Baby carriers enable parents and carers to continue their day-to-day tasks while holding bub close and helping them to sleep.
This is the first time we've included carriers in the Awards, but after last year, when parents voted for them as a 'must-have' time and time again, we knew they'd have to be included as an official category.
So here, after tabulating all the votes, are the most popular and highly recommended baby carriers.
Above and beyond all others is the ErgoBaby. A favourite within this brand was the new 360, a four-position carrier that allows parents to carry positions from birth to toddler.
Another top choice was the Ergobaby Original, as voters enjoy using the soft, structured carrier that comes in a range of colours. (Read more about ErgoBaby carriers.)
Read what some of our members have said about ErgoBaby carriers:
- I am over 6 feet and of larger build, I found other ones to short for my torso. This is comfortable for both baby and parent. Simon H. NSW
- easy to put on and use, lots of room to adjust, little man loves being in it and gives me 2 hands free to do housework or other tasks. Alicia C. WA
- Great for beginners, very easy to use correctly. 4 positions available and can be used from new born to toddler! Great value. Laurie C. VIC
- The carrier is comfortable to wear with excellent weight distribution and lower back support. Has an insert and booster for infants to help support them as well as a hood to shelter them from the sun or cover them as they sleep. good stoage for odds & ends. Dirk B. VIC
Many of our readers voted for the BabyBjorn range of carriers, including the One, One Air, Miracle and Original options. The Bjorn has been a highly recommended product over the years, with many dads choosing this style of carrier over others. (See the BabyBjorn carrier range.)
Read what some of our members have said about BabyBjorn carriers:
- It really is a miracle that this carrier does not hurt your back, despite wearing it for long periods of time. Miranda G. VIC.
- Easy to use and adjust. Both my husband and I can use this with ease which gives us lots of options and flexibility for caring for our two children. Gabrielle A. VIC.
- Unisex colour so hubby can also wear. Great back support. Easy to use, just a few clicks and bubs is in. Chaya L. VIC.
- It's versatile and simple to put on quickly. We have renamed it the 'chest nest'! Holly K. NSW.
Tula Baby Carrier
Tula offers easy-to-use, versatile and long-lasting carriers that parents love for their comfort and ergonomics. They're available in a variety of prints and can last from birth through to four years. (See the Tula carrier range.)
Read what some of our members have said about the Tula carrier:
- Can comfortably carry my toddler without shoulder strain. Retains re-sell value and comes in awesome designs. Samantha S. VIC
- the most comfortable carrier I have tried! Baby settles the second he is in it and I no longer get a sore back and shoulders when I carry him like I did with other brands. Rebeckah T, SA
- This has been a lifesaver with twin 3 year olds and a baby. I can count on two hands how many times I've used my pram. Jane P. VIC
- Easy to learn to use. My bubba loves being close and snuggling. I get to have 2 hands to do shopping etc and can push trolley for groceries as well as have my bubba. I can teach dancing while she is on me. Helps her go to sleep for her bad colicy times. Nathania B. SA
Distributed by Fertile Mind here in Australia, parents say the Manduca organic baby carrier is comfortable for both wearer and baby. It's also adjustable, so both parents can use it, and is recommended by the ABA. (Read more about the Manduca carrier range.)
Read what some of our members have said about Manduca carriers:
- Super comfortable, versatile, and excellent range of adjustment options. I never leave the house without it! Rebekah L. NSW
- Inbuilt infant insert, adjustable body height, option to cross over straps for even weight distribution, sturdy waist belt. Peta F. WA
- Adaptable for different sizes partners, great newborn insert, good for baby's hips, easy to wash, good safety straps and buckles. Sarah P. WA
- Endorsed by Australian Breastfeeding Association and recommended to me by my physiotherapist. Easy to use and comfy for both myself and my daughter. Lauren W. SA
See more 2015 Essential Baby Award Winners
Best Prams/strollers 2015
Best Nappies (disposable & MCN) 2015
Best Nappy Bags 2015
Best Car Seats 2015
Best Family Cars 2015
Best High Chairs 2015
Best Cots 2015
Best Swaddles and Baby Sleeping Bags 2015
Best Maternity/Babywear Brands 2015
Essential Baby "Must Haves" 2015