'Please be careful': mum's plea after daughter choked on toy stuffing

Facebook: Kath Milroy Pattingale
Facebook: Kath Milroy Pattingale 

A mum has shared the alarming experience of her baby daughter choking on the stuffing of a toy, in the hopes of saving others.

Kath Milroy Pattingale wrote on her Facebook page about her 7-month-old daughter Maddison choking on the stuffing of a Lamaze doll.

"The stitching on the back had come undone and the crinkly noise it makes it because it's stuffed with cellophane which she'd ripped and got stuck in her throat (she doesn't have any teeth yet)," wrote Kath.

"We've got a lot of these Lamaze toys and they've been the kind of toys that I've trusted to leave with the girls in the car seat, pram, play mat, etc and to be honest I'd never thought twice about the safety of them."

Kath said that Madison was able to be helped immediately because she was right next to her parents when the choking incident occurred. She asked for her story to be shared, and for others to be aware of the dangers of any toys that have started to fall apart.

"Please please please check the stitching on yours," she said. "I wasn't sure whether to post anything about this, but I'd never forgive myself if I heard of another baby choking on these toys and I'd kept quiet.

"I've contacted Lamaze twice and they've not even given me the courtesy of a reply."