Terrifying baby monitor video shows how easily an infant can suffocate in a cot

Photo: TikTok
Photo: TikTok Photo: TikTok

Many new parents have spent sleepless nights constantly checking on a baby when they first transition to a cot. 

And now, a video doing the rounds on TikTok is showing people just how easily and quickly a baby could suffocate if their sleep space is not set up correctly.

The clip, shared by Safesleepabc, shows an infant in a cot, with the video recording the moment the baby pulls the blanket over its head and start to struggle with it, unable to remove it.

Text on the video reads, "do not leave ANYTHING in your baby's sleep space," adding that thankfully in this circumstance, the parents got to the baby in time.

"But not every baby is as lucky," the caption on the clip reminded viewers. "Google ABCs of Safe Sleep."

@safesleepabc

This baby was saved in time. But not every baby is as lucky. Google ABCs of Safe Sleep. ##sids ##sidsawareness ##pregnant ##babysleep ##itsbabytime ##safety

♬ Lullabies - Yuna

Thousands of viewers commented on the clip, many expressing horror how quickly it can happen.

"This is so scary," one user commented.

'Thank god the parents got there in time," agreed another.

Advertisement

According to Red Nose Australia, a safe sleeping environment means that all potential dangers have been removed and the baby is sleeping in a safe place. 

"The ideal place for a baby to sleep is in a safe cot, on a safe mattress, with safe bedding in a safe sleeping place, both night and day."

Unsafe sleeping conditions include leaving baby by itself on an adult bed or bunk bed, placing baby on a waterbed, beanbag, couch, pillow or cushion, or with a sleeping adult or child on a couch, or chair.

They recommend babies sleep in an 'infant sleeping bag', with a fitted neck and armholes and no hood to minimise the risk of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) related deaths.

For more information, head to rednose.org.au