Giving birth on your own?
Has anyone been through this?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 chloe69

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:48 PM

Hi AllWondering if there are any ladies who have given birth without a support person.....and what was your experience?
DP is going away the week before my due date and I'm wondering whether I would be strong enough to do this on my own if he doesn't make it back in time......

Chloe

#2 Cranky Old Woman

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:54 PM

My husband was present at only one of our children's births.  Luckily, he was there for the first one and I was perfectly fine for the other two without him.  The midwives were great.

Don't stress - you will be strong enough - good luck.

#3 R2B2

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:04 PM

I havent done it yet, but will be in about 5 weeks time.

ETA: I guess the thing to remember is that you need to focus on yourself and the baby. the way i'm seeing it is, ill be too busy focusing on getting the little one out, that hopefully my husbands lack of presence will not be too greatly missed.

Edited by R2B2, 04 October 2012 - 06:06 PM.

#4 Bathsheba52

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:14 PM

The worst part of my first labour was the look on my husband's face. It would have been better if he either wasn't there, or stayed out of view. I did not make eye contact with him throughout the second birth, as I didn't need his problems on top of mine.

You can do it!

#5 Feral Snow

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:16 PM

Not on my own.  I employed a private midwife for my last birth and so she was my support person.  DH did manage to get there before baby popped out, but I was very focussed and didn't speak to him or look at him at all, though I know he was in the room somewhere.  This time I'm having a private midwife again and DH won't be there.

I actually would feel okay about doing it without a support person this time because I'm expecting everything to go fine, but getting to the hospital would be a bit of a problem on my own.  Also, if things do go wrong, it gives me great confidence to know I have someone there who is more focussed on me than on panicking and following hospital policies and procedures.  Also I wouldn't like to be left by myself at any stage, and the reality at a lot of hospitals is that the midwives are going to have to attend to other mums too.

Do you have a friend or a relative who can be your back up support person?

#6 José

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:36 PM

my obs said to me that on averAge first time mums go four days beyond due date. so maybe Dh will be back in time. hopefully you will  have fabulous midwives to help you through, whether dh is there or not.

#7 Soontobegran

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

You will never be alone. If there is an unaccompanied mum they are always assigned a midwife to be the support person.  I've often stayed back after my shifts have supposed to have finished because I've been wanting to see the delivery through....nothing worse than leaving before the finale. original.gif
It is great having your partner or a close family member with you but you can still have a very positive birth experience without them.
Lots of luck.

#8 PurpleNess

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

Hi OP,
I don't belong here but wanted to suggest perhaps you could engage a Doula to be your birthing support person if DH isn't around. We had one & she was very helpful with calling the birth centre, getting me drinks, holding my hand , keeping me calm & focused etc.

All the best & I'm sure you'll have a wonderful birth. I hope DH is there for it :-)

#9 Suz01

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:37 PM

Hi Chloe. My husband is getting back from a trip 2 weeks before my due date with baby #2. I went over with bub #1 so going to try and worry about if it happens that I'm on my own.  Understand your anxiety though.

#10 mm1981

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:42 PM

My first I did on my own. It was fine, the midwives were there and by the end I was so focussed on giving birth, it wouldn't have mattered who was there.
My second, my husband attended. It made no difference, I hardly noticed him there.

#11 Neph

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

you don't need anyone but the baby catcher original.gif

during the most intense part of my labour (about 12 hours), then 2 hours pushing .. i didn't even notice/see anyone in the room ... not even DP who was right next to me holding my hand/massaging my back.

my body just kinda went into itself and did everything on its own ... my psyche was just there for the ride.

don't worry you'll be fantastic i'm sure .. good luck!

#12 ubermum

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:10 PM

50 years ago, men didn't enter delivery rooms so many women have done it.

You'll be fine if your dh isn't back. You will have a midwife, that's really all you need.

#13 HurryUpAlready

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

My DH was at the birth of our DD but he might as well not have been. He offered no support during the labour, he slept on the couch when he was tired, he read the newspaper, he went out for snacks... he didn't use the pain relief pressure points I had taught him, he didn't hold my hand or rub my back of offer soothing words of encouragement. Nothing. He did get the video camera out as the head appeared, which I am grateful for, but other than that he was useless.
My point is, don't worry about it too much. The midwives are awesome and you'll he concentrating on what your body is telling you.
If you really want someone familiar there, do you have a girlfriend / sister / mum / close cousin etc who will hold your hand?
If not, you'll be totally fine. xx

#14 chloe69

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:13 AM

Thanks for the replies....very helpful.I hadn't thought about how I would get to hospital on my own....that is going to be a bit tricky. A doula is a good idea....I'll see if I can engage one locally at such short notice.I have no family or close friends where we are.....my mum is coming up to look after our 2  year old whilst I'm in hospital which is great...but she lives 6+ hours away. I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better giving birth where my family is so I'll have the support.....but arranging the hospital and packing everything I'll need for the newborn, myself and my toddler seems a large task! I guess if I can work out the getting to the hospital bit I should be okay with the support of the midwives for the rest.Chloe

#15 edgeofreality

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:53 AM

I had a midwife and a private obs (for the last couple of minutes, lol) but no support person.  My husband didn't particularly want to attend, and then couldn't anyway.  Despite 40 hours of labour and all the intervention possible, it was no problem.  I got great attention from the medical team (who seemed to feel sorry for me), and was rather relieved to not have any witnesses to what was a fairly undignified (but pretty awesome) experience.  I wouldn't worry - you'll be fine!

#16 Guest_holy_j_*

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:11 AM

Yes I have laboured and given birth to my DD (LO2) without anyone, not by choice though. I don't think you can call the 2 stupid midwives who conceded i was in labour about 2 minutes before she was born, "support". Absolutely nothing like labouring for hours in a ward room by yourself, no one there, no one to speak up for you, not knowing what is happening. Having midwifes tell you 3 hours before your child is born, that you aren't even labour, you might as well go home. So don't be relying on a midwife as support, you may get a good one, you may not better to have your partner, your mother or a friend with you who knows you and what you are like.

Edited by holy_j, 31 October 2012 - 07:15 AM.

#17 Mumsyto2

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE (chloe69 @ 07/10/2012, 12:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the replies....very helpful.I hadn't thought about how I would get to hospital on my own....that is going to be a bit tricky. A doula is a good idea....I'll see if I can engage one locally at such short notice.I have no family or close friends where we are.....my mum is coming up to look after our 2  year old whilst I'm in hospital which is great...but she lives 6+ hours away. I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better giving birth where my family is so I'll have the support.....but arranging the hospital and packing everything I'll need for the newborn, myself and my toddler seems a large task! I guess if I can work out the getting to the hospital bit I should be okay with the support of the midwives for the rest.Chloe

Could your mum take you to the hospital if need be? I realise there will be a 2yo as well but maybe she could drive your car or accompany you in a taxi and then go home with your 2yo when you are settled in? Even if it's the middle of the night it would not matter, a 2yo gets one night of interrupted sleep, not a big deal.

#18 casime

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

I gave birth to DS on my own.   A STBG said, they assign a midwife so you aren't left alone.  I had one lovely midwife all morning, then at shift change I got another midwife and a student midwife, who were both great.   If anything, I'd have like a bit of peace and quiet on my own really!  But I can't fault them at all.   By the time I was 16 hours in to it I wouldn't have cared who was in the room tbh.   I also drove myself to the hospital.  I live rurally and it's an $80 cab ride to the hospital, and didn't have anyone who could pick me up with a carseat, so I wanted the car in the carpark for when I came home.  

Good luck.

#19 SDEE

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:30 PM

My DP was away for the night DD2 arrived (and I was unable to reach him by phone at the time), I drove myself and my 2 yr old to the hospital and had a friend meet me at the door to take my DD2 to her house. I already had all the bags in the car ready, just in case.
They allocated me a midwife, who was there pretty much the whole time and I had a couple of others who would pop in to check how I was doing throughout the labour. they were all incredibly supportive and understanding. My OB showed up about 1/2hr before DD2 arrived and he was great.
the midwives took some photos for me and were really helpful. All I can say is you will be fine, they will look after you really well.
the only thing I would have done differently (had i known in advance that i would do it alone) I would have had a note or run through with the midwife when I got there, what i wanted done in certain circumstances (just in case I had passed out or an emergency had arisen) My OB knew my wishes, but if its just you and decisions need to be made you may want to have it outlined for them, in case you are not capable at the time.

Goodluck and hope it all goes well for you

#20 mysonsmum

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:38 PM

U can do it! As much as my DP did everything right I wouldn't have known if he left the room (in fact he did for abit because our car nearly got towed lol) another midwife just stepped in & held my hand & I didn't know any different. I also got told I wasn't in labour about 10mins before I was examined & found to be 10cms & my partner didn't know any better as it was our first baby & the first birth he had ever seen so having him there didn't change the way the midwives did there job. As much as it's better to have them there ur the one doing all the work, I'm sure u'll be fine. Just try make him feel abit stink so he grovels & buys u presents biggrin.gif

#21 B.feral3

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:10 PM

I was sent to Brisbane to have my DS3 at 29 weeks (700km's away) as it looked like I would need to deliver early and would save us the stress and mother/baby separation of a Royal Flying Doctor transfer (which happened with our second). I went to Brisbane alone so knew that unless we had at least 12 hours notice of a C/S, DH wouldn't be there. My family live in Brissy though.

On the day I had no idea I was going to have a baby until about 5pm when some bloods tests came back poorly. (I was already in hospital at the time.) Of course my husband couldn't be there as he was back home. I asked if we could wait for my sister to arrive before doing the emergency C/S as she could be at the hospital in 25 minutes or less. They said no, that I was too sick and did not have time.

It was fast, bub was born about 25 minutes after the doctor told me about my poor liver function. In theater, the midwife was at one side of my head and the anesthetist at the other. They were nice enough to talk to and did their best to make me feel at ease. By baby number 3 I was use to things going extremely pear shaped in all things pregnancy, birth and baby health related. At the end of the day, bub was alive and well so all's well that ends well and I'm completely at peace.

Good luck OP. It's not ideal in the perfect world but worse things could happen. If you find yourself in this situation, hopefully you will have good support as I did. xx

Edited by Bek+3, 08 November 2012 - 11:15 PM.

#22 Chaos in stereo

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:11 PM

Edited by Chaos in stereo, 26 August 2013 - 05:35 PM.

#23 VJs Mummy

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

I did with my 2nd as my partner at the time was still at work, he didnt make it due to no 2 being 10 mins, my midwifes were fantastic as long as you have midwifes that are a god send you will be fine we are stronger then what we think

#24 Caramel Latte

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

For DD#4, DH walked out for 15 mins (exact time he was gone) for a smoke (was just told I was 5cm dilated)…in that 15 mins, BP went thru roof, lost bubs HB (found when realised she was actually coming out) and she was born. I wasn't alone, they had 3 midwives in there (due to issues) and one became my support. It would've been nice to have DH there but was never alone. Good luck.

#25 epl0822

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

Hi Chloe, I really hope your DP is able to be with you for the birth. However, just to share my friend's experience: my friend had her second baby shortly after she moved into a new area. She had a toddler at the time who was extremely clingy. For various reasons it wasn't possible to arrange somebody else to care for the toddler when her second one was due. Her and her DH decided that the DH would stay home with the older child and she took a taxi to the hospital when she went into labour. And she gave birth on her own. I don't think it was even a big deal for her. She just took it in as very matter of fact. You are going to have midwives and possibly obstetricians all looking after you brilliantly. Having a husband is more for emotional support but it's not the end of the world if they can't make it.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

Baby for Asher Keddie and Vincent Fantauzzo

Fans followed every step of her on-screen pregnancy in Offspring, now Asher Keddie is going to be a mum in real life too.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong': the fight for Kaden's diagnosis

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reaction to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Empowering bikini photo of 46-year-old mum goes viral

When a group of teenagers made rude remarks about her body as she walked past them in a bikini at the local beach, Julie Cross refused to cover up.

Devastated widow discovers she's pregnant the day before husband's funeral

They had been trying to conceive a baby for seven years. Tragically Kristy Kirchner found out she was pregnant the day before her husband Royce's funeral.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Gabriella Goat sues Peppa Pig

Every toddler's favourite television pig is being sued by an Italian woman who shares a name with a Peppa Pig character.

Meet the Mpregs, the male pregnancy enthusiasts

"Men can't have babies - that's something only women can do! But our community is full of like-minded people who wish otherwise."

Your new motherhood survival kit

Forget about the bright, pretty baby things - while you're in survival mode, all you'll need are the essentials.

More than 100,000 cars recalled globally after death of pregnant woman

The announcement of a mass recall comes as Malaysian police investigate the death of pregnant woman in July.

I had a 'good baby' but still suffered from postnatal depression

I had a much wanted precious baby girl, a 'good baby' who slept well, self settled and was mostly content. It just seemed implausible to think I could succumb to depression.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

'It's not you, it's me': Boston bombing survivor mum to have leg amputated

Rebekah DiMartino is going through a break-up. She even wrote a farewell love letter. But it's not to her husband.

What it's like to go through early menopause

In a cruel twist, Carla had been breastfeeding and perimenopausal at the same time. But she's far from the only one to go through menopause early.

Restaurant served alcohol to two-year-old

Busy restaurants can be forgiven for getting food and drink orders mixed up from time to time, but not when the confusion leads to a two-year-old being served an alcoholic cocktail instead of the child-friendly beverage they ordered.

Julia Morris tells of miscarriage on a flight

Julia Morris has spoken about the devastation of suffering a miscarriage while on an international flight.

Woman's survival after birth 'a story of two miracles'

A US mother is home and tending to her new baby less than a month after surviving without a pulse for 45 minutes.

Eating ice may give mental boost to the iron deficient: study

A new study proposes that, like a strong cup of coffee, ice may give those with insufficient iron a much-needed mental boost.

Tiny lives in caring hands: Thank U NICU Day

Each year in Australia, over 40,000 newborns need the help of a special care nursery or neonatal intensive care unit. One day a year, the staff are honoured by the parents they help through those dark days.

I paid $50,000 to have a girl

This time my husband and I hadn't taken any chances. We had paid $50,000 and travelled 13,000 kilometres to make sure the baby growing inside me was female.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Dear firstborn, I'm sorry

Being a first-time mum is tough for so many reasons – particularly because you really have no idea what you're doing.

A trace of sesame could kill my son

Helen Richardson son's had two anaphylactic reactions in a month. It's traumatic for everyone.

When you know before the test says yes

It wasn't a pregnancy test or missed period that told me I was pregnant with my second baby; it was too early for those things. A doner kebab told me I was going to be a mum again.

What not to do when your partner is in labour

Robbie Williams stole the show during his wife Ayda's labour, pretty much demonstrating everything on the "what not to do when your partner is in labour" list.

Best maternity swimwear and beach cover-ups

Thinking about a tropical babymoon but have nothing to wear? Here are some great swimwear and beach cover-up options for mums-to-be.

Dad breastfeeds his babies

Trevor Macdonald has now been pregnant twice, and is successfully breastfeeding his newest family member.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.