sore nipples
breastfeeding 5 month old DS

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Feral Joules

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:12 PM

I exclusively breastfeed my 5mth old DS, after the first 8 weeks breastfeeding has been straight forward and painless.  Then two weeks ago I noticed that my nipples were tender after feeding, I've tried different positions, but it got worse, and I now find breast feeding painful, right from when he latches on.

I've looked in his mouth and can't see any signs of thrush, but what else could be causing this?

I'm not sure if it is related or not, but this has coincided with DS being really unsettled overnight, he has gone back to feeding every 1 -2 hours, and I'm now co-sleeping just so that I can get some sleep.

Any suggestions would be great, TIA original.gif

#2 lucky 2

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:19 PM

Any changes in your diet or medication?
? related to increase in feeding, ? teething and saliva.
Do you have a LC/Clinic you can call and chat, or the ABA?
When I read the title I thought "pregnancy" but ???
I hope someone else has some ideas and you get some relief soon.
Burning and stinging pain is often thought to be ? thrush, is it a pain like that or different?
All the best.

#3 sahm3

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:24 PM

Is it actually internal 'nipple' pain, or external on the actual nipple?

It could be signs of mastitis if internal 'shooting' type pain. Or bub could be biting slightly whilst feeding or sucking harder, which can cause a bit of discomfort. This can cause internal pain/tenderness. If so, check for lumps in your breasts. If you find any, then massage them, as you could have a blocked duct and this could be causing the pain. Do you have any other symptoms of mastitis (fever/chills, underarm pain, a red rash or sore area on your breast?).

If it's outside, on the actual nipple, does the nipple look like it's cracked or sore? Sometimes bub can suck harder and cause a blister on the actual nipple, or nipples can get cracked and sore. If so, try using LANSINOH on them.

Sorry I may not be of any help.

Sometimes I had pain at times, but it just sorted itself out.

Hope it gets better soon.

#4 sahm3

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:28 PM

After re-reading your post, it seems to me like it could be that your baby is just sucking harder and therefore causing you discomfort.
Sometimes (from my own personal experience) this can be because your baby is extra hungry and you need to get your breasts to make more milk.
Try feeding more often to stimulate your milk supply and letting bub feed for longer.

I know at times my milk supply must of lessened and this made bubs more hungry, and therefore suck harder and caused me discomfort. I had to up my feeds per day and increase my milk supply by either taking medication prescribed by the GP and also Breast Pump a bit of milk to keep up my supply.

Goodluck.

#5 Feral Joules

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:49 PM

The pain is external, and ends of my nipples look irritated, DS is teething, and now that I think of it does seem to have been comfort feeding a lot, (today has only slept while feeding and woke up as soon as I removed my nipple, which I did very carefully).

Guess I'll just have to wait for this stage to pass... unsure.gif

#6 stardust81

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:51 PM

I am experiencing nipple pain at the moment too. Mine is due to DS using me as a dummy throughout the night and like your son he has been waking every hour or two overnight so it is just too much for them. I find when he wants to comfort suck rather than just an increase in feeds, that is when I seem to experience pain during the feeds.

#7 CharliMarley

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:16 PM

There are these great little compresses which you can buy at the chemist and attach them to your nipples. I am just trying to think of the name of them, but whatever they have in them. you don't have to wipe away before feeding your baby. They will heal you nipples really well and I think you can buy them online as well. I will have to come back when I think of the name of them, but someone else may know what I am talking about. Just thought of the name - Multi-mum compresses and they are fantastic.

#8 Feral Joules

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:28 PM

Thanks Winterdanceparty, I'll look for them original.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to tell if your child has a speech or language problem

Left untreated, children who start school with speech and language difficulties face an increased risk of reading and writing difficulties, more bullying, poorer peer relationships and less enjoyment of school. So, what should parents expect of children at different ages?

Finding your tribe as a new mum

How was my renegade mother's group different from my first? They were my kind of people. My tribe.

Following your child's emotional roadmap

Psychologist Angharad Candlin will guide parents through their child's emotional development during her seminar at the Essential Baby and Toddler Show in Sydney this weekend.

Delivery room surprises: when gender predictions are wrong

Out of all the questions asked of mums-to-be, “Do you know what you're having?” would be right up there in popularity. Sometimes,

The fertility battle we don't talk about

“You’re nowhere near menopausal,” my doctor cheerily informed me, and my heart sank. I don’t want to live with worry about pregnancy anymore.

'My morning sickness was so bad I'm not having any more kids'

“All the horrible stuff was totally worth it to have my son. But there is absolutely no way I could go through it all again.”

The 'no children' wedding invite

It was the wedding of one of my oldest and dearest friends, and she had invited me to be her bridesmaid. It was quite an honour. But there was one problem.

Baby Dylan recovering well after spending five days alone

For up to five days he lay alone after his mother died of a suspected drug overdose, but eight-month-old Dylan Micallef has made an incredible recovery.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

The mystery of William Tyrell, little boy lost

The question remains: How does a little boy simply vanish without a trace?

Woman fights off robber, then gives birth

A thief in the US got more than he bargained for when he try to rob a woman who was nine months pregnant because he figured she would be an easy target.

Video: Two-year-old tells mum off for laughing at her

This little girl is not happy that her mum started laughing during her performance - so she tells her exactly how she feels about it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Does this baby say 'I love you'?

She's only 10 weeks old, but this baby is already dividing people around the world.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

My Wellbeing

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.