Mum's warning about Owlet monitor after baby receives burn

A mum has warned about the dangers of a popular baby monitor after her daughter was injured.
A mum has warned about the dangers of a popular baby monitor after her daughter was injured. Photo: Instagram/Owlet

A mum has taken to Facebook to warn parents of the dangers of a popular baby monitor after her daughter sustained a burn to her foot.

"I have never been so mad and sick to my stomach," wrote Whitney Dame of her experience with the Owlet baby monitor. "Lauren cried all last night, like screamed. I thought she was having a tummy ache. Come to find out her monitor was burning her foot.

"The company will hear from me tomorrow and reimburse me for damages," continued an irate Ms Dame, adding that she was seeking medical attention for her daughter's burn.

Owlet is a sock-like device that monitors the baby's heart rate and oxygen levels, sending information back to an app on the parent's smartphone. Touted as "the future of parenting", it's designed to provide reassurance to worried new mums and dads.
Parents are alerted to any problems via an alarm, and can also view their baby's heart rate and oxygen levels in real-time.
 
 

A post shared by Owlet Baby Care (@owletcare) on

 
Owlet's website notes that while burns from using the monitor are "very unlikely", some users do observe "red marks" on their infants.
"The Owlet Team has carefully designed the Smart Sock to be as safe and comfortable as possible," the site reads, noting that red marks, while "not a common occurrence", do occur in a small number of babies.
Advertisement
Image/Owlet
"Just like a baby shoe that is too tight or too small, it can be uncomfortable for your child and leave marks," the site reads. "Our research, including collaborating with top-rated dermatologists and pediatricians, has shown that these red marks are not burns due to heat or electrical contact with your baby's skin, or a product malfunction, but instead are pressure or friction marks."
Pressure marks, they explain, are generally associated with "over tightening of the newborn size 1 sock," while blisters, which Owlet claims are also "uncommon", can be caused by babies wearing socks that are a size too small, as well as "incorrect placement".
The site fails to suggest parents seek medical advice if blisters or marks are sighted on their bubs. Instead, consumers are encouraged to "give the foot rest ... use the next sock size ... use a regular sock over the smart sock", and to switch feet (in newborns only).
Ms Dame's post has since been shared over 10,000 times, with parents leaving mixed reviews of the product in the comments.
Some have credited Owlet with saving their little one's life:
While others shared that their children had sustained similar injuries:
You can find more information about the device, including tips on safe usage here.