3 Ways to Keep Your Kids Entertained and Your Stress Levels Low on Holiday
1. Pack a Game Bag
The solution to your problems starts with your packing. Children are naturally active and inquisitive and will certainly get bored easily, but when they have something that occupies their hands they stay entertained for longer. Pack the game bag and establish a rule that the bag will not be opened until 30 minutes into the journey. You want them to be settled and also need to extend the occupation for as long into the journey as possible.
* Pack items such as crayons and coloring books for younger children. To help avoid children spilling crayons and a screaming child who wants to go after them, pack them in a plastic container instead of taking the box. The container or something like a Ziploc bag will be easier to handle for little hands.
* Books with flaps and sensory books are also excellent pieces to take along. They will keep the child occupied as they try to master opening and closing them.
* For kids who can write, you could pack paper and pencil for them to write on. They can occupy their time for a bit making a list of the cool things they want to do when they get to their destination. Whatever writing activity you give should be engaging, so they have something that causes them to think.
* Magnetic drawing boards such as the Magna Doodle as well as a glow board will also keep children occupied for some time. The Magna Doodle leaves no mess as you use the pen to draw and then wipe it clean. The child can draw pictures then use the accompanying shapes to make the picture more interesting. A glow board comes with its own special crayons of varying vibrant colors that children love. These pieces should keep the child occupied for some time as well.
2. On the Road Trip
* If you hire a car you'd want to hire one that carries a screen so the kids can watch cartoons and movie. Kids love these things and rarely ever pass up on them.
* For older kids, electronic games are always a hit. They get so engrossed that they may end up asking you to get out of their hair.
* There is a game called license plate lingo that the entire family can join in. This is where the family tests their imagination by trying to come up with meanings for the letters on the license plates they see. 1132 DR could be 1132 Dead Rats and so on.
All the games and items mentioned here could serve to entertain a child on the way to the holiday destination and back. To be frank, they could even be used at the destination if things get boring. There is simply no need for you stress yourself with the kids when you have games around.
Elizabeth Bailey is mom and an avid traveler. She enjoys exploring ways to improve her family travelling experience and likes sharing her tips to other travelling moms. Visit Expedia Australia for information on hiring cars while on holiday.