These delicious nuggets make great finger food and can be served with dips, diced vegies or just about anything you fancy. The use of the bread soaked in milk lightens the end result, making them particularly pleasing to babies who don’t always seem to enjoy the texture or taste of meat. Being baked, not fried, they are much healthier than commercially prepared options.
For older children you can replace the bread and milk with another 100g of chicken.
Age: fifth month of eating, plus
Suitable for freezing
Makes: 24 nuggets
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
• 100g chicken mince or tenderloins
• 1 rasher bacon (optional)
• ½ onion, finely diced
• 1 small garlic clove, minced
• ½ cup zucchini, roughly chopped
• 1 slice brown or multigrain bread
• 30ml full cream milk
• ¼ cup grated tasty cheese
• 1 egg
• 2 tsp cornflour
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
2. Dice bread, crusts and all, and soak in milk.
3. Combine chicken, bacon, onion, garlic and zucchini in a food processor and whiz for 10 secs, scraping down bowl and repeating if necessary.
4. Add soaked bread, cheese, egg and cornflour and whiz for another 20 secs until well combined.
5. Dollop teaspoonfuls of mixture onto a lined tray and oven bake for 10-15 minutes, until starting to turn golden brown.
6. Serve as f inger food with your choice of vegies and accompaniments.
Remaining nuggets can be frozen and thawed at your convenience.
Read author Emily Dupuche's story and see more of her recipes from Food Babies Love, out now.