Having a child is almost certainly the biggest responsibility you will face. They turn your life (and house!) upside down and all of a sudden you have a small life whose existence depends on you. A baby right through to adulthood will demand attention, love, education, encouragement, nurturing, shelter and lots more.
However it's not all take take take from the baby's perspective. A baby can give you warmth, love, happiness and a sense of accomplishment beyond your expectations.
Having a baby is an important decision and worth preparing for, so talk to your partner about the points below. Some important things to consider when you're 'thinking about trying to conceive' (we even have a forum for those 'TTTC') are:
- Are you both you and your partner equally committed to parenthood?
- Are their religious or cultural differences between you and your partner, and how will they affect your child?
- How will you handle work and childcare responsibilities?
- Are you ready to sacrifice things like sleeping in?
- Have you thought about the lifestyle change a baby will bring?
- Have you thought about how a baby will change your relationship with your partner, and those around you?
It is very difficult to feel "completely" ready to have a baby, but you might surprise yourself how much you can adjust to impending motherhood in nine months.
They turn your life (and house!) upside down and all of a sudden you have a small life whose existence depends on you.