TV at daycare... yay or nay?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Duck-o-lah

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:39 PM

DS has been attending his current daycare for two years and I've always been really happy with them. He moved up to the preschool room about seven weeks ago. A few weeks ago when I picked him up they were watching a Pixar movie on a small portable tv. It was the first time I've seen him watching tv at daycare, so I wasn't really bothered.

However last week, 3 out of 4 days when I picked him up the kids were all watching a DVD. None of this small portable tv business either, they've bought a flat screen which is now permanantly installed on the wall. The weather wasn't terrible. It was about half hour to closing time, I'm wondering if this is a new technique to quiet the kids so the staff can pack up and get out on time?

It's only been a week, so I won't say anything yet, but this is certainly not a trend I'm happy to see continue. What do you think?

#2 bakesgirls

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:43 PM

I know most won't agree but, I wouldn't have an issue with it. It's most likely only done at the end of the day when everything is winding down. It also allows the staff to keep all the kids in one area whilst they tidy up for closing.

Edited by bakesgirls, 21 September 2012 - 09:48 PM.

#3 FeeGee

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:44 PM

That is a very lazy child care centre if they entertain the kids by putting them in front of a DVD. I would definitely say something. I'd prefer quiet music playing and the kids looking at books until pick up. You're right to query this.

#4 seepi

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:46 PM

I wouldn't like it.

Ours only uses tv very rarely during all day rainy days, and even then they go for someting active like wiggles that the kids can dance along with.

#5 Glitterz

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:47 PM

I wouldn't be comfortable with that, sorry.

#6 EBeditor

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:47 PM

It's only been used on rainy days or special occasions (pyjama day) at centres my children have attended. I would question it. I would worry about their staffing levels if they have no-one to read the kids a book while another staff member tidied up.

#7 No girls here

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:48 PM

Our kids were often watching TV when we picked them up as it was in the last half hour before centre closed.  They didn't watch TV at other times so it didn't bother me as I thought it was just a wind down before close.

#8 ninaswalk

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:49 PM

If its for an educational purpose, yes.  If it's to babysit the kids, no.

#9 Silver Girl

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE (bakesgirls @ 21/09/2012, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldn't have an issue with it. It's most likely only done at the end of the day when everything is winding down. It also allows the staff to keep all the kids in one area whilst they tidy up for closing.

I agree with this. Our centre does the same shortly before closing, though not every day, and on a small portable TV. It is virtually the only TV DS watches so it doesn't bother me.

#10 *maddierose*

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:50 PM

The daycare i work at will in no way ever let us put the t.v on, although we have one.

The daycare my son attends (where i use to work) have a tv that the kids can watch if they chose not to sleep so they still have quiet time. Very occasionally they have it on at the end of the day. I do not have a problem with these scenario's.

#11 PureBliss

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:54 PM

Our centre doesn't have a tv, and it is something I am happy about. DD winds down at the end of the day by doing quiet play or reading a book/drawing a picture with a carer, often on their lap.

Between the tv, ipad and iphone she gets more than enough technology at home. I am happy for childcare to be a tv free zone.

#12 libbylu

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:58 PM

Our child care centre only resorted to it in extreme bad weather, which was a small handful of times per year.  They had enough staff on to pack up around the few kids that were still there in the 20 minutes to closing time without needing to put the tv on every day.  I wouldn't be happy about it.

#13 Jersey Caramel

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:03 PM

I am fine with the TV being used at daycare/preschool on very wet days, for special occasions (eg a movie on the last day of term) or as part of the program (eg a short documentary about a topic they've been learning about, in the preschool age group).

I would not be happy with it being used every day to babysit the kids. It would also make life a lot harder for me, because my child is one that will sit transfixed by the telly and would be resistant to leaving the centre until the show is finished.  rolleyes.gif

#14 Duck-o-lah

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:11 PM

My problem too Jersey Caramel! I couldn't get DS to leave the other day and when we got home he complained endlessly about not being able to watch a DVD when we got home (I have spent a long time enforcing this rule!).

Thanks for your feedback everyone.

#15 Sherwes1

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:11 PM

QUOTE (Jersey Caramel @ 21/09/2012, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am fine with the TV being used at daycare/preschool on very wet days, for special occasions (eg a movie on the last day of term) or as part of the program (eg a short documentary about a topic they've been learning about, in the preschool age group).

+1. This is the way that it works at the day care that my children attend.

#16 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:15 PM

I don't see a problem with this. The staff need to be able to pack up so they can get home to their own families at a reasonable time.

#17 runnybabbit

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:18 PM

The centre DS goes to doesn't have one. He gets to watch TV in the car (is a screamer otherwise, 17 months old) and very occasionally at home if he's sick and extra clingy and I need 20 minutes to put dinner on.

I wouldn't be that happy about it, TBH.

#18 Justaduck

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:24 PM

In winter time we would put the TV on at the centre for the last 30mins. It was too cold and dark outside. We would also have games and activities as well set up. Until one person complained and ruined it for the rest who didn't mind
Also would use it when it was raining, special days or sometimes would put a nursery rhyme dvd on for music time.

Please help your kids pack up the toys if they are the last ones there!!

#19 Duck-o-lah

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:55 PM

So if it's too dark and cold outside why can't they play inside without tv?

I'm not saying TV shouldn't be used at all, but I don't like the idea of using it to sedate the kids at the end of the day as a regular thing. The centre likes the kids to be picked up 15 minutes before official close so they can pack up, so I don't see why they can't dedicate their time to the few remaining children until that time. If I was picking DS up right before close, then yes I would understand, but I usually pick him up 45 minutes before close.

#20 *Finn*

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:06 PM

I don't understand what the problem with using the tv is?
If a child has been at daycare since say 8.30-9am and its 5-30Pm in the afternoon I would day they are going to be pretty tired. How is watching a short movie a problem?

If they were watching it during the day for random Reasoning I wouldn't agree but I think it's fairly acceptable for that last hr of school from say 5-6pm while the staff are running around finishing cleaning up.

Edited by *Finn*, 21 September 2012 - 11:08 PM.

#21 Guest_Lilybird_*

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:12 PM

I would have an issue with it not being portable .... I would be ok with it for rainy days or special occasions, but I know for a fact that if it was on the wall dd would walk around all day asking for "Teeee-beee?" and I'm sure other kids would be the same! I would worry about it being a bit of a slipperly slope ... first just for the last half hour while kids wind down, then at nap time for those that don't sleep .... I would basically want to know what tv "rules" they were going to enforce if it was a permanent fixture in the room.

#22 Duck-o-lah

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:16 PM

That's a good point Finn, I guess the first conclusion I draw is that the tv is for the benefit of the staff, not the children.

#23 aimzly

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:34 PM

I work in chilccare and at my old centre we would allow the children to watch TV in the morning and in the afternoon. In the morning it was off by 7am and in the evening would not come on until 6pm.  

Dont forget it is a very long day...usually the children are at day care longer than their parents are at work. They have spent the whole day playing, reading, singing & dancing, expoloring outside ect ect... so some down time cant be that bad can it? Would you prefer staff to get them all wound up so that they are all hypo when you take them home?

So many parents complain about the smallest detail... they need to think about the fact other people are caring for their children trying to meet so many seperate demands from families.

#24 CallMeFeral

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:49 PM

Big nay for me.
When I used family day care the carer specified that they watched tv for half an hour during playschool, and I was fine with that as it's just her and 5 kids, she needs her break (though I don't think it was always half an hour).
But at a daycare centre, I really would expect better. And kids that age often quite happily entertain themselves if there's other similarly aged kids around - I'm not asking for structured activity ALL day, but I think sufficient monitoring that they can do their own free play and make sure they don't kill eachother while they're at it, is not too much to ask.
I'd be very peeved if they watched tv at daycare... EVER... let alone on a regular basis.

I guess I see tv as an indulgence thing - and I'd like to keep the indulgences for special occasions/home. I'd feel the same if they fed the kids lollies every day.

#25 CallMeFeral

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:57 PM

QUOTE (Old Grey Mare @ 21/09/2012, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't see a problem with this. The staff need to be able to pack up so they can get home to their own families at a reasonable time.

Isn't that kind of like saying that teachers should be able to park their classes in front of the tv while they do lesson plans and stuff, so that they can go home with the kids do and not have to do work outside school time?

Their job is to look after the children, not park them in front of a television. The latter, I can do myself.

QUOTE (broncosbabe @ 21/09/2012, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In winter time we would put the TV on at the centre for the last 30mins. It was too cold and dark outside. We would also have games and activities as well set up. Until one person complained and ruined it for the rest who didn't mind Until one person brought up how lazy it was and fixed it for the rest who weren't assertive enough to state their objections or didn't know about the hazards of too much tv for small children

Fixed that for you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Home truths: the DIY dos and don'ts

A professional renovator gives advice on which jobs you should do yourself, and which you should outsource.

Parenting lessons I?ve yet to learn

Instead of writing about the stuff I do know since becoming a mum, I thought I'd share some of the things I don't. These are the lessons that motherhood hasn't taught me.

Will I be wrecked 'down there' after birth?

Did you worry about how you would look "down there" after giving birth? This mum-to-be found plenty of women willing to share their knowledge.

The new weekend playgroup for working mums

Playgroups are great for kids and parents alike - but the downside is that they often meet during the week, leaving working mums out of the loop.

Letting your toddler be the boss at bedtime

Sick of spending hours trying to get your toddler to sleep? These experts say giving your child more of a say at bedtime might be the answer.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

Consulting 'Dr Google' when you're pregnant

We're all guilty of turning to the internet for a quick answer when we need medical advice, but Dr Google should be approached with caution - especially when you're pregnant.

16 ways to tie a scarf

Scarfs are the perfect winter accessory. Whether you're freezing at soccer training or wanting to add a splash of colour to a monochrome top, the right scarf will sort you out in no time. Just ask Nina Proudman.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

The simple way to support other parents

We may be raising children of different ages and sexes, with different personalities, but we, as parents, aren't that different - we all have similar struggles, fears, doubts, responsibilities.

Seeing the big picture when it comes to parenting

Sometimes it feels like hundreds of tiny cracks are spreading across the surface of our lives, creeping slowly into the foundations and threatening to make them crumble. How do we hold it all together?

How to spot a lactaboobiephobia sufferer

Lactation consultant Meg Nagle refused to stay silent when Facebook removed two photos of her breastfeeding. Instead, she coined a term to describe those who don't recognise breastfeeding for the natural and non-sexual act that it is.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. Others, like these 10 weird habits, crop up again and again.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.