Should I be happy of sad about this? *shorts*

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 TeaTimeTreat

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:52 PM

DS school uniform for next year specifies royal blue shorts, they stock them from size 4, which fall down on him, today at bigw I found a pair of royal blue shorts that fit him - size 1!

On the bright side they are $3.00 a pair so I can get five if I want but size one, DS is five years old.

I know he was a micro prem but this is ridiculous.

Would you be happy about getting a bargain and pants that fit or sad your five year old son will be wearing size one pants to school next year  huh.gif .

#2 Milly Molly Mandy

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

My 8 year old in year three still wears the size four shorts I got him for kindy, although I do recall they were pretty big on him then and now look pretty small, but he likes them that way. The other day he put on his brothers size 2 shorts and wondered why I was laughing at him. He's not a midget either!

#3 Autumnal

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

My dd is in year 4 and has only just fit into the school size 6 pants - she is almost 10

#4 yabbadabbadoo

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:58 PM

I always found school shorts to be ridiculously oversized.  I ran the uniform shop at my DS's last school and was selling size 6 sports shorts to Yr 5's and 6's.

#5 Fillyjonk

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:00 PM

Better three sizes down than three sizes up!!

#6 whatnamenow

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:08 PM

DD's nickname is still midget ( although we even shorten that now to midge) due to her FTT until she was about 6.  I tried to look on the brightside and barely had to buy new clothes in different sizes.  But yes it was heartbreaking trying to find a school uniform in a size 2-3.

Maybe try being happy that you could get the uniform in a size one and didnt have to get them handmade?  ( i didnt mean that to come out condescending and nasty) Or being happy you are buying a school uniform when i'm guessing at one point that might have been told he wouldnt make it here.

But then i am always trying to see the bright side so I say just be happy and hug him extra tight today.

#7 Molondy

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:09 PM

My boy is just four and is still wearing shorts I bought him when he was 1 (size 1). He wasn't premmie either!

#8 hiccamups

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:17 PM

Oh bless, OP, I can feel your pain.  One thing to remember though, that his journey has been a positive on, where he is now a healthy little boy.  Small is but one little blip in the overall picture of a happy life.

The sheer fact that your micro premmie is here with you today, speaks volumes of how fortunate and blessed you are.  So you can tuck that Mummy guilt/sadness down into your shorts and be reassured that it's really a positive thing.

Sorry, not taking away your feelings, but this is how I would see it.

Our DS was FTT and not on the chart at 1yo.  Whilst not the same, his was caused by malnutrition caused by an allergy condition.  I felt those pangs too and we spent a hard few years following that.  But now at almost 6 he's back on the chart, around the 15th or so, and a picture of health.  He was in size 1 for many years and it actually caught me by surprise when I had to start buying clothes for him again.  It's taken me a while to deal with that.

We come in all different sized packages.

#9 *Lib*

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:18 PM

My DD has the opposite probelm. For things to fit over her butt and tummy they need to be larger sizes (she is 7 but wears a 10 pants) but jeans are the one thing I can't get to fit her sad.gif

#10 skylark

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:18 PM

School shorts are crazy big. My average sized six year old son (according to charts he is just a smidge below average for height and weight) wears size 2 navy shorts from Big W to school as the navy school shorts in size 4 won't even stay up with the drawstring pulled all the way!  I think they make them large so that you will get many years wear out of them.

Edited by skylark, 11 August 2012 - 03:21 PM.

#11 barrington

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

My preppie, who was over 4 kgs at birth, is still in size 2 school shorts and shirts.  They are massive on her.

#12 Mpjp is feral

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:27 PM

When DS was 2 he was wearing the track suit pants that his sister wore in grade 1!!! And not bc he is big (he was a prem and has always been thin) but bc she is TINY!!

I'd be happy that a) I found something to fit him as opposed to having to take in a larger pair of shorts and b) that I'd snagged a bargain!

#13 hiccamups

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:29 PM

School shorts are crazy big. My average sized six year old son (according to charts he is just a smidge below average for height and weight) wears size 2 navy shorts from Big W to school as the navy school shorts in size 4 won't even stay up with the drawstring pulled all the way! I think they make them large so that you will get many years wear out of them.

OOh, that's worth noting OP.  Could just be the case for your little man too.

#14 FeralMinx

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:34 PM

Be happy with the bargain.  My youngest is a tiny kid and can still wear size 2 shorts aged 6.  Also dont forget a lot of size 1 and 2 are designed to fit over a nappy so its waist has quite a bit of give in it.

#15 insomniac

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:39 PM

I bought DS size 4 school shorts for Kindy this year (just turned 4) and they fall down on him. Ended up having to buy size 1 shorts from Kmart that would fit him around the waist and stay up. He is not small either, average weight and above average height.

#16 Mamabug

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

Hearin' you!
When my lad started school this year I was very excited when I found size 2 shorts for him at Big W.

#17 mez70

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

You do know Sparkler that because you have sourced and found the "shorts that fit" in the true tradition the world over he will have a growth spurt between now and then leaving said shorts too small and yet at the same time be too small for the regular ones...

As a mum of a premmie I would be stoked he was starting school at 5, that he was well enough to go etc, finding the clothes to fit is an added bonus... I still remember a shopping trip I had.. my DD seemed to have a massive growth spurt over a couple of months and literally jumped a size.. all I knew was that her size 1's were fitting (although a tad short) then next thing I knew I had to buy a whole wardrobe of size 3's I said to her EI providers what happened to size 2 as they all noticed as well so if they ahve the next couple of sizes up grab them as well

#18 ubermum

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:55 PM

Don't forget size 1 shorts are designed to fit kids wearing a great big nappy. If you have a slim 4yo, it's no wonder they fit. I buy size 2 boys shorts for my daughter when she was 5yo. They were the only ones I could find that offered decent sun protection, fit, and didn't look like they were for boys.

#19 MummyIHK

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:21 PM

When my niece was 3 I bought her a size 3 dress, she ended up sharing the dress with her 7 & a 1/2yo sister (who was born at 40+10)biggrin.gif My mum always taught me that good things come in small packages.

#20 TeaTimeTreat

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:24 PM

You are right I am very lucky that he can go to school (mainstream) and at 5yrs 8m (what he will be in Jan) I remember when all I wanted was for him to be able to live at home instead of at the hospital.

The funny thing is that these size one pants are longer than the size two navy ones he wears to gymnastics.

Luckily he has a normal size head (due to head sparing IUGR) so the royal blue generic school hats fit!

The scary thing is the school shirts go from a size four (which will probably come down to his knees LOL) to a size 22  ohmy.gif , that means there are twelve years olds bigger than me.

I am short but still...

#21 JRA

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:26 PM

I would be horrified if a twelve year old is a size 22.

#22 Yetski

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

My son is 8 and wears the size 4 uniform.

#23 liveworkplay

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:38 PM

I would be horrified if a twelve year old is a size 22.

Me too. Our uniform goes up to am adult size 16 and I thought that was bad enough (k-6 school) OP, I would be happy. I have the opposite problem. My girls are very tall and at 6 and 8 and both in a size 10 uniform, up to a size 12 regular clothes.

#24 TeaTimeTreat

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE (PNDhell @ 11/08/2012, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My son is 8 and wears the size 4 uniform.

It sound like school uniforms are universally very large sized, maybe we should petition for normal sized ones  tongue.gif .

It does make it difficult for parents of petite children or children of Asian descent (the only children at DS kindy who are the same size as him are the little chinese girls  wub.gif ).

JRA I was shocked by how large the sizes are, polos to size 22 and shorts up to size 16 for a primary school...

Edited by sparkler, 11 August 2012 - 04:40 PM.

#25 Coffeegirl

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:46 PM

DS(8) was full term but his best mate was a preemie.   His mate is 11 mths older, but almost 25 cm shorter.   We passed along some footie boots that DS grew out of within a month of buying And his mate is still wearing them 2 seasons later!   His Mum frets that he is so small, but says it is easier to buy clothes for him because he doesn't grow as quickly.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recall: Another cot deemed unsafe

Parents are being warned to check their baby's cot is not one of those which have been recalled in recent weeks due to safety concerns.

The truth about breastfeeding and weightloss

Celebrities often state that their post-baby weight loss is down to breastfeeding, and breastfeeding alone. But that's not the reality for all women.

10 weird things little kids do

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. It's usually nothing to worry about, but every now and again you might find yourself scratching your head and asking, ?Really? Is that really a thing??

The app that helps detect signs of autism

Parents can assess their children's progress at critical developmental stages, thanks to this new app.

Long battle to learn the truth about Ariana's birth

Cerise and Tim Lawn spent two years fighting to find out how a healthy pregnancy turned into a nightmare birth, and why their daughter now suffers from disabilities she shouldn't have.

Christina Aguilera announces daughter's name

Christina Aguilera and her fiance, Matt Rutler, have welcomed their daughter into the world.

Couple caught in surrogacy crackdown

An Australian couple caught up in Thailand's surrogacy crackdown have said many parents are distraught and facing dire financial difficulties as are they are unable to bring their surrogate-born babies home.

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

5 co-sleeping myths busted

In case you are co-sleeping with your baby, and all the ?helpful? advice from others is sending you down the slippery slope of self-doubt, let?s bust a few myths on the topic.

When pregnancy takes you down memory lane

One mum-to-be discovers pregnancy hormones can give rise to some surprising emotions.

What?s your love language?

The secret to making your partner feel special is to know which language of love they favour ? and it?s the same for your kids, too.

Returning to exercise after a caesarean

I had my daughter four months ago via caesarean, and I want to get back into exercise. What are some good first steps I can take?

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

Whether they're out of favour traditional names, or the parents were a little creative, here are the least popular names of 2013.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.