Mum shares warning about baby-wearing after kitchen explosion

Molly Landis after and before the accident.
Molly Landis after and before the accident.  Photo: Facebook

Baby wearing may be a practical way to multitask, but a mum has warned others to be mindful of when they're doing it after an accident in her home.   

Taking to Facebook to warn others, Molly Landis wrote: "I don't normally post this kind of stuff or personal information but after sharing this story with close friends I am urged to share this story.

"On Tuesday I was involved in an accident where my stove burner exploded and sent a fire ball to my face, neck and chest.

"This caused open wounds and burns to my face and chest. Yes, this is horrible and painful but I haven't been able to stop thinking about how lucky I truly am."

Although her baby daughter wasn't in her carrier when the accident took place, Landis notes that it was a very lucky escape.

"On this particular night a guardian angel was watching over me and my baby [because] for the first time in her life she fell asleep in her swing and I wasn't wearing her while I was in the kitchen," she explains.

"The worst of my burns is to my chest – exactly where her precious little head would have been laying if she were in her carrier.

"The point of my message is to pleaseeeee be cautious of the activities we do while wearing our babies."

Advertisement

She also notes that many mums use a sling or baby carrier to multitask and that many women have told her that they cook with the baby. "We never think it could happen to us and I never thought it would happen to me. So grateful she wasn't near the explosion," she says.

Since sharing the warning, along with a photo of her burns, Landis' post has had more than 18,000 shares and 12,000 likes and reactions.

Although some commenters have criticised the mum for baby wearing in the kitchen, others have admitted that they often do the same.

"Thank you for sharing your story. Currently I am due with my third child ... and like so many of us busy moms, I too wear my child on a carrieras I cook," wrote one mum.

"This easily could have been me. I will definitely put him in swing as I cook in the future. Please heal faster knowing your story is helping others."