August 2012 Parents Group

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 Fairey

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

Hi mums original.gif

Well Tess is falling with style from her tummy to her back. Wouldn't go as far as to call it rolling wink.gif She does it on one side only and only when we are moving toys behind her head. She's now done it from back to tummy once. So I'm not classing that as anything!

Food - I guess Tess does a mix of both baby led weaning, and spoon feeding. Sometimes we sit with the bowl and spoon and feed her. And then sometimes I just steam or roast stuff and give it to her (messy times, messy times!). She also sucks on fingers of cucumber etc. I'm really slack and don't give her food as much as I probably should be. When she's in her chair she always leans to one side (weirdo!). It's hilarious!!

Feeding - JLove, if you feel that you have to drop to some formula feeds, then do it. Don't feel too guilty - whatever works is what works original.gif

Had 6 month immunisations today. Can't believe how fast time seems to be passing me by!

Work - Sadly, Dooms Day (first day back wink.gif) is creeping up rather quickly. Tess will be 8.5 months when I go back, but I'm only going back part time. I'm sure I'll love it when I go back, but it kills that it's creeping up so soon!

#27 Jlove14

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

Fairey- looks like my lo and tess have the exact same skills in rolling! haha!  I just keep flipping him onto his tummy in the hopes that he will do it himself one day...on the upside he has started to sit unsupported for a VERY short amount of time (and only when he feels like it!).  Also lo hates his highchar and leans to one side as well, had a bit of a breakthrough over the last couple of days and was able to feed him all three meals without him having a meltdown!  Do you have any tips on what you did to get Tess used to the high chair?

AFU my lo got his first cold last week sad.gif( he looked so sad....had to give him panadol.  It has pretty much gone now but the congestion remains.  It is really annoying him (and me!) and he finds it hard to feed sometimes too because of the blocked nose.  I have tried saline spray, aspirator, room vaporiser, taking him outside to dry out his nose...dont know what else to do!  Anyone got any ideas?  I still havent dropped a feed, didnt want to because he got a cold so I thought I would wait it out until it has passed.  Now im thinking I'll go till the end of Feb.  At this rate I will never stop! (well not never- that would be weird).  My parents have organised a big function for him this Sunday- it will be his first rice feeding ceremony (its a big thing in our culture) so I hope he behaves! hehe

How is everyone else going with their lo's?

#28 Fairey

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

JLove - How is mr man going with rolling these days? Tess has finally worked it out (YAY!) I was on the phone to a friend only yesterday saying that she rolls back to tum and can't go back when Tess decided to prove me wrong. Today she's rolled all over the lounge room floor. Love it!
How did the rice feeding ceremony go? I hope your lo's cold was gone by then. Poor lilttle tyke!
That's very cool about the sitting up stuff. Tess doesn't even put her hands out in front of her. We sat her up once and let her go. She face planted the bed (we were still laying in bed).

White Lily - How is Neve going? She's probably been rolling both ways for quite a while by now original.gif

What foods are you both offering? Tess is having 2-3 regular meals a day now. Always breakfast and dinner, sometimes lunch.

B - rice cereal or weet bix

L - yoghurt or fruit

D - fruit or veg (last night she had baked beans)

I need some ideas of other things to give her!

AFU - We are going away next week (to America for 3 weeks). Should be interesting to see how Tess goes on the flight!

#29 Jlove14

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

Still no rolling sad.gif hope there is nothing wrong!  I keep reading and getting told that all babies are different and that babies do different things at different times and there is nothing to worry about and thats probably true but almost 7 months and not rolling I cant help but be a little worried :/

Rice feeding ceremony was good but he was not happy- poor little thing got really overwhelmed by the amount of people there!  oh well, not much you can do!

DS is having 3 meals a day as well, although it is getting more and more painful to feed him!  He seems to be going off solids for some reason???!  Takes the first few mouthfuls and then just gets really fussy and eventually starts crying.  Anyone had any experience with this?

Fairey this is what he usually eats:

B- Porridge/ oats with fruit.  I am also going to start trying weetbix.  Fruits I have tried are apple, pear, peaches, papaya

L- usually just veggies.  But I'm going to start to try giving overcooked pasta with veggies

D- Veggies with rice cereal and have recently tried veggies with some meat.  Have tried chicken and lamb

Everything has been pureed so far.  But he is starting to go for the spoon with his hands so I'm going to start trying finger foods soon.  Any suggestions for what I can give?  The only things is that he is really fussy with the consistency, it needs to be pureed pretty well or he will spit it out- think I have a fussy eater on my hands!

Have also swapped one breastfeed with a formula feed and next week will swap another. It has gone pretty well.  We are going to port macquarie for easter so I pretty much want him to be weaned by then.

Good luck with your trip Fairey and have fun!  Let us know how it goes with Tess- hope she enjoys herself

#30 Jlove14

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:07 AM

Hi allHope everyone and their bubs are going well?
Can't believe my little man is 8 months soon!!Haven't had crawling yet and he is so anti rolling!! Oh well I think he likes to take his time with things..
Fairey how did you and Tess enjoy the trip?

#31 Fairey

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

Hi girls! original.gif

JLove - hello darling! The trip was amazing. Busy but just incredible. NY was definitely a high light. I could just spend weeks walking around that city. Tess travelled better than we could have hoped for. She didn't sleep much on the plane over but that turned out to be a good thing because it was around 10:00pm by the time we arrived at the hotel, so we all went to bed and were straight on US time. She didn't have many day sleeps there though and got run down and quite sick once we arrived back in Aus. So she's on antibiotics now to hopefully get rid of her snuffles. She's still a happy kidlet though.

We don't have crawling yet either. She doesn't even give the impression that it's going to come soon. She's only just started sitting up by herself. Like your little man, JLove, Tess is just doing things in her own time original.gif

She gnawed on a lamb cutlet last night (as a finger food). Was quite funny. She sucked it dry (yummy oil and meat juice  sick.gif ) She also had a rice cake with margarine and vegemite on it the other. She loved that (she made a huge mess). I still mainly do purees... because I hate having to deal with the mess when she eats. Food wasn't a huge priority in America so now that we're back I'm going to try and get into a good food routine. Three solid feeds a day along with 4 or 5 milk feeds. Tess hasn't had her dream feed the last few nights and she hasn't woken either. So I think that feed will be definitely dropped soon.

Hope everyone else is well xx

#32 Jlove14

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:43 PM

Hi Fairey

Glad you had a good time on your trip and hope Tess is feeling better?

In the last few weeks DS has started to roll all over the place...YAY!  In fact its hard to keep him on his back for a nappy change or massage!  He is also sleeping on his tummy now.  Still no crawling but he is trying

Have you dropped the dream feed yet?  DS has 4 milk feeds (all formula now, I stopped BF a month ago) and 3 solid meals.  But he is soooooo fussy with the solids...its killing me!  Today he was refusing everything that I was giving him for lunch and was getting upset so I took him out of his chair and put him on my lap and he started eating!! What the?!  How cute that Tess was eating a lamb cutlet!!

I have started textured food and he seems to be ok with it, sometimes gags and chokes but otherwise fine! haha

Wanted to ask is anyone was doing any extra curricular activities with their little ones and if so what are they?  Need some ideas.  So far we are doing swimming lessons

Hope everyone else is going well xx

#33 Fairey

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

Hi lovely JLove original.gif

Isn't it fun when they don't stay still on the change pad?! NOT!!
We have finally dropped the dream feed. Tess is also having 3 solids and 4 formula feeds a day. When it's a child care day she eats way more (they feed them well there!!). She eats pretty much anything and everything. What a trooper wink.gif
As far as activities go we do swimming lessons and we take Tess to the library for the pre school reading session (they read a story then do a craft activity afterwards). We stay for the story and then leave. But at least Tess is being exposed to books and reading. As of tomorrow we're starting play group.
She gets a lot of interaction with other children at child care too which is great. And she plays with the most crazy stuff (play doh last week, was in the sand pit this week). So she's definitely getting lots of new experiences.
Tess is also on the move! Commando crawling everywhere - she pushes herself onto her knees and then flops back down. She can also push herself from laying down, up to her knees, then onto her bottom. Love watching her learn all these new skills!!

How amazing is their gag reflex? Blows me away how Tess gets stuff up again if she's choking - must be the same for your DS?

#34 White-Lily

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:52 PM

Hello All! It's been a while but I am back, hopefully I will be a in a bit more

Miss Neve is going well, crawling and cruising everywhere! Not ready for a walker yet but it's coming and I think it will be soon ohmy.gif she already gets in to anything and everything so i imagine that it will only get worse when she can walk!

Neve is having 5 BF's a day and 3-4 solid meals/snacks nit that she is super interested really. Breakfast (weetbix and /or toast) is the hardest time to get solids into her, too much happening!
Lunch is usually crackers and finger foods (ham, cheese, fruit/veg sticks) and some yoghurt or part of whatever I am having.
Dinner is straight off my plate. If she can pick it up/hold it then she can eat it as far as I'm concerned. We have started to give her some spooned veg just to make sure she is actually getting something in her tummy but she isn't really a fan of the spoon and sits in her high hair and shakes her head at me! Haha
Then she just snacks when DD1 is having something, which is nearly always!!

As for experiences she doesn't do anything specific. We occasionally go to a playgroup (when I can be bothered and its not a school day) and she goes into a crèche once a fortnight while I go to a meeting for something DD1 does but that's it.
I don't plan to do anything with her really. We go to the park and stuff with and have play dates with other mums and my parents have a swimming pool so both girls are taught how to swim there.

Fairey glad you enjoyed your trip and Tess travelled well!

AFM I was made redundant at work so I'm officially a SAHM... And I'm not really sure what I'm doing with my life! Haha I don't want to stay home forever but don't know what I'm doing with my career, thinking i might reskill?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.