Let's talk prams

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 BBV

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:03 PM

Hi girls,

I thought we should have a post about prams. Can be tricky to sift through our DIG thread as it tends to move quickly.

Would love to hear what prams people are looking at and reasons why...

Being a first time mum I'm clueless but hoping to narrow it down soon. I'm looking for something I can do a lot of walking with...maybe even light jogging. Also something lightweight that will fit in our car.

#2 Ice Queen

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:09 PM

One of my most useful baby products is my McLaren stroller.  I do have another pram for rougher walking (which is a piece of rubbish and I will push it off a cliff once my DS is beyond it) but the McLaren is used and used and used.  It lives in the boot of my car and it is the pram I use at the shops, playground and when we go travelling.

No good for jogging but I recommend owning a lightweight stroller AS WELL as your pram.  They are fantastic.  Bubs needs to be 3or 4 mo before you can use the Quest I have.  I would never pack up my heavy stupid pram and put it in the car to go out.  It lives in my shed for walks from the house.

So big vote here for owning a McLaren stroller as well as a pram.

#3 MrsBobby

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:19 PM

Good thinking BBV!

After looking on the internet we will probably get a Baby Jogger City Elite. I want to do a lot of walking and this pram should be ok for light jogging if you are sticking to pavement I think but obviously don't know from experience. The reviews have been really good. What I like about it (apart from the obvious, that you can do a lot of walking with it...):

Weighs 10.8kg (not too bad I think for a bigger pram)
Tyres: Forever-air tyres (hard foam, no flat tyres!!)
Durability: apparently these prams last a long time and bubs should fit in it for quite a few years

We will also get a Per Peregro baby capsule to suit the baby jogger (and obviously as car seat) so i can see bubs for the first few months.

Will order from Winkalotts in NZ due to price.

#4 premmie_29weeks

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

I vote the second pram  the pp if you can afford it. I love my mountain buggy swift, I found it fantastic with both my nb's because it had the pram basket and I walked a lot. As ds1 got older and I got pregnant again I wanted around stroller that I could move in and out of the car easily. I bought a macclaren vogue. I love this one because it folds easily, it lightweight and now my younger one is 7 months he can comfortably sit upright in it.

#5 Alxeen

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:58 PM

For DD (nearly 10 years ago!) I had a Mountain Buggy Urban and loved it. It was lightweight, folded up in one click and accommodated her from a few months to 4 years old! I walked A LOT and apart from a flat tyre once, it was completely reliable.
Had I been having a singleton again I would have got one again in a heartbeat, but probably would have got the swift (just a little more compact) with a compatible capsule.
However have decided on a Babyjogger City Select with the additional seat for twins, as I didn't want to get a side by side pram and this one seems to me to be the most elegant solution (and you can see both babies). We will get compatible capsules as well, as they are so, so convenient! (How many times did bub falls asleep in the car only to want to get them out for a walkabout?) The BJSC is also lightweight and folds in one click which makes me happy.
I would consider the Mountain Buggy Duet, as this is the same width as a single Urban, so still a pretty good option.

#6 JamieLee85

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

I love prams i could collect them if i was allowed...
currently i have a Strider.. but as most people will say its heavy its bulky. but i love all of its features .. so im going to look at the Strider compact which is apparently leaner and lighter.. so will see..
i do love the mammas and pappas urbo but it says its only weighted up to 15ks.. so by 1and a half babys are starting to get to big for it already..

so many to chose from its impossible to decide

#7 Eirlys

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:43 PM

I have a mini cooper so my options are well limited. But at the moment I am leaning towards a bugaboo bee plus, but I find searching for a pram draining and scary, let alone car seats. Brings on a headache.

#8 Serapod

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

BBV do you have a price limit?

My car is a 2dr Toyota Yaris Hatchback - VERY tiny. My husband and I went to Babyco(Melbourne) and got a demo pram and capsule to chuck in the car to check the fit. I highly recommend you do that before getting your heart set on a particular one. Ultimately I got the Steelcraft Agile Plus (just released) Which is a small fold, 10kgs, easily folded and unfolded and was rrp $499. We got the matching capsule for ease in the car as ours is 2doors. I've seen mixed weights for the Agile range, from 17-22kgs child weight.

Salespersons are very helpful and happy to accompany you to your car to check the fit normally, and should have suggestions on prams and carseats to fit in certain models original.gif

#9 SlyMonkey

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:57 PM

I'm getting the Bugaboo C3. Wouldn't mind something for jogging also though.

#10 mummy.to.one

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

We have a peg perego P3 for DS, I bought it early when I was pregnant and looking back now I wish I did more research. It's great now but I really wish I had a reverse facing pram for newborn stage.

This time, I have bought a bugaboo donkey, only because it was on a great sale price. It was otherwise going to be a BJCS, but there were a few things I wasn't a fan of with the BJCS such as the toddler seat not being able to face out while you use the bassinet in the top.

The donkey is bulky but it has other features I liked.

#11 lozoodle

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:19 PM

Ive got the strider plus, i bought it when my eldest was 1. Love that i can have baby and todd,er in at same time, but also that the second seat is removable so im not always stuck with a double pram.

I do heaps of walking and its great. Love the car capsule for it too original.gif

#12 WinterIsComing

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

Bugaboo Cameleon is the ultimate pram, still.

I also have a Maclaren, and I only use it for flying. It feels like a supermarket trolley in comparison!

Bugaboo practically pushes itself, and is so  so so comfortable for the baby. The rearfacing feature is so important, I don't know how parents cope with not seeing their young babies while walking!

I'd purchase it again, if I had to choose once more.

#13 lorywhol

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:33 PM

We have a small car with a very small boot.

Last time I got the Steelcraft Profile Stroller - birth to 4 years (only just gave it away when we took it to Bali this year).

This time I am deciding between the Baby Jogger City Mini or the Steelcraft Agile. Both fit in the car!!

#14 LittleSpoon

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:58 PM

I'm thinking about the steelcraft agile with capsule. It's light and easy to collapse. The only downside is that it doesn't fit a second seat, but I don't know when we would think about having a second child.  I did look at my friends BJCS. did look nice, but more complicated to collapse and much more expensive.

#15 BBV

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

Serapod: I don't really want to spend anymore than 800...which seems to me to be a lot of money anyway, I never realized how expensive prams are. I think our next step is going to baby shop to see what will fit in the boot. This is turning into a great thread, plenty of prams I hadn't considered.

I have heard about the bugaboo but think that will be out of our price range...

Edited by BBV, 03 October 2012 - 04:02 PM.

#16 Nataliah

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:58 AM

We are getting the Stokke Xplory V3.  It's pretty $$, but I have only read amazing reviews on it.  In particular I have read so many reviews where people have bought 2, 3 or 4 prams before finally getting the Xplory and loving it.  I'd rather buy once and get it right.  The main feature I like is the height of the baby, DH is 6'5" and the Xplory is widely recommended for tall people.  I also like that it doubles as a highchair when eating out.

#17 SarahVandooo

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:26 PM

http://www.babybunting.com.au/index.php/prams/28590.html

My pram on layby now, love it

#18 elmo_mum

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:35 PM

hey - not in the dig but....

go to a baby store, and ask ask ask questions!!!

know what you want in a pram
3 or 4 wheels?
r u going "off rd" or are you a city chick?
big car? small car?
reversible handles?
how heavy?

have a budget and stick to it!!!!!!
most prams are about the $500 ish range..... some are cheaper
generally the cheaper, the heavier and bulkier they are
have a test run in the store
take it to the car
fold it
carry it....

#19 Alxeen

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

Yep, prams are expensive! When you are paying for a pram what you would pay for a (albeit crappy) car it does make me really thnk twice whether I want to commit, but having said that, I got such good value out of my pram it was 100% worth it.

Great thread! I think DH and I really need to go and 'test drive' some prams and then if my initial thoughts on BJCS are wrong I'll come back to this thread and do some more research.

#20 Barefooted

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:07 PM

I have a strider plus 3. I bought it last year before I had a miscarriage. I have kept it unused in the shed since.  I am tall for a woman my husband is also tall and it was the best we found aside from th xplory which w as not in our budget. We did get the strider plus and capsule for under 700 at closing down.

#21 Eirlys

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:06 PM

Well, we went into a babyshop today, and actually tried out some prams. I found the agile steelcraft fits in the back of a mini cooper, but you take the two biggest wheels off. And their travel system capsule fits in the car. BUT my preferred option of the bugaboo bee fits better in the boot and the maxi cosi titan, fits but really only just.

Definitely makes life interesting.the maxi cosi titan has no crep rating and other maxi cosi capsules have had a low crep rating should I be worried?

#22 nikkibaby1

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

Well apparently my mum and sister are buying me a city select versa

#23 lorywhol

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:08 PM

Just checked out Amazon for the Britax Agile (which is Steelcraft) and it is much cheaper even with shipping.

Has anyone done this before?

#24 Cloria

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:01 AM

QUOTE (lorywhol @ 10/10/2012, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just checked out Amazon for the Britax Agile (which is Steelcraft) and it is much cheaper even with shipping.

Has anyone done this before?

Might seem like a silly question, but how do you know the Britax is the Steelcraft? I haven't done any research at all but our friends have a Steelcraft they are looking at selling but I guess it depends what they want for it, and if we could get new for similar price from overseas I would look at doing that.

#25 MrsBobby

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:18 AM

I was looking at Amazon too, but for the Baby Jogger City Elite... It is so much cheaper! Even compared to the NZ website... I think I might risk it but we won't buy until next weekend when we have tried it out at the baby store... Hopefully it's good!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.