Holding #1 after M/c BG #1

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 Freckles

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:48 PM

Hi ladies,

This BG is for those who have chatted in the Pg with #1 after M/c BG. It's great to see that there are ladies now holding their babies in their arms after earlier losses. original.gif

Please let me know if there are any problems. original.gif

Cheers,

Emma

#2 Loulla

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:20 PM

Gold!
Thanks Emma wink.gif Will tell the other girls about this thread x

#3 Jlove14

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

Silver!

My gorgeous little boy entered the world on 16 August 2012- exactly on his due date!  I had a normal vaginal birth with an epidural.  My waters broke on wednesday night at 9pm and the hospital told us to come in, I then spent the rest of the night up until 9am the next morning having irregular but painful contractions, only to be told that i had only dilated 2cm!!  The suggestion from the midwife was to take an oxytocin drip to speed up my labour and that because the contractions would speed up and get very intense very quickly she suggested an epidural.  At this point I was exhausted and just wanted to meet my baby so I agreed.  It was a good choice

However the oxytocin drip was not agreeing with the baby and everytime I had a contraction with the drip his heart rate would drop from 140 to 80 which really freaked me out.  So the drip was turned off and on and through this and my natural contractions and 4 hours later I finally dilated to about 9cm when my ob said he wanted to get the baby out.  The baby was also posterior so I had to turn him with my first push- which I did!  After about 6 pushes or so and vacuum extraction he arrived and it turned out he was quite tangled up with the cord and that is what was causing the heart rate to drop.  

Anyway the labour was one of the most amazing experiences of my life which I will always cherish

Loulla- How are you going with your little boy?  I hope all is as well as it can be?
Are you sleep deprived and are you breast or bottle feeding?  I am breast feeding but it is tough and not as easy as I thought.  At the hospital I was forced to do a top up with formula (peadiatrician recommended it) and that was a bit upsetting.  But I think my milk is coming in properly now so I am hoping for the best and that the next time he gets weighed (on thurs) that he would have put on enough weight.  My little one is fairly settled however we have had a few rough nights where he has had some bad gas.  

Hope all the other lovely ladies who have had their little ones are doing well.

#4 Loulla

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:50 PM

Our Beautiful Babies

dizzy-anne ~ 12th April 2012 ~ Lara Elizabeth
Pincushion ~ 3rd July 2012 ~ Angelina Grace
Lou87 ~ 12th July 2012 ~ Twin Boys (born just shy of 34 weeks)
Loulla ~ 22nd July 2012 ~ Baby Boy

rara12 ~ 29th July 2012 ~ 21st August 2012  hheart.gif Angel Baby Girl hheart.gif (born at 27 weeks)
Liltuss ~ 8th August 2012 ~ Baby Boy
zjb2 ~ 8th August 2012 ~ Baby Girl
Fairey ~ 16th August 2012 ~ Tess Amelia
Jlove ~ 16th August 2012~ Baby Boy

#5 Loulla

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:20 PM

Yay Jlove, so good to see you here! Thanks for sharing your birth story biggrin.gif  Im so glad it went well for you  ddance.gif How great that you dialted naturally without the oxytocin to the end, and had a vaginal birth. Good to hear your milk is coming in now. Yes breast feeding is hard!
Bubby didnt latch on after birth so the midwife hand expressed some colostrum for him to have immediately and then I had to do it during the two days at the postnatal ward while he learned to latch and I learned how to BF. I wasnt allowed to go home until he had latched on! In the end he did but it has taken a few weeks for us to get the hang of breast feeding, Id say about 3 weeks. Even though my milk had come in soon after coming home, it has taken a few weeks for the supply to meet demand. Now I have lots of milk and sometimes he even chokes on it! But the first few weeks he was feeding what felt like constantly. Now his tummy is bigger, my milk is more abundant and hes more efficient at feeding, he doesnt need to be on the boob 24/7. I have lots of milk in the mornings or after having a nap with him in the day.
Yes he also gets gas and cries in pain which is tough, but its mostly in the daytime for some reason and the occasional night. We put him in the cot in the evenings when he's asleep and then when he wakes in the night we cosleep and I just side feed him when he wakes. So I get lots of sleep this way. And I get to cuddle him which is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo nice  wub.gif

When we first brought him home we had no idea really lol, like I didnt realise how often they need to sleep and how you have to make a real effort to help them get to sleep. So he was overtired  and we didnt know. Then the home visit nurse taught us signs of being tired etc and how to settle him.

Now hes 5 weeks its getting a little easier. I took him for my first pram ride just us two today! I had to time it when he's full, has had his nappy changed and is either sleepy or in a play mood. If hes in a play mood, I leave the top part of the pram open for him to look out. Hes just started to interect with toys like shiny rattles - we shake it in front of him and then move it across his face and he follows it with his eyes and head! And he did his first coos yesterday  wub.gif He smells divine and we are so in love it's ridiculous!

#6 Loulla

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:36 PM

I never actually shared my birth story, so here goes...

It was a Saturday and since waking up I had what felt like a constant Braxton Hicks no pain, plus a few cervical twinges. Then late morning I started having irregular small contractions. It was enough for me to stop whatever I was doing and breathe through it. I had them all day irregularly and then all night about every 10mins  ohmy.gif  I dozed in between each contraction. They were pretty intense! I rubbed and pressed my lower back each time because that was where all the pain was. I didnt wake DH because there was nothing he could do and I didnt want him touching me for some reason lol. Plus I wanted him energised for the birth!
I rang the MW the next day and she said that its fine to stay at home because the contractions were still once every 10 mins or so. They became more and more intense over the day to the point where I would just drop to the floor! I felt best with my knees on the ground and my upper body leaning on the lounge or table. Stairs were good too! I had taken about 6 panadol all up since the day before and it helped take the utmost edge off it, but nothing worth noting.
By the afternoon I had had enough and rang the MW explaining that if this is pre-labour then I am not going to survive active labour and I want to come in and get some pain relief like an epidural/ She said I could also take some morphene if needed? So DH packed the car with everything and we drove in. it was really hard because I was sitting upright through each contraction, and speed bumps seemed to bring them on too! We arrived at the hosptial and I had two on my way there one in the lift and one at the entrance to delivery suite. Then then just kept coming one on top of the other and I threw some blankets on the floor and kneeled there, with my arms and head leaning on the bed. I was making some pretty interesting noises by this stage  laughing2.gif
MW on duty checked my cervix and excitedly claimed that I was 7-8cm!!! So it wasnt pre-labour at home, I was in active labour. She made me feel heaps better by being really positive and saying how great it is and that Im almost there and well done etc. I told her it hurts, she she said but its a good pain because your babys coming. She was great. My MW arrived and we discussed pain relief but instead I hopped into the shower on my knees (foam pads) for 3hrs while DH got my juice and water and talked me through the contractions. The contractions slowed down but each one was so intense, I even made noises like a barking dog haha. I was calling out, "I need pain relief!!!!" It was too late for serious pain relief but the MW brought the gas machine to me and this helped HEAPS! It helped me control my breathing and my responses to the contractions. Plus it made me feel dreamy and relaxed. Then I felt a change inside, like a warmth in my cervix, MW checked me and I was fully dialated but the lip of my cervix needed to be moved. She did this and then said I could push! I couldnt believe bubba was coming. I pushed for a little while but each time his head would come down, it would go back up again. I changed positions and then out he came and onto my belly. MW had called the baby Dr because he had done a poo while inside and they checked him over and he was fine. We had this wriggling little squashed thing that we had created suddenly here. It was the most wonderful experience to give birth and to hold our little baby. Our treasure  bbabyflip.gif

#7 Fairey

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:29 PM

Sounds to me, lovely mummies, that you both experienced really positive births also! YAY!
Thankyou both for sharing your stories.

I'm also breastfeeding. Hated it to begin with. Absolutely HATED it. Was very pro formula - DH even went out and bought some. Just-in-case. Tess had problems attaching from the very beginning (I was in hospital an extra two nights just because the lactation consultant wanted to help with b/f before we left). I have to use a nipple shield aswell, so everytime Tess moved in a hurry, it moved the shield, I'd have to re-adjust, Tess would scream and cry and I would start crying too. My nipples were cracking and bleeding and it was horrid.
Then I got a touch of mastitis - feeling flu like symptoms and had a rash. So I was pumping every 2 hours to try to ease it. Then my supply went up the creek and we had to start feeding with formula. Which Tess would throw up every time. This week, I'm back to breast feeding again. I'm more relaxed which is helping. But I wouldn't say I'm at the "I love it" stage yet.
We do lots of side feeds in bed too - I love the cuddling part. BUT - we also feed with bottles of expressed milk and I cuddle her lots doing that too wink.gif

On the positive - she's finally above her birth weight. YAY! However - with my baby blues... I cried because I don't want her to get any bigger or grow up cos she's lovely the way she is. And now she's heavier than she's ever been - sheesh. Can't win!!

#8 Jlove14

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:17 PM

Hi ladies

Hope you are both going well with your bubs.  I am just so amazed and in awe of how I took part in creating such a perfect little human being- still cant believe it is real.  Although some of the sleepless nights can bring me back to reality straigh away! hehe

Loulla- yeah I think I have finally gotten the hang of breastfeeding now and it has been about 3 and a bit weeks.  The pressure from breastfeeding is like nothing else on earth, esp because we as mothers are being relied upon by our little ones to feed them and give them enough nutrition to grow.  I havent tried side feeding- perhaps I'll try it.  Any tips?  And I totally agree with you on the sleeping, it is a real effort and it is up to us to help them get to noddy land!  And nice work only needing the gas in your labour!

Fairey- We have some formula "just in case "as well and we used in really early on when we thought he wasnt getting enough from me and we didnt know any better that this wouldnt help my milk supply.  I didnt really have a problem with the latching, I think it was more my supply because early on he was a very sleepy baby and he didnt feed that often and when he did he would fall asleep a lot.  So was Tess alergic to the formula?  Oh by the way our little ones share the same birth day!  Shall we get them engaged! hehe

AFM I am surviving!  But you can never be prepared for a baby and all the thing that come with it.  All I know is that I am totally in love with him and cant stop looking at him.

My little one has a few ailments though- he has a gunky eye (blocked tear duct), oral thrush and milk spots (baby acne) on his face.  I am treating the gunky eye by keeping it clean and massaging the corner of the eye, the oral thrush the GP picked out and gave me some drops to give to him and the baby acne I looked up and it says to just keep his face clean and it will go away.  Have either of you had any experience with any of these?

How are you both going with their sleeping in the night?  My boy sleeps at 8 then wakes at 11ish and then at 3ish and then at 6ish.  

Hope the other girls join us in here soon xx

#9 Loulla

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

Hi girls,

I hadn't checked in here for a bit, nice to see you've both been here recently!
Fairey I love the name Tess, it's gorgeous. Sorry to hear breastfeeding was so tough and great to hear its settling down now, it really takes time hey. And yes they keep getting heavier the more milk they have!

Jlove I know, it's such a miracle the whole thing! Side feeding is easy once you have upright feeding down pat. I just make sure his mouth is slightly below nipple (horizontally) so his chin is lifted a little to help swallowing. I have his body up against mine. Our bubby has milky spots too they will just go away eventually and normal I think? He also had gunky eyes and I squeezed BM into them a gently wiped with a warm washer and they cleared up after a week or so.

Bubby also caught a cold sad.gif he had a sore throat, fluid behind ears, a cough and lots of mucous. He's getting better now but i felt bad for exposing him to it by maybe taking him out too early. Then I was thinking about eliminating dairy cos I had that allergy when I was little but not sure if it was the cows milk protein or the lactose. If he gets sick again maybe I'll trial eliminating it. Who knows...
He's getting easier now in that I can put him down more on the play mat or in his baby swing ($15 Gumtree!) without him crying for me to hold him all the time so my wrists, arms and back can have a little break in the day! He's smiling and cooing which is soooooo sweet!

#10 little lion

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:37 AM

Hello girls. I loved reading your birth stories and what the early weeks have been like for you. Can't wait to join you in here soon! original.gif

#11 Loulla

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

Can't wait to see you here little lion! Hope this thread picks up after a few more babes have been born. Xx

#12 Fairey

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:50 PM

Hello Lovely Girls!!

OMG... where has the time gone? Once upon a time I would be on EB every... oh, I don't know... hour?? I haven't logged on in so long. I feel so slack. However, in saying that - you girls are obviously the same... we are all so besotted with our darling little bundles that we just don't have the time to come on EB anymore!! Tess is just amazingly beautiful. *CONTENTED SIGH* I did good with her wink.gif

JLove - We most definitely should marry off our little bubbas! How cool that they share a birthday! I can't believe our kidlets are 9 weeks old already. Have you had to do the horrible immunisation thing yet? I cried - poor little muppet. It totally threw her out for the day too. After she'd calmed down, she pretty much spent the next 24 hours sleeping. Barely fed at all.
Also - would love to know your little boy's name - would you mind sharing in a PM?

Loulla - Tess is smiling now too - Oh my god, heart in mouth sorta stuff when she does (Yep... I cried the first time she did that as well!).
Tess had conjunctivitus (sp?) when she was just over a week old. Gunky, scabby eyes. It didn't seem to bother her too much (looked horrible though). We took her to the doctor's and got drops for her. We mixed the drops up with breast milk in her eye, a diluted salt wash and just wiping her face several times a day. It cleared up about three days after we got the drops for her. However, we kept using the drops for a week.

It still blows my mind that she was in my tum for 9 months. How did she fit in there? How the heck did I actually survive labour?! How could I have been happy before her when she really is the light of my life? Motherhood - what a journey.
Do you girls find yourself crying really easily now? My goodness do I cry at the drop of a hat.
Also... do you compare the love you have for your baby with that for your hubby? The way I love Tess is SOOOO different to how I love DH. I kind of feel horrid saying this - BUT - the love I feel for Tess is so much deeper. I would seriously quite happily jump in front of a train for her (okay - I wouldn't be stoked about it - but I'd definitely do it for her).

Breastfeeding... hrmm... So it doesn't hurt anymore (YAY!!!). Still not in the "I love it" boat. I get frustrated by it. I still haven't worked up the courage to do it in public which means outings are still ruled by feed times. Grrr to that (totally selfish, but I don't care). I also personally think my supply is rubbish. I get bugger all when I express.  Originally I was aiming to get to one month. Then it was 1.5, then 2 months. My major goal is to make it to at least 4 months. So my new mini goal is to get to 3 (seems less daunting to make mini goals).

Have you girls joined a new mum's group? Our starts on November 16 - sooo excited by it. Can't wait to finally go to mother's group (it seems just so grown up wink.gif).
Also I'm enrolling Tess in baby swimming lessons so we should start those in the next month or so too. All these fun things.
Can't believe I'm a mummy!

Little Lion - I've been spying on you girls. So excited for you that you're sooooo close to holding your bubba. Word of advice? Get in all the cuddles you can... they are only that little newborn for a short while. So cuddle, cuddle, cuddle.

Love you all xx

#13 little lion

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

Thanks for the advice Fairey! It is interesting to read what you wrote about love. I am sure you are right but I can't quite imagine it yet.

See you girls in here soon! original.gif

#14 Loulla

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:02 PM

Woo hoo little lion is having her baby to tomorrow!!!! So exciting!

Good to hear from you fairey xxx yes bubbas immunization wasn't pleasant and he cried soooo much in the evening I even rang a hotline and they said to give him panadol. He has his 4mth ones coming up in a few weeks sad.gif

Yes I watched One Born Every Minute and every time the baby popped out I bawled!!

It's soooo nice having a baby, it's unimaginable until you hold them in your arms.

Will write more soon
Kisses oxox

#15 Fairey

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:14 PM

I think I was born to be a mummy ~ it's the best!

Tess is having her first swimming lesson tomorrow!! I'm SOOOO excited (she'll probaby cry, then I'll cry, and it'll be beautiful!!)

Will let you know how we go!!

#16 Loulla

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:12 PM

Hahaha Fairey! You're funny. Hope you both have lots of fun at swimming.
Bub has been making the most gorgeous cooing and ga ga noises, like he's really trying to tell me things. It's heart achingly cute. He looks like an angel when he sleeps wub.gif
He's in the top 10% for length so we have a tall boy, no wonder he loves his milk.

Eta missing word

Edited by Loulla, 25 October 2012 - 10:13 PM.

#17 Fairey

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:51 PM

She didn't cry!! (Which means... I didn't cry!!)

Tess was a little fish... sort of. She went under a number of times (what a clever mite!!), but was shivering by the end of the half hour lesson. When we got out her hands and feet were icy cold and went blue (eeK!!). Got her dressed quickly, sped home, hopped in the warm shower with her (she cried at this point), got her dressed with a number of layers and fed her a bottle quick smart (no fuss, no muss... just warm milk into her belly quickly). She then fell asleep straight away.
Despite the blue hands and feet at the end, it went really well. And I think it's a good thing to start now - when she has no fear of the water and going under water (cos she doesn't know any better). Happy swimming days original.gif

(And yes - heart achingly cute with all noises here too wub.gif )

Have you seen "What to Expect When You're Expecting" ??
"I love my kid so much that I'm scared I'm going to eat him"... totally agree with that. Except Tess is a her, not a him.

#18 Loulla

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

Oh Fairey swimming sounds fun! But a little cold? Is the pool heated? We shower with DS (omg first time I've used DS! I feel so grown up) and duck his head under the stream of water every so often original.gif
Haven't seen what to expect when you're expecting, is it good?
Yes I love my bubby so much my heart aches, it's like this scary sweet feeling iykwim. You just don't want anything to happen to them. Ahhhh now we get how the kind of love a mother has for her child is like no other.
Wonder how little lions bub is going
Xxx

#19 little lion

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:06 PM

So it is time to join you girls now, yay! What a long week it has been! Felix has been pretty well behaved but it is a busy time. Check back in with you later. X

PS just noticed my sig is just like loulla's haha!

#20 minidiamond

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:35 PM

Hi ladies
Thought I'd pop in, I only just noticed this thread !!!

Glad to see you all on 'the other side' - and what a wonderful side it is !!  

I just got DS down before 8.30 for the fourth night in a row (Loulla, good news from that other thread) - fingers crossed this will start a pattern.  I moved him from muslin wraps to the wrap me up swaddle (with arms zipped in beside his head), plus I fill up his little belly as much as possible, sometimes comp-ing with formula if he'll take it.  It's worked well the past few nights so fingers crossed.  Prior to that he wouldn't go before about 930.   Loulla, I stuck at the baths/massage/jarmies routine, I hope that's working !

That's my main news right now, besides lots of sweet sweet smiles & even a few giggles.

#21 Loulla

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

Sorry it's been a while! Yay welcome Little Lion and Felix! Great name, love it.
Liltuss yes I've started doing the nightly bath, feed and wrap (exactly the ones you have) and he seems to be getting the cues most of the time. In the day I also swaddle him and pop him in the baby swing - sometimes he falls asleep in there and other times I still have to walk around with him/feed him to sleep but then pop him in there once asleep and it usually KEEPS him asleep which is exciting! Then he is easier to put asleep for the next nap and also at night time. He loves the bath so much and it really relaxes him I find, rather  than stimulate him.
The tricky thing latey has been when he wakes up for his midnight feed he often doesn't settle back down so I bring him into bed with me because all he wants is cuddles. I'm hoping this will pass...
All in all he's an easy bub and we love hanging out together lol original.gif he smells so yummy too!

Edited by Loulla, 07 November 2012 - 10:55 AM.

#22 little lion

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

Wow what a week it has been! We had our midwife visit twice as Felix had moderate jaundice. She really helped us get him better, and he is now over his birth weight. She helped us decide what we wanted to do feeding wise (comp feeding) and has just been a great support. Since we have had our 'plan of attack' in place, I've felt a lot more in control - well as much as any new parent can!

My c section recovery has been pretty easy, I just have to remind myself to take it easy because I feel so good. DH has another week off work, then I will be on my own. He has been amazing! It is so sweet to see him as a dad! Just now he was telling me how much he loves Felix. wub.gif

I've been home from hospital about 12 days and haven't ventured out much yet. It kind of feels like groundhog day, but this arvo we are going out for a drive, am looking forward to that.

#23 Loulla

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

Hey little lion how's Felix's jaundice now? And getting around after c sect with DH back at work?
Guess what our bub had his first pools swims recently at a baby pool play group, he loved it and was fine about his head being dunked under too.
I've been meaning to write more in here
Xoxoxox

#24 little lion

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

Felix's jaundice is now gone, yay! He is gaining weight nicely too and has grown a lot in length. I think he is going through the three week growth spurt, as he has been a bit unsettled. DH gave me time for an extra nap today, which was greatly appreciated. As someone who used to enjoy nine hours a night, five hours (combined) is a huge adjustment! What was your experience like?

Loulla that's cool about the swimming lesson. Does h like the bath too? I'm surprised by how much mine loves the bath. Do you go to any other groups? I am going to look into tgat stuff soon.

Hi fairey and liltuss (and anyone ive forgotten)!

#25 Loulla

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:36 PM

That's great news Little Lion! Yeh I remember when bub was a newborn he fed alllllllllllll the time, constantly! That's good DH helped you get a nap in. I nap with bub in the day sometimes to catch up on sleep.
Yes he loves the bath so much, it's lovely original.gif
I hang out with a mummy group who I meet through the MACH services, it was a parent group for early days in my area. Now we go to baby play group at the pool, coffee etc. It's really nice. I don't have any other groups. My baby loves going out and meeting others. It seems he gets a little bored at home sometimes and needs different environments and stimulation now. So cute  wub.gif

Hi everyone else xxx

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Teaching our son to say no to violence against women

Today, on White Ribbon Day - and every other day - we're teaching our son to say no to violence against women.

Mothers told to breastfeed in 'spacious' toilet

If there is one thing the owners of Tillings Cafe can be certain of, it is that the eatery won't win the award for Britain's best baby-friendly coffee shop any time soon.

Mother gives name to son dumped down drain

A woman who admitted to dumping her newborn baby down a Sydney drain has reportedly been allowed to give him a name.

Taking small steps to reduce stress

Are you feeling used up by life's stress, family problems and a demanding job you can't turn off? Many people are way beyond work-life exhaustion. They are functioning as robots.

Bad news: we're running out of chocolate

The world's biggest chocolate-maker says we're running out of chocolate.

Born at 23 weeks, 'Chopstick Baby' survives first week

A baby who was born at 23 weeks has survived her first week of life outside the womb.

Manic stations: the nesting instinct in pregnancy

It might sound like temporary insanity, but almost obsessive nesting as you near your due date isn’t uncommon – even if you’re not usually a particularly clean person.

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

Love has nothing to do with mental illness. But love may drive a mother to do something about it.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong'

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

Two children who were given to the wrong families at birth will soon learn if they will be returned to their biological parents.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.