IUGR Diagnosed..

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Mum_of_five

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:51 PM

Had my 28 week scan and bubs is IUGR.. Her legnth is 28cm, so growth is fine, head measures 'normal' tummy measures small and she weighs at the moment 1080 kg, on the 40-45th percentil...
They are doing 'fetal monitoring' and the monitoring showed that heartrate and breathing are currently 'normal' with mo signs of distress ect..

I am due Dec, but they are doing another growth scan at 32 weeks and at least want me to get to 32 weeks, then week after week from there... They will induce only when bubs has had enough and needs to come out... I have a scan already booked for 34 weeks and am being closely monitored... Bubs was moving around alot during the US and that is a great sign that at the moment, she is not under any stress and doind well apart from the weight... There is a very high possibility that i wont go full-term, but hoping we can get close to full-term as possible with close monitoring...

Has anyone been through this and can tell me what to expect at birth/after birth? I know that all pregnancies and births are different and that babies can spend time in NICU, and alot depends on bubs weight ect.. I am going to buy a 'hand electric breast pump' incase bubs has issues with attaching and am planning on breatfeeding fully, this is our 5th and all my other children were full term and over 3kg at birth... This is the first IUGR baby for me and i am going to be a little anxious until bubs is born...

#2 elmo_mum

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

hey
i would suggest a medela swing, or if you can afford it the freestyle (its a double pump)

you can also hire one through aba (if you join up is pretty cheap)

i suggest medela as thats what most hospitals use... so its easier to interchange the bottles and shields etc

there are also heaps of support groups available - for iugr and prems as well

try miracle babies
and lifes little treaasures

#3 ninaswalk

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:07 PM

Hi, My DS sounds very similar to you.  I too had very similar concerns as you do.  His length and head measurements were within the normal range and all other checks were fine as well but his abdominal measurements were below the 10th percentile from about 30 weeks.  I had fortnightly ultrasounds to monitor his growth and while it was slow, he kept growing.  I was induced at 37 weeks as my OB felt it was better for him to be out than in, and the risks of prematurity had passed.  My labour lasted 2 hrs and DS was born 2.3kgs (5lb2oz).  He was perfectly healthy, no NICU, fed brilliantly and came home in the normal time frame.  Now his is 19mths and perfectly healthy.  Still tiny (has been below the 3rd percentile in weight all along) but very healthy and normal in every other way.  Hope this helps ease your mind! Good luck!

#4 thunderbird

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:47 PM

Hi - my DD was very similar, too. Only that her IUGR (tummy size only) was picked up at the 20-week scan. Then gone through heaps of blood test to work out why (nothing abnormal was found) and was then closely monitored from 28 weeks onwards: 2 ultrasounds and 3 heart rate monitors a week! She was growing well but stayed behind. Then at 36 weeks the ultrasound found that she did not grow at all for that past week so the OB decided to get her out. We had her 2 days later. She weighed just over 2 kilos (2.046) but perfectly healthy. She stayed in special care for 7 days just to get her weight gain started and then we took her home. Has had no problems at all since. She caught up in size in a few months (was 50th percentile by 6 months actual age). She is happy, chatty 3 year old now! Good luck, hope you'll make it as long as possible!
Oh, yes, the OB said that the placenta was on it way out - it looked like a 42-week placenta at 36 weeks.

#5 Xiola

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:03 AM

My DD was IUGR.  I had a low papp-a level at the bloods for my NT scan which was an alarm bell and she measured around the 12 percentile from the beginning.  I had regular growth scans from 20 weeks, she had a growth spurt between 24 and 28 weeks (jumped to the 34th percentile) and then dropped off completely between 34 to 36 weeks where she hardly grew at all.  I was induced at 37 weeks and she was tiny but perfectly fine weighing in at 2.28kg (5 lb) 46cm with a 32cm head.  She was incredibly tiny for me as my boys were both big (3.98kg and 4.39kg).

She was in NICU for 2 days to regulate her sugars and I pumped round the clock to get my milk to come in as her mouth was just too tiny to latch on (she tried though but would get too tired).  She had formula with a supply line (she sucked on my finger to keep her sucking reflex going strong) for a few days and had any milk/colostrum I managed to get out.  We were in hospital for 6 days and she was breastfeeding exclusively by day 7 (although some midwives told me it could take weeks which scared the crap out of me!)

She's 13 months now and still quite tiny (10th percentile for weight, 75th for height) but absolutely fine, eats wonderfully and still has two BF's a day.

Good luck!

#6 AmicusCuriae

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

My DD was growing normally till very late on in the piece - at about 33 weeks my BP went up dramatically but since I was between visits to the OB and was in the middle of a busy patch at work it went undiagnosed until 35 weeks, at which point the OB wanted her out for both of our sakes.

She was born at 36 weeks at 2.15kgs (4lb11.5oz), and spent 11 days in the SCN because her sucking reflex was poor - she was otherwise perfectly healthy.  Her placenta was apparently on the way out though, so I'm very glad the OB didn't let me "wait and see".  She is still tiny (10th percentile for adjusted age), but otherwise a very normal and happy baby.

Re BF, it took a while to establish, she struggled to latch (had to use a nipple shield) and got too tired, so was about 12 weeks old when we finally stopped giving her top ups.  Still BFing today (though she also loves her solids!).  I hired a Medela Symphony to use at home (same as they used at the hospital) and she was given EBM from the time my milk came in. I can't say I was sad to be rid of it, but having a strong double pump was a lot more efficient than using a smaller battery operated pump. It cost me $20 a week from a local pharmacy.

#7 Mum_of_five

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

Thankyou all for your replies original.gif You have all been so reassuring, and i am waiting now for my 32 week scan and see what they say.. I am 30 weeks tomorrow, and i am doing movement monitoring at home... So far she has been active and doing 10 movements in less than 30 minutes...

Will be harder to do the movement counts as there becomes less room for her to move, and i am hoping that i have more regular visits to the hospital so they can monitor, but they are going to be keeping a close observation on my placenta, because that is their concern... They have said that her stomach is small and that indicates that the placenta functions need to be monitored, and that they will deliver when needed, even if that is at 32 weeks...

They are hoping to get me to min 34 weeks and i have to be prepared to be induced at any time, so for me it is a matter of waiting and taking this week by week.. If the placenta is functioning and bubs is growing at least, they will let me go to37maybe 38 weeks. Dont think they are happy for me to go past 38 weeks at the moment...
But if it is better for bubs to be out and to put wieght on through BF ect, then i am definantly happy to have bubs when the hospital says i need tobe induced, no matter how many weeks i am... Bubs comes first and the placental function is the one thing i am worried about..

Thankyou for the breast pump suggestions and also info on BF, i am hoping that bubs is able to latch properly at birth, but am prepared to express and know that i may be in for an emotional hospital stay with bubs... All my other children were 7 pounds to 9 pounds so i have never had a small baby and this is all a very new experience for me, and has been an emotional pregnancy as well...

Thankyou elmo_mum for the web sites original.gif

#8 Mariamsmum

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:25 AM

Hi mum2bof5.

I hope that you are doing well and that your 32 weeks scan shows improvement in growth.

To be honest I'm surprised that you were given a diagnosis of IUGR with your daughter measuring on the 40th-45th percentile as that is is still within the normal range. I know twin gestations are different but my twins were measuring on the 10th percentile and IUGR was never mentioned. My understanding is that  IUGR refers to a baby whose estimated weight is below the 10th percentile for its gestational age and whose abdominal circumference is below the 2.5th percentile.

In any case to reassure you, my twins were born at 36 weeks weighing 2.3 and 2.6kg and spent 10 days in special care and did very well. I was able to establish breastfeeding with help, my smaller twin had trouble sucking so needed EBM and formula top ups but both thrived. All the best in the coming weeks.

#9 Mum_of_five

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:29 PM

miriamsmum original.gif I will have to ask about cicumfrance of her tummy, because they said her tummy is smaller than it should be, small enough for them to want to monitor her... I know she is 1080 grams and i am not sure if that is within the range of being ok... All my other children were decent weights from 7 pound 1 to 8 pound 15, but next time i have an appointment i hope they can give me a better idea of what is going on...

thankyou all for your replies and advice original.gif I am hoping at my 32 week app that she has gained weight and her tummy measures according to gestation...

#10 PonyoLand

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:32 AM

My DS was born at 34 weeks & was IUGR at 1.6kg, difference being ours wasn't picked up until he was an emerg c section due to preeclampsia. He spent 5 weeks in SCN, largely because his suck reflex & feeding took ages to establish. We used a nipple shield & bottle EBM top ups until 4 something months.  He also spent the first 2 weeks in a humicrib because he couldn't maintain his own body temp. He was breathing on his own so didnt need any support there. Our staff were great & would answer even the same questions over again, no worries. They understand you're trying to process a lot & may forget. They also did his keepsake footprints for us & took photos of what he was doing when we weren't there too original.gif

With an IUGR diagnosis I'd stock up on premmie clothes, 00000 & 0000 size clothes. DS didn't make it to 000 until he was around 5 months.
DS is now just on the 3% line on the charts for length at 8months, but got chubby & has made it closer to the 15% for weight original.gif

I hope it all goes well for you & you can make it to that 38 weeks.

I also second the Medela Swing recommendation - great pump. Electric is much much easier than manual.

#11 Humpty Dumpty

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

I too had an IUGR bub. After 2 perfect pregnancies it was a bit of a shock. At 32 weeks I had a scan to check position of the placenta (was low lying at 20 week scan) bub measured on the 11th percentile. They said all was fine. At 37 weeks my ob commented bub was small (my gut feeling was that something wasnt right too) and sent me for a growth scan. Scan showed he had dropped to the 3rd percentile and my fluid was just about gone. I was induced the next day and he was born 2.2kgs (5lbs exactly) at 37w6d. His sugar levels were very low so he was in the ICU for 3 days on a glucose drip. Then we were in for another 5 days to get feeding and everything else established. He breastfed well from the beginning but get tired quickly so I was BF and topping up with EBM. By the time we came home he was exclusively breastfed without needing top ups. He gained weight brilliantly for the first 6 months but has had a lot of problems since then, to the point where he is failure to thrive and nasogastric tube fed. But I dont think that this has anything to do with the problems at birth.

Good luck! It can be a scarey time but I hope you are holding a nice healthy bub soon. I agree about stocking up on premmie clothes. I had nothing and had to send my mum out to the shops to get me some stuff. Mothercare so do some nice things as well as best and less, pumpkin patch and target

#12 jessa86

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

My first 2 were both IUGR. Both born below 5th percentile. DS1 I went overdue, he was 5lb 8oz and spent 2 days in SCN due to an unrelated heart murmur and he was a touch jaundice. We've had no problems since and he is a perfectly healthy 5 year old. We had no problems with feeding.

With DS2 I was monitored very closely due to my history, fortnightly scans from 30 weeks, he was measuring around 20th percentile at 30 weeks and it dropped every fortnight from then, at 37 weeks fluid levels dropped below normal and he was delivered at 38 weeks via c-section weighing 5lb 13oz, he was perfectly healthy, we had a few issues with his attachment because he was so small but other than that he was fine, we got breastfeeding established and he fed for 2 years.

DS3 showed signs of IUGR at 30 weeks, where he was only 10th percentile, he didn't have any improvement at my next 2 scans, then at 36 weeks had a big growth spurt and my OB was happy to wait until 39 weeks to deliver. He was born 6lb 10oz, still small but much bigger than my others.

IUGR babies that are born after 37 weeks are generally perfectly healthy, they're just small. As long as they are monitoring you with regular scans and CTG's you should be fine.

#13 MissButtercup

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

I am in the same position as well. My 30 week scan to check placenta position showed bub was on the 9th percentile and cord flow wasn't good. I was given steroids and have been monitored twice a week via CTG and have twice a week doppler monitoring.

Last week my growth scan showed a big improvement - up to the 18th percentile and improvement in cord flow (due to steroids i think) but this weeks doppler shown poor cord flow again and my last ctg monitoring showed bubs heart rate was all over the shop (not a nice straight line like it should be, bub must have been overactive.) I am now 35 weeks and have another appointment with my OB and I am kind of expecting to be booked in for a c/s next week or the week after.

It's such a roller coaster of emotions so I feel for anyone going through this. It's the uncertainty that's driving me nuts at the moment!

#14 CountryBumpkin

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

A dr was concerned about IUGR my last oregnancy, I was told it was more about consistent slowed or no growth? I had a preemie (due ti other reasons) they said around 30 weeks 1kg is a normal weight, my daughter was 1.6 kg. so I would think she is actually a good weight.

#15 tishka

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:11 AM

We had DD st 36+2 weighing 2.01. In SCN for 23 days, and tube fed for most of that time.IUGR due to dodgy placenta, and born by emergency c-section. She weighed 4.07 at 3 months, and is otherwise happy.For those given a diagnosis of IUGR, I would recommend pumping even before bub is out. Most people (including me) don't know that you can pump and get colostrum from 35w. It would have been soooo helpful to have that, and bub may not have needed any formulae if I had known that.  At the very least, it would have made it a lot easier to get breast feeding established, and therefore a shorter time in SCN.Small for age babies are usually healthy, and may reach milestones slightly later.  Other than having to buy more smaller sized clothes, higher chances of reflux (awful and tedious for everyone) and having to monitor weight gain and BFs more closely, it's no different to having a regular sized term baby.If you aren't getting regular scans and heart monitoring for the baby, demand that you do.  This ultimately saved the life of our DD, and we are so grateful.

#16 Soontobegran

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

Hi OP.
I am also surprised at the diagnosis on IUGR at 28 weeks based on what you've told us. Your little one is almost bang on average size for this gestation and head size, fluid levels and placental function all normal.
http://www.babycentre.co.uk/e1004000/avera...nd-weight-chart.

I am glad they are monitoring growth etc but it all sounds pretty good so far.
Lots of luck.

#17 suline

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

The OP delivered back in december, Old thread.

#18 Soontobegran

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE (suline @ 11/05/2013, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The OP delivered back in december, Old thread.

That'll teach me for not checking the dates and going through current topics original.gif  Must check out the details then.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

WIN two Sea-Bands plus $1000

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band Prize Pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos Gift Card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.