Ob fees...is this normal or a rort

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 MalibuZoo

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:35 PM

This is my third pg and unfortunately due to retirement have to see a new ob. ( one of only two private practice obs, who practice from the same rooms)

First visit $210
Subsequent visits range $140 - $160
Management fee $1600 payable after 24 weeks
There will be no oop expenses for delivery as it will be direct billed to ph fund, unless a CS is required and oop expenses will be incurred

I have never recalled paying so much per visit and a management fee. Is this not double dipping.
Am I not paying for the ob to manage this pg by paying so much for each antenatal appt?
Is it not one in the same thing just called another name to get more $$

#2 BentoBaby

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:39 PM

I'm in Sydney & my "cheap" ob was about $250 initial visit, $75 subsequent, $2000 management.

Many of my friends payed management fees of $8000-$12,000!

#3 chic mummy

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:39 PM

i decided to go public in the end but when i was considering go private with my health care fund i found this to be the norm with many OB i contacted.

#4 Violet Devine

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:40 PM

Sounds similiar but cheaper than my Ob's charges in Perth this year.

#5 Pop-to-the-shops

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:41 PM

In Melb the cheapest I could find was three grand.

My old dr has gone up to about five grand

#6 tibs

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:41 PM

I don't know, my visits were all bulk billed but the management fee was $3500 so it probably ended up costing the same as yours just structured differently  shrug.gif

#7 PoshMosh

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:45 PM

In Syd, $150 first visit, $250 all subsequent visits and $2K management fee.

Had a premmie at 33 wks at a public hospital so she never ended up getting her $2K but did charge me $100 for the 6 week check up.

#8 LittleBeach

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:57 PM

OP, these fees sound quite reasonable for a private OB.  I ended up being out of pocket by approx. $4K.  Cuts to the safety net for Obstetrics were cut back at start of 2010.  See article below:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-a...f-1225711877447

#9 MalibuZoo

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:05 PM

Thanks everyone that has replied.
Looks like it is standard practice. Just don't understand how they can justify such exxy antenatal appts then charge a management fee. Isn't that what they are doing at each visit....managing the pregnancy  shrug.gif

#10 eckstar

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:06 PM

My Ob was $190 first visit, $80 for subsequent visits.
No management fee and no oop expenses for delivery as it was billed straight to health fund. There was a visit around 36 weeks which was $300 and the 6 week check up is $100. But thats it. Theres no way I could go private if I was having to pay $3k upwards management fees.

#11 jayskette

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:10 PM

wow OP that is actually among the CHEAPEST rates I've ever heard of. Where are you?  biggrin.gif

#12 Soontobegran

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:24 PM

Very, very reasonable rates OP.
The management fee is one of the cheapest I have heard of and the other appointment costs pay for rental of rooms, staff, insurance etc etc, it doesn't all go into their pockets.
Having said that I know it is a shock if you had babies before all the medicare changes to obstetrics which have resulted in these changes to fee structuring.
Good luck with your pregnancy original.gif

#13 mummabear5

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:59 AM

I'm currently preg and decided to go public through group midwifery... My GP gave me three obs to call when I found out I was preg and thought I'd check my options out.

The range (out of pocket costs after medicare and private health) was $6000-$8000. They all made it clear to me that if I required epidural etc in hosp that would be additional, as well as paed check at the hosp and any scans etc. So, it could have easily gotten up my another $1K or more.....

With such brilliant midwifery programs and shared care options, I decided that money could go to use on better things for our family. But, I have friends who have paid b/w $5-$10K out of pocket (who all had health insurance), but they wanted the Ob and private hospital stay so were willing to pay the $$....

It sounds like you are getting a reasonable deal tbh based on the costs around my local area.

#14 mummame

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:03 AM

That sound normal for me, The management fee in QLD for me is $2000 and each visit $100. It gets very expensive, but due to the medicare safety net, which is not as good as it used to be, eventually my appt end up being about $30. They used to go down to $11 at the end of the pregnancy. All three of my pregnancies have had a $1500-$2000 managment fee!

#15 qak

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:35 AM

My understanding is that the management fee is actually a  (part!) pre-payment of the birth costs.  There was a Medicare reason to pay this beforehand under the old (pre-2010) rules, but I am not sure if that still applies.

#16 Starletta

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:05 AM

I thought the management fee was for the Ob to be available to you 24/7 during your pregnancy. Thats how it was explained to me. My ob used to return my emails or calls all hours of the day on his blackberry.

Anyway I think that is incredibly reasonable in terms of fees.

#17 MrsLexiK

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:06 AM

Hi OP that would be cheap IMO.  I did a ring around and all charged around $130- $170 for the first appt, then $ 80 - $90 for follow up appts, but the management fees where $3K plus.  Luckily the one that I am going with the mangement fee is only $685 (but that is because he has a deal with my health fund)

#18 ECsMum

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:07 AM

I think paying more for each visit and a smaller Management Fee you would be better off - no matter what the managment fee you can only get the max of $400 odd back from Medicare - but you can get some back from medicare for each ob appointment - so if my math and logic serve me right you would actually be ahead of people who pay much higher managment fees and smaller checkup rates.

Edited by ECsMum, 27 September 2012 - 09:08 AM.

#19 Bluenomi

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:15 AM

QUOTE (Starletta @ 27/09/2012, 09:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought the management fee was for the Ob to be available to you 24/7 during your pregnancy. Thats how it was explained to me. My ob used to return my emails or calls all hours of the day on his blackberry.

Anyway I think that is incredibly reasonable in terms of fees.

That's pretty much it, the management fee is to pay for the fact they are on call to come whenever you go into labour. You pay it to make sure you get who you want at the hospital, not some random OB.

And I'm another one who thinks you've found a cheap on OP!

#20 caitiri

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:25 AM

My OB (melbourne) was just under $2000 as a management fee but all the appointments were bulk billed.

ETA that was 2010

Edited by caitiri, 27 September 2012 - 09:28 AM.

#21 whale-woman

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:33 AM

Lol, seems very cheap for a private ob.

If you think it's too much go with the public system.

#22 Jess1308

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:34 AM

From memory our expenses all up was around $4500, plus attending pediatrician and anesthetist...

#23 Carabosse

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:34 AM

My understanding is that the management fee is  actually a  (part!) pre-payment of the birth costs.  There was a  Medicare reason to pay this beforehand under the old (pre-2010) rules,  but I am not sure if that still applies.

Yes I am pretty sure the fee structure had something to do with being able to claim the management fee 'code' back once you went over the medicare threshold but I think medicare closed this loophole? I could be wrong. My babies were pre 2010 and I got a huge chunk of the management fee back from medicare.

The figure do sound similar to what I paid pre 2010. But I got a lot of it back via medicare.

#24 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

I think I paid slightly more than that last year (I'm in Brisbane).

#25 BJBubbles

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:47 AM

I think It's an absolute bargain!

Even if you have 20 appointments in your pregnancy (which I doubt you will!)  it would still only cost you around $4600 before medicare rebates! And like PP's said, paying for your visits give you a bigger rebate.

FWIW, my OB in Melbourne is $550 for first appointment, $6500 management fee. Nothing else OOP from her. Visits are bulk billed and delivery is no gap. I personally don't care how much she costs, I'm getting the care  want/need from her, and that is invaluable to me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Teaching our son to say no to violence against women

Today, on White Ribbon Day - and every other day - we're teaching our son to say no to violence against women.

Mothers told to breastfeed in 'spacious' toilet

If there is one thing the owners of Tillings Cafe can be certain of, it is that the eatery won't win the award for Britain's best baby-friendly coffee shop any time soon.

Mother gives name to son dumped down drain

A woman who admitted to dumping her newborn baby down a Sydney drain has reportedly been allowed to give him a name.

Taking small steps to reduce stress

Are you feeling used up by life's stress, family problems and a demanding job you can't turn off? Many people are way beyond work-life exhaustion. They are functioning as robots.

Bad news: we're running out of chocolate

The world's biggest chocolate-maker says we're running out of chocolate.

Born at 23 weeks, 'Chopstick Baby' survives first week

A baby who was born at 23 weeks has survived her first week of life outside the womb.

Manic stations: the nesting instinct in pregnancy

It might sound like temporary insanity, but almost obsessive nesting as you near your due date isn’t uncommon – even if you’re not usually a particularly clean person.

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

Love has nothing to do with mental illness. But love may drive a mother to do something about it.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong'

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

Two children who were given to the wrong families at birth will soon learn if they will be returned to their biological parents.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.