How strict are you in the foods you eat?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Liah

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:54 AM

There are so many rules out there about what you "can" and "can't" eat while pregnant, and for someone new to this, it's quite overwhelming.

Some things are easy such as making sure meat is cooked properly, don't eat raw eggs and avoid soft cheeses.  But I'm the sort of person who quite happily eats 2 week old leftovers and doesn't really pay attention to use by dates - I have a problem with throwing food out, and having to start now, I'm finding it really difficult to behave myself and to pay attention to how long foods been sitting in the fridge, etc.

So how strict is everyone with food?

#2 BJBubbles

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:49 AM

It does feel like it's gotten a little ridiculous, doesn't it?!?!? But then, we have all this research, so we would be silly to totally ignore it too! I'm trying to be sensible, but not over the top.

I'll eat leftovers, as long as they are heated right through (steaming) and only the day after I've originally cooked them. Won't eat left overs from a restaurant etc. And will make sure they go in the fridge ASAP.

I'll eat ham, salami etc on a toasted sandwich or pizza. Same with soft cheeses.

I don't eat much seafood, and like my meat cooked medium-well anyway so it's not too much of a change for me.

But, I've always been a bit particular about left overs etc. Would only ever leave meat in the fridge for 3 days....

So you don't worry, maybe try putting a date on things when you put them in the fridge - a big piece of masking tape with the date it needs to be eaten by/thrown out? When I put things in the freezer, I put a date on it so I know when it's been in there too long, and when getting meat out, I'll get the "oldest" one.

HTH

xox

#3 ~~~

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:26 AM

I believe that soft cheeses are ok to eat if they are made in Aust from pasteurised milk....

#4 Babushka Doll

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:59 AM

When I had my DD Ham was still on the OK list, fast forward 3 years and its a no no.    Imagine all the women who have eaten ham in the Eon's prior with no problems.....  

I think it is all at bit OTT - my OB called it Listeria Hysteria when i asked him once, he said the best advice he can give me is to use my own common scence.   If something doesn't feel/smell/look right don't do it - no matter how tempting!

I felt like ham yesterday,  so I just made a jaffle with Ham, cheese and tomato - so If im able to eat what I feel like without causing undue niggling worries I will.

#5 Liah

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:27 PM

Putting a date on things is a good idea...I hadn't even thought of that rolleyes.gif  I've started keeping leftovers in the freezer as well, instead of the fridge so they keep a bit better.

"Lysteria Hysteria" = brilliant!

I have been erring on the side of caution for everything - if I'm not sure, then I just won't have it.  It's so difficult when you're out with people who don't know though...I guess time will fix that up though lol.

After this pregnancy, I'm going to appreciate the little things so much more...like mayo!!  Sandwiches just aren't the same without it sad.gif

#6 (feral)epg

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:40 PM

My theory with soft cheeses is that if it's made from pasteurised milk (all Australian cheese is) and kept refrigerated it's fine.  Not as tasty as when eaten at room temperature and a few days past the use by date, but almost definitely safe.
Imported cheese I think also has to be pasteurised (to the absolute disgust of my French friends) but I'm not so confident about it, or the storage.

Where it gets really difficult is eating out - so often it seems like the healthy option is on the forbidden list - especially salads, leaner (and hence cooked for less) fish and meat, whereas all the deep fried, heavy dishes are all 'safe'.  For instance I ordered salmon last week - and the centre wasn't fully cooked, so would it have been better to get a massive steak in a fatty sauce with chips???

When I spoke to my midwife about it she said they really don't see Listeria, but as it's a risk you can completely eliminate you might as well try.  

On the other hand still couldn't even contemplate the thought of a glass of wine - not sure if it's a psychosomatic thing but I'm finding it about as appetising as vinegar.

#7 PeanutButterTurtle

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:01 PM

I'm really just using the common sense approach - if it looks dodgy, don't go there. The only thing I absolutely cannot give up is a medium steak! Especially seeing as we eat quite a bit of kangaroo - if it's cooked more than medium, it's like chewing leather! I'm a bit anal with leftovers at the best of times - use by the next day if in the fridge straight from cooking, and within two weeks if in the freezer and always label containers with the date cooked, so not a huge drama there. I don't drink, so not a problem, and rarely drink soft drink. That being said, I absolutely had to have a pepsi the other day, so I did. Eh.

Liah - I still eat mayo, I was under the impression that anything long-life (ie non-refrigerated supermarket shelf stuff) had to be cooked/processed, so the egg isn't a problem?

EPG, I'd heard the same about soft cheeses, but I've had lots of other people tell me otherwise. I think you're spot on with eating out too. I'd rather have a lamb salad than a deep fried schnitty and chips!

#8 whale-woman

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:37 PM

When I have bad MS I don't have to be strict. The idea of leftovers even turns my stomach. I can't touch alcohol. Dips pates etc turn me off. That said I have wolfed down a few things on the forbidden list like quiche with feta from the deli without even thinking about it. No guilt about it either.

I'm definitely more relaxed with this pg than with the 1st. I'll definitely be having an occasional wine. I don't really have an issue with leftovers that are a day old or so. I will be staying away from soft serve ice cream which is actually a listeria risk (the rest is way over hyped IMO)

#9 Liah

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:45 PM

Midstudentcatie - you're right, there is no egg in store bought mayo, but apparently it's something to do with bacteria that grows in it after its been opened - freshly opened its fine, but after that it should be avoided, like any leftovers, pregnancy gives it a much shorter use by date. Same with sour cream. Like anything though, I'm not sure how important it is that this is followed.
Have been craving choc milk all week lol! (not that I'm complaining, never too old to enjoy chic milk  wink.gif )

#10 Natttmumm

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:13 AM

I try to stick to the guidelines and if in doubt then I don't eat it. I avoid deli food, bought salads unless I can wash them first, undercooked eggs, under cooked meat, soft cheese. Most other things I would eat

I try to stick to the guidelines and if in doubt then I don't eat it. I avoid deli food, bought salads unless I can wash them first, undercooked eggs, under cooked meat, soft cheese. Most other things I would eat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.