Are your family your friends?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 A.K.A

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

Or are you friends your family? Or both?

I've had some relationships break down recently and I want hope it's still possible wink.gif

#2 elegie

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:23 PM

Hmm, for me family is family and friends are friends.

I love my family to bits, as family. And some of my friends I love almost as much, but most of them are just friends. Perhaps one is in the nature of family - and my family consider her in that way too.

#3 Guest_Maybelle_*

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:38 PM

My immediate family are my friends, totally.  I love hanging out with them.  My Mum is one of my closest friends  wub.gif Aside from my husband, she is the first person I want to talk to when I get good or bad news, and we can natter for hours!  I would totally choose her and my Dad as friends if we weren't related, and my siblings are fabulous too.  

We don't live in the same state as our extended family.

EFS

Edited by Maybelle, 28 September 2012 - 01:38 PM.

#4 Therin

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:41 PM

My mum is one of my closest friends...

And my sister is pretty cool, though she can get under my skin a lot more than a standard friend can.

And there are friends that I would do just about anything for so...

#5 madmother

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:44 PM

My mother was my best friend.

I have many close friends, but only a couple I would consider family.

Now my DH is the closest person on this earth to me. But then all my immediate family are gone.  unsure.gif

#6 Mummytoyou

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:44 PM

No sad.gif

#7 Roobear

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:49 PM

My mum and my sister I would consider my closest friends...we have many similar interests and enjoy doing things together. My dad and my brother I love dearly we don't have much in common and don't really get past small chat when we catch up.

#8 *RockTot*

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:55 PM

My dad & I are good friends, mum & I are just too different sad.gif  
Aunts, Uncles, cousins etc, no, wouldnt consider any of them friends.

#9 countrychic29

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:55 PM

My family are family and friends are friends ... apart from my best friend who is the sister i never had.

#10 WibbleWobble

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:57 PM

Definately not.

I can't relate to people who say their mother or sisters are their best friend. The relationship with my family is always fragile and you never know when some innocent comment will be misconstrued and lead to the break down of a relationship. My mother has not spoken to me for the last 3 months (over some really petty bullsh*t) so I guess if my family were friends, they would be the " with friends like these you don't need enemies" sort of friends.

My friends on the other hand are brilliant.  wub.gif

#11 farfaraway

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:58 PM

Absolutely for me - my mum is my closest friend and my brothers and I are extremely close. Not so for my DH - his family are completely different and are very much just family to him (and me, can't choose them!)

#12 Therese

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:04 PM

I have both. My sisters are my friends, my cousins are my friends. My parents are my parents wink.gif I adore them and speak to them all the time but they are still my parents.

I have some absolutely wonderful friends who I count as family too. Some have been around for 25 years or more and so know so much about my history. I am very lucky  wub.gif

#13 hungryhippo

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:05 PM

I am very different to my whole family and don't have close relationships with any of them. I am the only one that has been to Uni and gotten a job that isn't a trade or service and none of them can relate to that, so put me down. They don't ask about my life, because it is different to theirs so they don't really care.

My mother in particular always picks the negatives about everything and has a huge sense of self entitlement. She thinks everything should go her way and if it doesn't then she constantly b!tches. I can't stand it. E.g. if DP is busy and can't come with me to see my family then she just goes on and on about him not being there.

My friends are beautiful and I love them dearly. I am closer to DP's family than my own and I prefer to spend time with them than my own family.

Edited by hungryhippo, 28 September 2012 - 02:05 PM.

#14 EsmeLennox

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

Some are, some aren't.

#15 R2B2

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:08 PM

I tolerate my family when I have to. my friends are my friends. some of my friends are even more like my family. my family are a pack of a*holes.

#16 squeekums

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:09 PM

My friends are my family and have been from a very young age.

After my mum died when I was 12, my family completely broke down (was fractured before that) Father became a gambleing addicted, abusive alco and I last spoke to him at 15, he died about 5 years ago when I was 19.

My friends and their parents treated me as one of their own. I even have 2 mums and a dad - all friends parents who I call mum/dad and they said to. I have many sisters as well. biggrin.gif
They are there for me when I need it, pull me into line when I need it lol and treat me with love and respect.
They are my family.

#17 Babushka Doll

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:10 PM

For sure - My Mum is my best friend, we talk everyday, sometimes twice and when I have a day off work I hang out with her and the kids.

I am very close to my two brothers too, we speak almost daily and do social things together.

#18 kpingitquiet

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:31 PM

Some of my family members are my friends (my 1st cousins, especially) and I would love to live close to the whole amazing bunch of them and hang out regularly. Alas, we live on three continents and rely mostly on skype and FB to stay close. Additionally, some of my friends are my chosen family, like the one person who flew to Australia for our wedding. She's my family in many many ways. An ex-gf of mine is also now very much family. Her mom and sister and daughter are all very special to me and we talk constantly. I was the first non-related person they called when the daughter was born  wub.gif

#19 TenOfSwords

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:41 PM

My family (parents and siblings) are definitely not my friends. I have nothing to do with them, and never will.
I have friends who I consider to be my family.

Edited by RunawayPrincess, 23 October 2012 - 05:21 PM.

#20 OneProudMum

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:00 PM

My family is very close. My husband and mum are very close to me. My brother and sister and I are very close and I love my niece and nephews like my own (well, almost).

I have 3 close gf's. 1 of them lost her mum at a very early age. I consider her my sister. Another I have been friends with for 16 years. She is also like a sister and then her sister and I are very close.

I also have a family friend that I consider to be my brother. He has been in our life for longer than I can remember.

Our family is one of those families that always gets people saying "I wish they were my family" or "I wish my parents were more like yours".

When a crisis happens, it happens to all of us.We share the highs and the deepest of lows.

I constantly remind myself how, although I have so little, I have so much support and love in my family that most people just do not get.

#21 lovemybabies86

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE (squeekums @ 28/09/2012, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My friends and their parents treated me as one of their own. I even have 2 mums and a dad - all friends parents who I call mum/dad and they said to. I have many sisters as well. biggrin.gif
They are there for me when I need it, pull me into line when I need it lol and treat me with love and respect.
They are my family.

and we wouldnt have it any other way we are very proud to have u as our family original.gif

#22 squeekums

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE (lovemybabies86 @ 28/09/2012, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and we wouldnt have it any other way we are very proud to have u as our family original.gif

naww, your stuck with me now mwhahahaha! biggrin.gif

#23 Kalota

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:35 PM

It depends.

Some family members are not my friends. In fact, there was a huge falling out in my family earlier this year which makes me sad but resulted in many family members not talking anymore.

But some family members are definitely my friends!

And some of my friends I treat as if they're family! Others are just "friends" per se original.gif

So, it really depends on the person! There are a whole lot of people in my life (whether they are related to me or not) and we all have different, complex and individual relationships!

#24 Starrydawn

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:44 PM

Yes they are.  We are all very close.

#25 SophieBear

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:44 PM

My sister is one of my best friends and my mum is a very close friend. Unfortunately, my relationship with both of them can be a little one sided.
My SIL to be is also a best friend.
I have many friends but none know me like my family do. I still love them like family though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Ideas for recording baby milestones

Get the props, lights and camera ready to record the milestone moments in your baby's first months and years. Tip: set a reminder in your phone (or jot it in a calendar) to make sure you remember it every month.

From penis amputation to fatherhood

After a botched circumcision as a child, Mike Moore was left without a penis. Years later, and after meeting the right surgeon, he was able to become a dad - naturally.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Your baby's first shoes, made with your own hands

Imagine someone saying to you, "Your baby?s shoes are magnificent, where?d you get them?" And you reply, "Oh, these? I made them."

Mother bites off pit bull's ear to save toddler

What would you do if your child was being attacked by a vicious dog? One mother recently had to learn the hard way.

Couple dies 15 hours apart after 70 years of marriage

A couple who held hands at breakfast every morning even after 70 years of marriage have died 15 hours apart.

Behind the scenes of Kate and George's cuddly photo

Every face is partially obscured, but there's no denying the happiness and love in the faces of the royal mum and bub.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Your baby?s developmental roadmap

Caring for your new baby can feel like driving along a dark highway without a GPS: you know your destination ? a happy, healthy human being ? but you?re not sure whether you?re heading in the right direction.

Breaking out of the isolation of motherhood

There can be many reasons for mummy isolation ? and you don?t have to be a new mother to feel like you're often doing it all alone. Here, mums share their stories of feeling isolated, and what they do to try to break out of it.

The billionaire baby with $10,000 worth of prams

When money is no object you can go all out when it comes to baby transportation, as this billionaire socialite has shown.

Medication helps depressed mums to breastfeed

Breastfeeding mums are often told their medication may pass into their milk, but a new study suggests the benefits of taking antidepressants are greater than any risks to baby.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.