Due in Feb 2013 Chat Thread #5

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
104 replies to this topic

#51 cabbagepatch

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:40 PM

Thanks Lozypops - I was induced at 41+4 and it was a pretty hard and fast labour (6hrs) the best thing I did was read JuJu Sundin's Birth Skills book - there are sections for you partner to read too...

Hopefully this time I can avoid induction and experience full natural labour but if not then I'll settle for another induction because the first was so positive!

I think it was so great because I didn't get stuck on a bed - my hospital had the monitors that are 'wireless' so you can move freely around the birth suite... that and because my DH was amazing!!!  wub.gif

Nattmumm: I didn't do any courses for birth (other than antenatal classes at the hospital) but I did do an ABA breastfeeding class which was fantastic in explaining how all the meds could possibly effect my milk coming in and how well bub would feed after etc... gave me much better motivation for doing it drug free (well as drug free as an induction can be Tounge1.gif )
Hope you don't have chicken pox btw sad.gif my DHs entire family have a natural immunity to it - still freaks me out when he works with primary kids that have it and he never has...

#52 babyinabackpack

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

Morning ladies!
I haven't been in here for a week so lots of reading to catch up on!

Hi to the newbies!!

I can totally sympathise with those who had bad doctors.. My first doctor (the head of OBS at the largest hospital near to us) basically told me I wasn't pregnant because they couldn't see anything on the external ultrasound at 5 weeks, but if i dared move off the couch before the 3 month mark i had noone to blame but myself if I miscarried (the baby that i apparently wasn't carrying anyway!!).. Yeah, I never went back.. I'm booked in at a natural birth centre about an hour away now that is just wonderful.

Re MCN's, Im a first-timer so can't vouch for them yet, but we bought 20 from bountiful bubs, and 10 each from 2 china cheapie shops on ebay. I googled them all and posted questions on a couple of nappy forums online and the general response was that china cheapies were fine, dried quicker and most of the time were better value for money than the $30 a piece ones.. But who knows!?! They are so cute though I can't wait to use them!!

Things are good with me. Our kungfu baby is kicking up a storm as usual although I have the world's smallest bump. I've only put on 1 kg so far, of which 586g is the baby, so pretty much nothing at all.. I was trying sooo hard to eat as much as i can so i was pretty gutted but the doctor assures me it's all fine and bubs is healthy and growing at a good pace.

Is anyone else opting to not find out the gender??

Have a lovely Wednesday!!

#53 Kabe81

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

Hi all!

I've been reading the Feb 2013 DIG posts for a while but I'm a newbie to adding comments original.gif I'm due on 5th Feb, it's our first baby and DH and I are very excited!

I had a hospital appointment yesterday with the anaestheseologist, as I had an operation to correct a curvature of the spine (scoliosis) many years ago, so they wanted to see where the rods are positioned. That was all fine but they're recommending I don't get an epidural as there's an increased risk of infection and also they're not sure if it will work anyway due to existing scar tissue etc. A spinal would be slightly better but also not preferable sad.gif

I was hoping to avoid an epidural anyway but I was open to getting one if need be. Now that I can't have one, I'm a little concerned that I might not cope with the pain! If I need a c/s or I'm not coping, they think they'd probably put me under general anaesthetic for the birth which I'm really hoping to avoid.

As I haven't gone through labour before I really don't know how I'll cope with the pain and just hope I can get by without needing to be knocked out! I know lots of mums who have done it without an epidural by choice but not having it available as a backup is a bit scary as a first-timer. Anyway, I'm going to read up on a few labour books so I feel as prepared as possible. And maybe a Calmbirth class?

Other than that, I'm doing well! I've already put on about 8kgs at 24wks so look much bigger original.gif I've been eating really healthily so I assume it's nothing to worry about. I was slim beforehand and it seems to be all belly. Plus my DH and I were both big babies (he's now 6'5").

I'm enjoying the journey and love reading about all of your experiences as well!

#54 BJBubbles

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:15 AM

Hi Everyone!

Gee, it goes quite, and then gets busy in here!

Well we're back from our little trip up north - had a great week relaxing by the pool, drinking mocktails and celebrating our friends wedding!  I do miss the weather - it was 30 degrees every day!

After hearing some of your experiences with care providers, I love my OB even more! She is (to me) the most wonderful, caring, knowledgeable woman I've met hahaha I paid the first part (4000 of 6500) of her management fee the other week, and would happily pay triple the price for her.

MCN's - I think I'm lazy - they just seem too much hard work for me haha  I'll stick to the good old disposables  :-)

Welcome Kabe! I think most doctors don't worry too much about weight these days, as long as you are eating reasonably well and baby is growing.

How is everyone going with shopping - for big and smaller items?  I've bought a few clothes, and that's it!  Going to drag DH out this weekend to have one final look at prams before I buy one (planning on the Bugaboo Cameleon...) and want to start looking at cots etc now too.  I want a "travel system" for my pram, so thankfully that cuts down the decision to 2 (I think) capsules to pick between!

Hope you are getting through the week OK - thankfully it's Thursday - weekend soon!

xox

#55 ScrambledEggs

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

Hi everyone, will try to catch up on posts as much as possible, just thought I'd introduce myself in here quickly first. I'm Jessica, we are currently 22w 4d so expecting our 3rd bub on 18th of Feb but realistically we don't expect him/her to make an appearance til the beginning of March.

#56 whale-woman

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

BJBubbles -you're having the bub at St Vs Private I think you said..(vague recollection)?? If so I suspect we have the same ob....

Scrambledeggs - Welcome! Why don't you expect the birth till March?

Kabe - welcome! Fingers crossed for a easy natural birth for you. Hopefully none of those anesthetic options are necessary.

Babyinbackpak - my DD1 was a Kung fu baby. Luckily this one is more into Pilates ATM.

Busy weekend planned here. We have to pick up DDs bed frame and set it up and move her cot into the room that will be this bubs. We need to collect our new car. It's DPs birthday and I need to do the cooking for a BBQ lunch for the family. Our house is infested with possums so we need to set up lights in the roofspace - last time we did this they relocated quicksmart. DD has come down with a high temp but is otherwise looking fine so fingers crossed she isn't going to be sick and miserable all weekend.

I hope everyone has a productive and relaxing weekend!

#57 ScrambledEggs

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:02 PM

We're expecting a 42 week ish pregnancy. DS1 was 10 days overdue and induced, DS2 was 11 over and induced. Likelihood is this one will be over too. When I go meet my OB I'm sure we'll discuss it all further.

#58 BJBubbles

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

Welcome scrambledeggs - your name makes me hungry every time I see it :-). I.m due 17th! Geez you have some patience! I don think I'll handle going that far overdue. Ill be doing everything I can to evict this little guy well before the end of Feb!

Whale-woman - yep at St V's :-) I don't think we can mention OB names can we? Her initials are A.M would be funny to see you in hospital!

Hope everyone if having a great weekend! Nice weather here in Melbourne today. dH played golf this morning, and I went shopping for a body pillow. Now curled up on the couch watching "The Rose". Going Pram shopping tomorrow - excited to actually think about these things now!

Xoxo

#59 ScrambledEggs

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:06 PM

I don't mind going over tbh. Pregnancy is in no way friendly to my body but I feel good with a little one inside. I'm going to push this one as close to 42 weeks as possible in hopes of not getting induced.

#60 cabbagepatch

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:42 PM

I'm a bit the same Scrambled Eggs, with my first DD she was evicted at 11 days over - I will be pushing for as close to 2 weeks over as I can to try and avoid an induction - not because the first one was bad... more to prove to myself that my body can do it naturally iykwim...

And I agree, I love having a little person inside - such an awesome feeling original.gif

Kabe: it's a shame your pain relief options are limited sad.gif but in saying that yoga, a calm birth coarse and maybe looking into water injections or a TENS machine would be options?  Also maybe a birthing centre instead of a maternity hospital would be an easier choice to birth (they offer water births and don't have pain meds readily available, so its not really an 'easy' option if that makes sense)...

MCN's: we use MCN's, and they are great - we have tried HEAPS of different brands but used good ol' terry flats and PUL covers from 0-3 months... the MCN's just can't get a good fit around their little legs before they put some chubb on (not really a problem if you have chubby babies tho) also some of them take ages to dry and when you are using 10-12 a day the TF's dry really quickly... If you want any recommendations on brands etc let me know - I've converted quite a few of my friends already Tounge1.gif

Whale Woman: how old is your DD? we want to move our DD to a bed before #2 arrives but not sure how she will go because she still rolls around so much... Hope your Dh had a great birthday!

AFM: we are cruising along here - although morning sickness seems to keep rearing its ugly head sad.gif I'm hoping its just because of the crazy weather and will go away soon!!

BTW, I sent a 'join request' to the FB page but I haven't heard back yet... is it not very busy in there?

Hope everyone had a great weekend! Happy Monday Tounge1.gif

#61 Ringarosy

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:55 AM

Hi all,

Hoping everyone is well.

Cabbagepatch sorry your are having a bit of morning sickness. I had it really bad until 19.5 weeks and I thank god I don't still have if and can finally enjoy the pregnancy.
I would love your advice in MCN. So far I have a few much it's good to hear first hand what the best are.

Bjbubbles and whale woman I am going to StVs too. I have a lady Ob but don't think it's the same. I'm due the 17th too so it would be funny if we are all in the same time.

Kabe81 have your doctors lacked about a plan for the labour so you can be prepared?

Babyinabackpack we are not finding out....so excited for the end to know what is in there!!

So those who have had babies before, has anyone tried a Tens machine? I wonder if they are good?

Afm, feeling pretty good apart from tired by about 5pm, hungry all the time and a stiff lower back. Baby is kicking like made which is nice. We finally bought a few little baby things on the weekend. Some cute pure baby outfits and wraps.
We are busy tiring to organise blinds for some of the rooms in our house so baby can have some darkness while sleeping. We have been in our house almost a year and haven't got any yet. Where we live it's not a big issue but now we have to.
I'm really starting to think about the birth. It's so strange not knowing what to expect. You can plan all you like but you really don't know what it's like until it happens. In 2 weeks I am doing a private calm birth class. Hopefully this will make me feel a little more organised.

I hope everyone is well and enjoying the weather (if you are in Melbourne anyway)

#62 Annah79

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:44 PM

Hi everyone, just a quick hello.
I've just found this group, and the FB one original.gif

I'm Annah, pregnant with our third, and after two lovely boys we're expecting a
girl. I'm still in shock about that...!!!

We live in Melbourne, after moving here from SW London almost a year ago.

Looking forward to chatting to you all more x

#63 Annah79

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:45 PM

Should probably add a few things about myself -

I'm a SAHM, was an English teacher in a former life.
I love crochet, cloth nappies and I'm a breast feeding peer support worker.

Umm.. can't think of much else! I hate pink!

#64 whale-woman

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

BJBubbles - yep the same lady. She stitches well too. I'm very happy with my c/s scar. (what scar?) I do feel sorry for her though, she does work too hard.
If you see a harassed woman with a curly haired 2yo cheeky cherub who is bent on destroying the waiting room that's likely to be me.

Lozypopps- I've got the eviction staged for the 8th so unless you go early I might be out of hospital before you get there.

Cabbagepatch - hats off to you for hanging in there that overdue. Let's hope this one is a bit more punctual.
DD is 3 in Jan. She's in the last few months stopped the rolling/bedspins and will sleep under a doona. She's got a single mattress on the floor and is loving it. No falls out of bed and we've just about got her out of night nappies. On the weekend we might assemble her bed frame and put her mattress up. (we left it last weekend as she was sick) Fingers crossed no problems arise. I wanted a few months between DD moving out of her cot and the bub moving in so DD doesn't feel displaced. Seems to have worked. How old is your LO? You could try the floor mattress in case falling out is an issue.

Annah79 - welcome! Grats on the girl!

Scrambledeggs- wow 42 weeks. I'm desperate to get the bub out ASAP I just feel so much better even the day after a c/s than I do pg.. No way I could do 42 weeks.

AFM DD was sick and chucking on the weekend. I naturally got sick too. I've taken the last couple of days off work and are now much better. I also knackered myself doing a family BBQ and was hobbling around due to the sciatica. Other than that a good time was held by all.

Edited by whale-woman, 24 October 2012 - 05:35 PM.

#65 dueFeb13

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:35 AM

I have officially popped!!!

Over this weekend i am suddenly in possesion of a beautiful little bubba bump!!! I was starting to think it would never happen!!! Now there is no denying I am pregnant and proud!!! I got so excited when the lady at the post office this morning commented!!! Is that sad???

DF got a little kick to the head the other night and thought it was the most amazing thing in the world.... I love that I can now share the experience with him.

Check up with my midwife tonight... cant wait to hear the duff duff of the heart on the doppler again - really makes it all real....

After the last 5 months spent being scared of everything I have decided the fear has been crazy... I have thought about it alot and worked out I am not scared of being pregnant any more - I have been doing this for a while now and think I have the hang of it... the labour - although it is going to hurt - people have done it before and go back for more.... I know the pain will go away afterwards.... It is the after all of that I am scared of most....

When I leave the hospital with my new addition and don't have a manual... That is what is scaring me now - does anyone have any advise on how to overcome this fear? I am a very structured person and I am just scared I wont be able to cope once there is no order to my life!!!

MIL keeps telling me it is ok if I can't manage she will be there but that is like telling me that no, I cant do it but it is ok she can and will - I need to be able to do this myself, besides I am the one that is going to be a mum, she has been there and done that before!!!

Sorry to air my stresses but I needed to get it out... If anyone has any suggestions on how to nicely let my MIL know that although her offer of help is appreciated I might not want it.... It makes me feel bad to think that but it is true....

OK... so my rant is over - how are all of you going?

xx

#66 Natttmumm

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

Hi All
I've popped too  - actually I feel huge. Went to the obyn and he said he didn't think I was big but when he measured he said I was measuring 26 rather than close to 24 or 25. I figured this is not a big deal but hoping the baby is not too big. My others were both just under 3.5 kgs
Anyone else had this?
This week is busy due to dragging kids to appointments and a few pre Xmas catch ups - I think I'm over committed this week.
Glad the warm weather is here in Sydney

#67 Girlintheredshoes

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:19 PM

November already!

I haven't been posting of late but I love reading everyone's updates.
I'm feeling so much better- wonderful counsellor.

Lozypops- saw your thread on weight- I reckon you are on track. I've been using this http://www.baby2see.com/pregnancy_weight_calculator.html

#68 Ringarosy

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:13 AM

Oh Thank you Stanzy!!!!!!!!!! You just put me at ease. I had a massive cry last night ( hormones) as my MIL told me I was putting on a lot of weight...... usually this wouldnt bother me but for some reason it did. Anyway now I can say I am exactly where I should be!!!!!!! Thank you.

I have my Calm Birth Course this weekend. 2 whole days worth!!! Will let you know how it goes.

I havent started xmas shopping, baby shopping and all i want to do is nest.

Hope everyone is doing well.

#69 Mamanuka

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

Hi all,

Haven’t been on for a bit – overseas to see my parents and be their little girl for the last time before I’m a parent myself! All a bit surreal if I think about it too much, but the whole pregnancy is a bit like that LOL.

Cabbagepatch sorry about the MS, my mum had it past 3 months too (sorry Mum) but it cleared up after halfway so hope yours does too.

DueFeb13 – I get what you mean about your MIL, need to feel able to cope ourselves. I’ve felt a bit ranty with my BF trying to ‘prepare’ me by complaining, not that helpful. But I just tell myself that no-one knows what they are doing when they go into this!

Stanzy great link thanks!

Lolypopz would be great to hear how you find the calm birth classes.

As for me, still doing ok, rib pain is gone - I think everything was just getting squashed from too much bending. Now back in Melbourne and already week 24 so trying to get more organised. We just got given a whole lot of size 0000 hand-me-downs, but still need some bigger clothes plus MCNS, cot, capsule, pram. Also trying to make more effort to get ready physically. I’m swimming and just signed up for 10 weeks of pre-natal yoga, which should take me pretty close (eep). Thinking about an epi-no but they’re pricey – does anyone have experience of these??

Hope you’re all feeling good xx

#70 whale-woman

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

Very quiet in here.

I hope everyone is doing well.

I can't believe I've still got 3 more months of this huge belly to go. Getting quite a few kicks that are verging on the painful. I hope bub spins around into a different position and stops the bladder kicks soon....

#71 Natttmumm

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

Hi all
Haven posted for a while as we have been away on our last holiday before baby arrives. I wanted to spend some good time with the girls. I am feeling a bit guilty about feeling tired all the time and not playing games with them.
Whalewoman - I know what you mean about the 3 mths still to go. I'm feeling really big already.
Lolypopz how was the course. We are going to one in about 3 weeks. Was it useful?

It's still feeling a bit unreal that we will be having another bub in a few months.

#72 Girlintheredshoes

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

Lozypops- how was your course?

Natttmumm - how nice to have a holiday!vwhere did u go? I had a couple of daysoff too ( didn't go anywhere tho!) but it was soo nice to relax.

Whalewoman-I hope the painful kicks have eased!

Mamanuka- I do swimming too- I find it relieves all the aches. Enjoy your yoga!

Me- feeling so irritable- pregnancy hormones?? Even silly things from the past I'm thinking about are annoying me grrrr

Edited by Stanzy, 15 November 2012 - 09:17 PM.

#73 Ringarosy

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

Hi Ladies,

Nice to hear some see some action in here.

Stanzy, I would definitely say pregnancy hormones are are doing there thing. Sorry its a hard time. When Im feeling like that I just say "its just the hormones" and sometimes it helps!!

Whalewoman yes its so strange t think that we are only going to get bigger!!!!!! Being my first, its such a shock caring around all this extra weight. Hope the bub moves for you so you are more comfortable.

Mamanuka, wow where did you go? Hope it was nice seeing you folks. WHat MCN are you using?
Regarding the Epi no,  I was thinking about it but after doing the Calm birth course, the midwife/teacher said that some women that use it go too far if you know what I mean, and cause damage. In her experience she said that staying positive and using visualisation has had better results ( from what she has seen)  I dont think I will bother but if you do get one I would be interested to hear your feedback.

Natttmum, I hope your holiday was nice. you shouldn't feel guilty. You are growing another baby...and its hard work. I know it must be hard not being able to do what you used to but dont push yourself.

CALM BIRTH COURSE

It was amazing!!!!!! I strongly recommend it if you or your partner are nervous about the birth and beyond, if your support person is keen to help you through and if you are open minded about what your body/mind is able to do.

The thing that DH and are really liked about it was that the course didnt just follow the 'Perfect' birth structure etc. It went through all scenarios so it wasn't pushing towards all natural and no intervention. Yes, we are hoping for that but it taught you to be open minded and trust that your body can do it and if you need help then seek it..... so be a part or the decision making.
The main thing we took away from the course is that its a team effort with you and your support person, and it gives the support person skills to help you cope though the stages of birth.

You also get these Cds to help you prepare for the birth. I recorded the teacher do a few of her ones during the course on my phone so we have her voice and few different relaxation exercises.....do this if you are attending the course!!!

I hope this helps some of you her weren't sure if Calm Birth was for you or not.

#74 MummyArnold

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

Hi All

I don't post in here very often but its been so quiet lately I thought I might! I've been checking in to the Facebook page most days and it's flat out in there - a little calmer in here which I probably prefer original.gif

26 weeks tomorrow with the little miss - all is going quite well except on the last couple of scans I've had her stomach is 'slightly' more 'prominent' than the doctors are comfortable with - he's thinking that she may have duodenal artresia which I understand is a blockage from the stomach to the intestine and will require surgery when she's born. From what I've read this is usually around Day 2. Pretty sad about this, but he's assured me that once this is fixed there'll be no further problems. If there's even a problem to start with! Wish there was some way they could tell for sure, I'm not the most patient person in the world and waiting and seeing isn't really my style!

Other than that I'm travelling along pretty well - main problem is back pain up between my shoulder blades and my ribs on my right side are still aching when I'm sitting upright - which is all day at my desk! Nothing a wheat bag can't fix though.

Hope everyone else is well original.gif

#75 pheazoid

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:27 AM

MummyArnold I wish you luck with your situation. I have zero patience as a person so I can understand how frustrating it is for you! Pregnancy is all about waiting and waiting but we can only try to draw the positives from it. Cherish the time that you have with your baby inside you despite your situation. Do the days really drag for you?

I have an office job, too, and I'm getting pain in the exact same places as you! I hate that I can't sleep through the whole night. I get leg cramps, really sore legs, headaches, major lethargy. I have no idea how I even rock up to work. I'm 30 weeks this week!

Do any of you ladies know what position your baby is in?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.