PM

Hi All Tiff here...

WOW!  I can't believe this group is still going!

I haven't been on EB for a few years, in fact, my login no longer worked because I don't have the same email!  And I don't know if any original members are still here, but I started this group in 2007 (8 time survivor of HG).

I am so pleased to see that it continues to be a support to women suffering from this dreadful disorder.

For those who may still remember me... my children have almost grown.  DD is 20 this year, and DS is 15 this year.  After our awful HG journey, we gave up on having another baby (after 3 TOPs and 3 MC due to HG).

We left Queensland at the end of 2010 and moved to South Australia, and I am currently working as a midwife in Adelaide.  If anything our experiences with HG enables us to empathise and help other women who endure it.

Thanks so much for keeping this thread alive for all these years!  I am so proud of the group for continuing to be a support for HG mums; and the women who perserve through this desperate and severe illness.

Sending well wishes to those currently unwell.  And hugs to all.

Zimmie (Tiff) original.gif

#104 kkbelle

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

Checking in, ladies! I had hyperemesis with my first, normal morning sickness with my second and am now 5w0d with my third, and scared as all hell that I'm going to relive hg this time around. I haven't been feeling too bad but the anxiety around it is a little intense.

Reading back now.

#105 RealityBites

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:15 PM

Hope it all goes well, kkbelle!

I'm now 35 weeks. I had a bad couple of days about three weeks ago when zofran wasn't even touching the vomiting/nausea, but back to normal again now. Normal being on daily zofran and still fairly picky about eating. Much better than the first 20 or so weeks, though.

#106 3'sACharm

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:29 AM

Just reposting here from my thread. Someone refereed me here..I didn't even know this group existed..so i'm very grateful to have found it.

It's been like this for a little over 3 weeks and i've had enough. I can't keep anything down..not even my own saliva. The last two days have been the worst...can't eat and can only drink water at night...everything stinks and sets off my vomiting, i'm weak and sick of getting up to run to the toilet. The only relief I get is at night and that flies by. I've tried everything!! Maxalon...morning sickness tablets...eating small meals...ginger...dry crackers...there is only so much I can take!!

I keep telling myself...it's worth it in the end!

Thanks for listening!

#107 Starrydawn

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

3sACharm my sister had the salivia thing as well. I think it is called pylatism. She had to spit in a bucket. She sipped on soda water for that. Hang in there I know it is terrible.

I luckily I guess didn't have that aspect of HG.

RealityBites glad you are getting to the business end if things.

Tiff glad you called in this is a revolving door thread sometimes quiet for ages as most are too sick to post or have baby and never want to think bout HG lol.

Melmein they always try that every pregnancy is different but as most find out with HG it means worse. I don't know how people with toddlers do it again. It would not be possible for me. You would need a lot of help.

#108 FeralMuddyPuddles

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

Hi girls, just checking in! 32 weeks here and finally no more meds!!! Now it's just the reflux that is making me
Vomit and that's awful as it burns so much, but not being nauseas all the time is a nice change. It will get better girls, just hang in there!

Having HG with a toddler has been really hard though, to the PP that was asking. It meant lots of time off work for my DH also, my mum flying interstate to stay with us for a while to help out, booking extra days of Childcare where possible, and just trying not to let the guilt overwhelm me when DS was left to his own devices and I threw food to him from the couch! He has survived and is doing well, is really excited about the baby coming and doesn't seem to remember those really dark months when things were at their worst. But there is no way I could ever go through this again. Friends laugh as I said this after the first HG pregnancy, but we'd always wanted 2 children and I had an overwhelming desired or another when DS turned 2, but I definitely know my limits and I can't do another HG pregnancy.

This thread really helped me through the dark times and it was such a relief to know that I wasn't alone and that the thoughts I had we're all normal and part of HG. I can now happily say that I am looking forward to this baby arriving and all the dark thoughts are behind me.

Reality I hope you are doing ok! Just think, not long to go now, hang in there!!! Xx

#109 3'sACharm

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

Today is another bad day...so tired with no energy, I've had to resort to a bucket next to the bed to vomit in. Maxalon is hardly working and my body is craving everything but my stomach says no. I just want this to end! I took metamucil yesterday because I haven't had a bowel movement in a week and a bit..and the only wee's I do are in the morning after i've had a night drinking water.

I don't know what to do...i'm so tired of fighting..I can't stop crying  cry1.gif

#110 FeralMuddyPuddles

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

Oh love it sounds like you need to get to the hospital for some IV  rehydration and Zofran. The zofran will stop the vomiting and you really need fluids. My OB out me straight in as soon as my urine output was like you describe. You start to run the risk of organ problems if you're not getting enough water, and when you're vomiting all the time an IV is the only way to get it in and keep it in. Can you call your dr to arrange an admission? Otherwise they tend you make you wait in the ED and send you home before you've had enough fluids, but if you can get your dr to arrange a bed in maternity for you it makes all the difference.

I know how hard it is, hang in there, and the zofran and fluids really do make a difference! Xxxx

#111 Starrydawn

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

Yes 3sacharm you need the zofran and probably a hospital rehydration. Then you may feel a little better.

#112 Expedit99

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:53 PM

3sacharm i really hope you got yourself to hospital hun, dehydration is terrible once is sets in.

I thought it time i home myself in here, im 9 weeks preg with #3 and battling the dreaded HG.
Ive lost 10kgs and been in hospital three times (weeks 6,7 & 8) for dehydration.
Im now on a combo of restavit, b6, maxalon, zofran and a stemetil suppository. Still sick 2-10 times a day. Im really hanging on trying to avoid hospital until next week, the meds are helping but im definitely not taking in enough water. I just sent DH out for watermelon, if i cant drink water i may as well try and eat it.

I had HG with my daughter (whole way thru) but not with my son.
Its kind of a backhanded milestone to have experienced one amazing vomit free pregnancy, only to be thrown into the oncoming traffic twice as hard the next time around.

I am getting my tubes tied after this baby, i never want to go through this ever again. It is scary to think that if it was as bad as this the first time i definitely wouldnt have had my son or be pregnant now.

I am clinging on to this pregnancy for my DH, this is his first baby and he is moving the earth to try and support me as best he can.
I know at 9 weeks im in the worst of it, im praying for 20 weeks to come around so that this miserable experience will hopefully be over.

Would love to hear how you ladies managed to gain weight back after a heavy first tri loss? Ive lost 1/6 of my body weight and am eating like a sparrow.. I cant see it happening?!

#113 3'sACharm

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

Well I was admitted to hospital on the 15th for rehydration. They gave me two bags of fluid and 1 zofran which brought me back to normal....until yesterday sad.gif Threw up three times yesterday and only once so far today...maxalon seems to be holding but i'm scared of drinking & eating in high chance i'll throw it back up again. I really didn't want to go backwards..and having a scan last week shows that i'm actually ahead in my dates making me 10+5 today so i'm hoping relief is coming soon! I'm going to send DH out for some poweraid soon and i'll be sipping on that to see if that helps. DH is back to work tonight and I don't know how i'm gonna cope...fingers crossed it will be easy.

Expedit99 I'm really feeling for you darl! I feel bad complaining about my symptoms when you are in your darkest days. My prayers go out to you my dear that relief is just around the corner and I send you strength, I honestly couldn't go thru it that bad and you must be so exhausted!  hhugs.gif

#114 Starrydawn

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

3'sAcharm make sure you get a prescription for Zofran as well. You may need to take it ongoing. I use to have two 4mgs  tabs a day sometimes three on a bad day.

Expedit it really is a  tough road. I hope it is short-lived for you.

Edited by Chedasha, 22 April 2013 - 11:29 AM.

#115 RealityBites

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

3saCharm - Yes, ditch the maxolon and get zofran wafers, also try restavit etc.

Expedit - I still eat like I have bad HG, that is, whatever I feel like. It's hard to explain to someone who hasn't had HG, the psychological state lingers for a long time. I don't do healthy pregnancy eating, and not really three meals a day, or vegetables, mostly easy carbs. So the weight has crept back on again. I only lost 5kg but am now about 3kg above pre-pregnancy weight, so have put on 8kg somehow. Last pregnancy after the birth I was 13kg under pre-pregnancy weight but I was overweight to begin with, so all was good.
I really feel for you at 9 weeks, right in the hell hole  hhugs.gif

I am okay, still on zofran daily and haven't had a really bad time for a while now. I have been worried about my eating habits but I guess with three weeks to go it doesn't really matter. The baby is a good size and apparently healthy.

#116 3'sACharm

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:33 AM

cry1.gif enough is enough already...I can't do this anymore!

#117 Expedit99

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE (3'sACharm @ 29/04/2013, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cry1.gif enough is enough already...I can't do this anymore!

Ive had a tough week too sad.gif I guess its better been than my past two because im not in hospital but jeez, when does it end!! Im really trying to focus on the positives; My vitamin b6/restavit combo allows me to sleep nausea-free at night, its been a welcome reprieve from being ill all day long. 11 weeks tomorow and Ive been travelling steady enough to ditch the maxalon and stemetil and get by with an 8mg zofran in the morning.. Suffer between 3-8pm when it starts to wear off until the restavit/b6 at bedtime.

Yesterday was a write-off, not enough fluids and in bed all day long.
I went through three ziplock bags on the school run this morning, was too ill to drive safely, lucky DH was home. Im going to try some Ensure Plus smoothies to try and keep some calories in, food is such a battle ATM.. getting it in is almost as tough as trying not chucking it up at the moment sad.gif

3sacharm we are very close in dates, fingers crossed the next trimester beings us some much needed relief!!

#118 kate_123

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:46 AM

Hi Ladies, I havent been in here for a long time and I seen (unfortunately) there are quite a few newbies bbighug.gif
I have been going quite well, it settled around 16wks for me and 1 zofran a day kept it under wraps and I could eat normally again. I'm now 32wks and things have started to turn sour again. I was wondering if any past sufferers experienced this, a worsening in the 3rd trimester? Scared I'm going to bring on preterm labour amongst the unpleasantness of HG.

Hope everyone is surviving the day the best they can. xxx

#119 SemiRuralGirl

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

Hi there,

Well, I have followed this thread since before my pregnancy as I had HG with my DS 4 yrs ago.

Unfortunately I am now really needing to post. sad.gif I am 11 wks pg and having a shocking time. I have followed Expedit and 3's through some of this pregnancy, sympathising with their journeys.

I am just SO sick ATM and can't get any relief. I am taking 2 x 8 mg Zofran a day (max dose) and can't take much else due to allergies. It has barely contained the vomiting to 5-10 vomits a day and the nausea is still horrific.

To add insult to injury I now have a rotten sinus head cold to add to it and that is making me even more dizzy and vomit more. Writing this post is a nightmare and has had many pauses.

I have awful stomach cramps and just so miserable. I feel like I'm totally neglecting my two other kids and poor DH is desperately trying to keep things afloat.

I just feel like I can't cope. As much as I would never do it, I have even found myself considering terminating the pregnancy. If you knew me you would understand how "not me" that is. Then I am overwhelmed with more guilt.

How on earth do you survive this?! I just want it all to end. cry1.gif

I have an appt with my OB today, but I don't know what good it's going to do. What more can be done?

Sorry for not addressing other posters. I'm sorry your journeys are tough. I'm just having a selfish pity party right now. wink.gif

Edited by SemiRuralGirl, 08 May 2013 - 11:16 AM.

#120 Expedit99

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

Literally taking a break in between chucks to write back here. Literally. Ugh night times are my worst!!!

SemiRuralGirl I've been following your posts too hun. There is nothing I can say.. except that I probably could have written your entire post myself sad.gif

I dont think any woman has actually hit the pit of serious HG if the thought of termination hasn't ever crossed her mind. Especially in the first trimester when the meds barely touch the sides and there is no other way out. We TTC for 6 months to get this baby, it was very much loved and wanted, and I was still lying in a crumpled heap on my toilet floor from weeks 5-8 after 30 vomits a day BEGGING my other half not to judge me for wanting to end it. I even booked an appointment with the family planning centre without telling him but in the end the guilt got the better of me. That and I couldn't bear the thought of wasting the 8 weeks I'd already somehow manage to survive (three of them in hospital hooked up to IV).

I've just spent the afternoon curled in bed crying my hormonal eyes out because im too sick to cook my kids anything nice for dinner (or anything at all for that matter). I am 12 weeks and have now lost 13kg. My hair is falling out from malnutrition, my pharmacy bill in $300+ a month. Vomiting 3 times a day is a massive win because it isn't 30, but the nausea has knocked me for six. The constipation makes Zofran an uphill battle, lets see do I want to be endlessly sick or die from unbearable wind cramping today??? Strained chest muscles or burst blood vessels in your eyes from excess vomiting anyone??  I still have no connection with this pregnancy, and probably won't until it moves or something. I guess Im kind of excited since my kids are, but how the hell do you stay connected to it when the thought of being sick blinds you 24/7??

The only thing that keeps me going is knowing that my feelings towards pregnancy reflect in no way my feelings of being a mama. Raising babies is a piece of cake compared to this hell, God could throw down the most unsettled newborn in history and I will survive it with a smile on my face because NOTHING compares to this. This compares to nothing, probably cancer if I was ever unfortunate enough to experience it, but for me this is the absolute worst.

Please don't apologise for feeling selfish. Ever! If your anything like me this is the only place you can be honest about how truly hard it is. My family doesn't understand at all. Hubby tries but it gets a bit much for him sometimes. My well meaning MiL keeps telling me to drink stout. I dont think she understands that water thru a straw is enough of a battle at the best of times. They mean well, but they don't understand!!

Kate-123 sorry to see you needing to pop back in! I had HG with my daughter (which i now know was mild compared to this) which went away at 20 weeks. Unfortunately it came back at 36 weeks for me and the nausea stuck until she was born at 40+3. Are you having heartburn problems at all? I used to find that it would agitate my HG enough to make me chuck, I went through A LOT of Mylanta and Gaviscon in that last month!! Good luck and I hope it settles for you soon original.gif

Sorry to anyone I missed, I'm on borrowed time between here and the bathroom!!

#121 SemiRuralGirl

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

Thanks Expedit.

I am in slightly a better way today. OB took one look at me and sent me over to the hospital. 3 bags of fluid, IV Zofran and 2 stemetil injections later I am home (and not vomiting for the time being).

I think I missed the dehydration window - didn't realise how bad it was and then ended up unknowingly in the dehydration cycle.

I too could have written your above post Expedit. Everything.

Thanks for the support. I hope everyone is feeling better (well, you know - at least a bit!) soon.

Kate - I have heard lots of stories about HG coming back in the last few weeks. I also heard indigestion can exacerbate it, so maybe some antacids would help? Hope you feel better soon.

#122 FeralMuddyPuddles

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:27 AM

Oh girls, I am so sorry to hear that you are having such a rough time. I can still clearly remember the depths of despair at the worst times, and just wanting to die or have it end whatever it took. I was sobbing to a midwife when I was last hospitalised to make it end and I was so lucky, she and another 2 of them had all had HG and got where I was coming from. But it does get better, just hang in there. I know seeing the light at the end is near impossible when you're this sick, but I used to repeat to myself "one more day down, one more day I never have to go through this again" and it was a good mantra! Needless to say we will NOT be having another baby unless they make surrogacy legal here! I can never do it again.

I had a break from I think 27-28 weeks this time, and since 34 weeks its been occasional days when needing meds, but they haven't worked fantastically.  The heartburn definitely makes it worse and the last 2 days the acid burps have started the vomiting again. But I  am booked for my csection on the 28th so I know I am finally on the countdown to feeling better!

Hang in there, I know it's horrible and I am sending you all huge hugs and feeling better vibes xxxxx

#123 ~A2~

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

Thread closed

New thread here

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.